Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 472 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Looks like a temporary setup.

Some of the remote big tesla charging stations have multiple megawatts of generators tucked behind some solar panels for screening.
1712845684631.png

OK. Here we go.

EV charging station connected to grid power. Let's say that's 90% non-CO2-emitting. EV naysayers "What happens when grid power goes down?"

Engineering answer: Backup power. YES it's fossil fuel powered. What percentage of the total energy supplied from that station, averaged over the year, comes from backup power? 0.1%, maybe? There's 87xx hours in a year. I've not had 8 hours cumulative of grid power down. Maybe 1 hour. I know it's worse in some places. It's still pretty negligible.

Naysayers see the backup power "LOOK! All the EV power is coming from fossil fuel!"

Uuuuuh no, only backup power, to address the grid-power-down naysay you made before.

Sheesh.

OK. Here we go.

EV charging station connected to grid power. Let's say that's 90% non-CO2-emitting. EV naysayers "What happens when grid power goes down?"

Engineering answer: Backup power. YES it's fossil fuel powered. What percentage of the total energy supplied from that station, averaged over the year, comes from backup power? 0.1%, maybe? There's 87xx hours in a year. I've not had 8 hours cumulative of grid power down. Maybe 1 hour. I know it's worse in some places. It's still pretty negligible.

Naysayers see the backup power "LOOK! All the EV power is coming from fossil fuel!"

Uuuuuh no, only backup power, to address the grid-power-down naysay you made before.

Sheesh.
In that picture with the generator fed by a tank of diesel dropped on the lawn beside it, it sure feels like a temporary solution not standby power.

Having at least some chargers powered by standby generators makes a lot of sense. A week long power outage (which has happened a few times in recent memory in Toronto) and no fossil fuel powered chargers and things could get complicated. No condo has a generator big enough to consider EV charging.

OK. Here we go.

Sheesh.
Even if that is true, it's still mildly amusing to see due to the potential irony of the situation.

In that picture with the generator fed by a tank of diesel dropped on the lawn beside it, it sure feels like a temporary solution not standby power.

To me, it looks like a contrived situation, created specifically for purposes of clickbait.

Out of Spec Reviews has a portable diesel generator and charging station that they've been using after their "run it until dead" EV range tests reach their predictable and inevitable end. No other way to find out how big the bottom buffer is. They tow the whole contraption with a Rivian. Impractical to use F150 Lightning export power because it would take too long.

Sooner or later a picture of that is going to show up with stupid comments on social media...

To me, it looks like a contrived situation, created specifically for purposes of clickbait.

Out of Spec Reviews has a portable diesel generator and charging station that they've been using after their "run it until dead" EV range tests reach their predictable and inevitable end. No other way to find out how big the bottom buffer is. They tow the whole contraption with a Rivian. Impractical to use F150 Lightning export power because it would take too long.

Sooner or later a picture of that is going to show up with stupid comments on social media...
I'm surprised they don't just tow the dead vehicle with regen braking engaged. That charges them really quickly. There may be issues trying that from dead dead though.

Speaking of buffer, a YouTuber drove a Polestar 2 (what I have) and found it went an extra 20 km after the reading went to zero. Good to know but I'll never willingly test that out myself.

Speaking of buffer, a YouTuber drove a Polestar 2 (what I have) and found it went an extra 20 km after the reading went to zero. Good to know but I'll never willingly test that out myself.
Just bring a portable genny! 😁

Reactions: LBV
Real men just keep an adapter cable and one of these in the trunk:
71Ys9VT7FQL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I'm surprised they don't just tow the dead vehicle with regen braking engaged. That charges them really quickly. There may be issues trying that from dead dead though.

With the cybertruck they had to bring a flatbed with a winch (and tow that behind the F150 Lightning) because the cybertruck wouldn't play nice with the charging station. Go figure.

With the cybertruck they had to bring a flatbed with a winch (and tow that behind the F150 Lightning) because the cybertruck wouldn't play nice with the charging station. Go figure.
Given the loads that EV charging can bring online quickly, it doesn't surprise me that it could cause issues with a generator. Easy enough to fix in charger logic if you wanted to (slower ramp to allow generator to keep up instead of a big step that causes both the generator and charger to freak out).

Given the loads that EV charging can bring online quickly, it doesn't surprise me that it could cause issues with a generator. Easy enough to fix in charger logic if you wanted to (slower ramp to allow generator to keep up instead of a big step that causes both the generator and charger to freak out).

They already ramp up over several seconds.

Edit: in fairness, I don't know if it's the car ramping up requested power, or the station ramping up available power.

Last edited:
EV naysayers "What happens when grid power goes down?"

My favourite response to this statement is "How do you get gas when all the gas stations have no power either to run the pumps?".

I only wish I could see the look of cognitive dissonance on their faces through the internet, but the fact they usually shut up and stop commenting tells you all you need to know about how far they thought through their statement before just repeating tripe they found online in the heat of the moment.

Found this pic of cybertrkkk with the bed floor and inner side panels removed.

On the one hand, it's good that those panels can be removed if something being carried does some damage.

On the other hand, their fancy gigacasting has pockets facing upward underneath the vehicle and with no drain holes, which will trap water and dirt. It's aluminium, so it isn't a rust problem, but it isn't wonderful.

And their cable routing is a mess. Note the size of the orange cables leading to the charge port. That's a lot of copper. I don't know where their onboard charger module is within the vehicle ... but it would have cost less to put the charge port closer to wherever it is ... at a minimum, in front of the wheelhouse instead of behind.

Back
Top Bottom