Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 156 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

For those in this thread who missed the earlier silliness about hydrogen, it should be kept in mind that there’s a grand total of (last I checked) TWO filling stations in the entire province. It may actually only be one now, in Toronto.

Coming from someone who relentlessly poked fun at how “inconvenient” charging on the road with an EV is (despite there being tens of thousands of public charging stations across the province now) this is pretty rich.

So, let’s continue.

The article you linked is from 2014....was there nothing more recent/relevant?

Dead in the water. It doesn't matter how well they work in cold weather if there isn't anywhere to refill them. EVs very easily piggyback on top of our existing electrical distribution infrastructure. Hydrogen doesn't. And we've gone in circles about this very topic already in this very thread. Nothing has changed since, except that more EVs are on the market, more are on the road, more are on the horizon, and more charging stations have been built!

All electric vehicles have government mandated trackers, so how long before the vehicle decides where you can and cant go. You want fast food today, sorry you have already had your junk food limit for the week.

All electric vehicles have government mandated trackers, so how long before the vehicle decides where you can and cant go. You want fast food today, sorry you have already had your junk food limit for the week.

This happened to me the other day. Went to get my weekly McDos and the ****ing car just wouldn't do it. Refused outright. I couldn't believe it. I was at the drive-thru speaker, the car's window went up on its own, right turn signal came on, started driving away. I asked it, what the hell, and Trudeau came over the speaker and told me I've had 'nuff fast food for the week and I'd have to change my gender to something neutral.

Put yer tinfoil hat away.

Cite source of that. (I have heard about this for vehicles sold in China, but not here.)

Bear in mind that every GM car, electric or otherwise, comes with OnStar, and every Tesla has their own proprietary system. These systems do indeed know where the vehicle is and what it's doing, but they are certainly not used for restricting where the vehicle can go, and the extent to which these systems keep track of the vehicle's whereabouts and who can access that information has been the subject of court cases. I'd be more suspicious of Tesla's system than OnStar.

The only such system that I have actual experience with is UConnect, and it's incapable of communicating with the outside world unless you pair it with a cell phone, and that's something that you obviously opt into by taking deliberate actions of your own account.

Also bear in mind that every recent cell phone knows where it is. If someone wants to track your movements, that's an easier route than doing it via the car. Do you have a cell phone??

I have a cell, but i dont have fingerprint ID or face detection. People would have been very ****** about giving fingerprints let alone face detection, twenty years ago, now they just give up privacy. It will only get worse. When all vehicles drive themselves it will be much easier to control the people.

Last edited:
All electric vehicles have government mandated trackers.

ops.meme_.nba_-1024x768.jpg

Remember when i said oil is only going to go down, here we are.

Not sure what that has to do with “government mandated trackers” supposedly special to EV’s?

The OnStar in my Volt doesn’t even work because the hardware was never upgraded after the demise of the CDMA cellphone network.

You’re more likely to be tracked by the government (if you’re one of those conspiratorial types who think they care enough to be bothered) from that cellphone you’re carrying vs your vehicle. Cellphones are easily triangulated by your position to cell towers alone, much less anything else.

Where in that story was it mentioned that costs increased?

It wasn't but when you increase the cost to build something, it gets passed to the people that pay for using it. Whether this is through higher prices when you buy a parking spot or a highly daily rate to use one, the person parking is going to pay the difference whether they use the plug or not. The exception could be it they make enough margin on the charging to pay for all of the wiring being installed for spaces that aren't using electricity. I can't see this being viable though as people would try to charge somewhere cheaper.

The extra cost of running a cable from the electrical panel to the garage when the house is at a rough-framed state (remember, this only applies to new construction) and the electricians are running around doing the wiring for the rest of the house anyhow, is trivial. Average price of a house in North Van is well beyond $1 million. A few metres of cable, an extra box, and an extra double breaker in the panel ... peanuts. They should be requiring a 240v 40A outlet in *every* new-construction residential garage, *everywhere*.

Underground parking lots, for new construction, the situation isn't a lot different. They still have to install boxes and run cables for lighting. It's not a big cost adder to run a few more cables and outlets.

Large outdoor parking lots are potentially a different story depending on the distance to the closest building. Still, I've stayed at a hotel in Chapleau, ON that had a plug for everyone's block heater to every spot in their parking lot ...

The extra cost of running a cable from the electrical panel to the garage when the house is at a rough-framed state (remember, this only applies to new construction) and the electricians are running around doing the wiring for the rest of the house anyhow, is trivial. Average price of a house in North Van is well beyond $1 million. A few metres of cable, an extra box, and an extra double breaker in the panel ... peanuts. They should be requiring a 240v 40A outlet in *every* new-construction residential garage, *everywhere*.

Underground parking lots, for new construction, the situation isn't a lot different. They still have to install boxes and run cables for lighting. It's not a big cost adder to run a few more cables and outlets.

Large outdoor parking lots are potentially a different story depending on the distance to the closest building. Still, I've stayed at a hotel in Chapleau, ON that had a plug for everyone's block heater to every spot in their parking lot ...

Agree completely on the houses.

On the larger scale developments like condos, this is a big expense. Adding hundreds of 20 kW outlets will likely require upsizing the feed lines and transformer for the building (although if 20 kW isn't specified, most will probably be 6 kW so that helps). Offhand does anyone know how many EV charging outlets can be on a circuit? I'd think only one per circuit for safety, but holy crap that's a lot of wiring/sub panels needed for a condo. If they use individual metering there's another cost to include.

For commercial applications, I'd probably be putting a pad mount transformer close to the street and having the 20% of spots with chargers as far as possible from the entrance (probably less copper, less likely for ICE vehicles to take the spots and you don't want people parking for long in the spots closest to the stores).

The requirement for 20% of visitor spots makes no sense to me. In small developments, this is a single charger. It makes more sense for me to be in all visitor spots if you are requiring it for all residential spots.

Edit:
I just pulled the drawings for a highrise development under construction and they have ~6.5 MVA incoming. With ~950 parking spaces, giving each one 20 kW would need another 19 MW. I expect that there will be a loading factor that should be in the calculation which will reduce the load, but we are talking about roughly a doubling (or more) of the power requirement of the development.

Last edited:
No question there's a non-zero cost, but compared to what they're selling condo units for multiplied by the number of units per building, the extra cost of running the wiring for the charging stations at the time of construction disappears as "noise".

It's also quite likely that this will become be an additional selling feature, thus ending up being a net positive.

Right now, with EVs being a tiny proportion of the vehicles on the road, perhaps not, but if the EV market share does what many in the auto industry are predicting, people are going to be looking for buildings that have charging capability.

I have a cell, but i dont have fingerprint ID or face detection. People would have been very ****** about giving fingerprints let alone face detection, twenty years ago, now they just give up privacy. It will only get worse. When all vehicles drive themselves it will be much easier to control the people.

cool-story-bro-needs-more-chemtrails.jpg

The article you linked is from 2014....was there nothing more recent/relevant?

Blackberry earned $55M last quarter and is up 6%. Don't expect to hear back from him until he's finished spamming all his cell phone forums/threads.

Agree completely on the houses.

On the larger scale developments like condos, this is a big expense. Adding hundreds of 20 kW

Except the standard accepted Level2 speed is 6kw, not 20. That’s more than enough to fully charge even the largest EV’s in under 10 hours (typically around 8 hours) which constitutes a normal “overnight” charge that most EV owners do.

Faster chargers are not necessary in a “home base” environment. Super fast chargers are what’s needed when you’re travelling.

As for metering, many commercial EVSE’s can do this in their hardware directly so no separate metering equipment is necessary. Per user, per vehicle, time of day, kWh consumed, how long plugged in....all easy metrics to gather.

And in worse case scenarios where load capacity is an issue, many networked EVSE’s can institute automatic load forming/sharing based on configured “This is how many amps all you guys have to work with, do your best” software configuration.

In the end it’s not as big a deal as many would believe, especially with most EVSE’s charge during the night when other more traditional electrical loads in a home or building complex (condo for example) are little to none anyways.

Saw this at work yesterday.

Pins all mashed up, I guess it is possible to fit a square peg in a round hole.

876a0773fad8a1edf952505e8ecfae28.jpg

Back
Top Bottom