Advanced Rider Training, Why dont you take it? | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Advanced Rider Training, Why dont you take it?

I took the Lee Parks level 1 last year...it was amazing...i had a flight to catch the same day so missed part of the course...

to this day! i feel I shouldda skipped my flight to complete the course :p

honestly, ppl need to give it a try...once they do, they'll love it!

Edit: and with a little reasearch , one can find after the basic training, refresher courses get cheaper...100 bucks at start of every season, to refresh your riding skills makes sense...skip the coffee for 2 months + eat healthy = 100 bucks saved for moto course for every season :) !

Last edited:
I spent roughly $5-$600 on a course (tires/fuel/fees) and took a day off work this summer. After a few calls/emails and discussing with the owner where my skill level is he assured me I would learn somthing and his course would help me. I've only taken the M1 exit course and quite a few MX schools so I'm very interested in learning what I'm doing right or wrong and what I can do to go faster. In the first 15 min of being there I realized I was in the wrong place. I spent the day burning up what was left of a set of slicks and dodging the other riders. I don't blame the school, I still had fun and would absolutely %100 reccomend it to anyone who is starting out on the track but this has made me realize that what I'm specifically looking for isn't offered in Canada.

I have seen who some of the the course trainers are and I will pass thank you very much.... I am talking street related courses, not track
In my Free time I teach all types of motorsports at many levels, Dirt, Street, Track etc. I have been involved in Motorsports Education for 20 years and over the years I have noticed it has always been very difficult to get riders to participate or take any type of training once they learn how to ride, and many do not get training to learn how to ride in the first place either.

I know that some groups are more likely to search out rider training programs, advanced training programs and participate in training than others, ie. from my experience BMW riders tend to be represented in advanced riding classes way above the average and disproportionately in relation to the numbers of bikes sold and on the road. In some Classes they can account for almost 1/3 of the riders in advanced classes. (It does vary by region)

So my Question is to you the riders, Why do YOU not look for and participate in rider training, Advanced training etc. Why are you not trying to become a better rider and in turn a safer and more responsible rider? If you have taken a basic Rider course for a license or to learn why did you not follow up with more and advanced training?

I like to equate rider training to our formal education, completion of the Basic classes like the MSF BRC is about the same as graduating from the 3rd grade. You did not quite school after the third grade but most riders tend to be of the opinion that the 3rd grade level of rider education is enough. There is so much more out there that can make you a better rider, and in turn might actually even save your life, so what prevents you from wanting to be better? I know some of you think, "I am a good rider" if that is the case, good in comparison to who? Don't you want to be better? Even track day guys? If you are not mixing it up with Rossi you can be better, so again whats the deal?

I am looking for the honest opinions of those who have not taken training, maybe you thought about it but just never did? Again why? Advanced training?? There is so much out there what is holding you back?

Last edited:
The point is, all of our comfort zones decrease as we gain more responsibility in life.

That's why before I started racing I took out personal insurance. So when motophobes ask me what would happen to my wife if I died on the track I reply "Two things: she'd be rich, and single."

That's why before I started racing I took out personal insurance. So when motophobes ask me what would happen to my wife if I died on the track I reply "Two things: she'd be rich, and single."

Din Ding, we have a winner for best answer. Your prize: Free track prep by Inreb. Where shall I bring my bucket of spanners and hammers?

LOL, guess I'm good for one every couple years :)

But onto the OP's question... yes I do value advanced training but haven't done any past my first year of riding (street and track). I found that the track courses definitely improved my bike control on the street, and like many, I'd buy into the idea that it will make me a safer rider. But there's probably no evidence that improving your street riding to an "advanced" level actually decreases your chance of having an accident. Not to say it doesn't, just there's no information stating even that would be a pay-off for the extra coursework. In my mind, that's probably a huge factor for many.

just an observation
if a rider does bring their bike, does anyone inspect it first e.g. setup the suspension for their weight
do they check the braking system to make sure it is working properly
do they check the tire pressure and tires for improper wear
fork seals
steering damper for air or leaks
chain slack

what point is getting on the track to learn when your machine is already the starting point for failure

just an observation
if a rider does bring their bike, does anyone inspect it first e.g. setup the suspension for their weight
fork seals
chain slack

what point is getting on the track to learn when your machine is already the starting point for failure

I beleive that is your/our responsibilty as riders to make sure all that is taken care of BEFORE coming in for track lessons....

..No school I've heard gives you all that. Does your school/college/univ. make sure you have pens,paper, textbooks, before the instruction begins? I do not think so. They do have a "book store" close by so you go buy all the stuff you need before you go "back to school"

Same thing. The track has a "shop" that performs all those checks for you! before you go to the track but you pay for it as you would anywhere else...

Why are you not trying to become a better rider and in turn a safer and more responsible rider?

WTF rules that a course is the only way to become a "better", "safer" and "more responsible" rider? Bit presumptuous there.

My way to learn is on my own. When I have come across situations/scenarios where I was uncomfortable, or not 100% happy how I handled it, I practice it. Watching "A Twist of the Wrist II" was a good framework for evaluating how I respond to situations, and I worked at managing SR's, over and over, a majority of my meager 100,000 km riding has been solo, where I can focus on my riding, not on the fast food photography and facebook photo ops. I got into group riding earlier than I should have, and tried unsuccessfully to take out a guard rail, but that 1 turn that was the start to my education.

WTF rules that a course is the only way to become a "better", "safer" and "more responsible" rider? Bit presumptuous there.

My way to learn is on my own. When I have come across situations/scenarios where I was uncomfortable, or not 100% happy how I handled it, I practice it.

Glad to see somebody see it my way (had a meltdown earlier in the thread) as well. I wonder how many courses King Kenny Roberts took? I read an interview (early '80's) with KKR where he said one of his major training techniques is visualization. He'd lay in the bathtub and try to imagine every possible race track scenario, many which he'd already experienced, and visualize his response to them. In his mind the responses were in packets hanging on the wall. He just had to reach for it and act on it quickly, no thinking. That's how I ride, no thinking.:glasses2:

I beleive that is your/our responsibilty as riders to make sure all that is taken care of BEFORE coming in for track lessons....

..No school I've heard gives you all that. Does your school/college/univ. make sure you have pens,paper, textbooks, before the instruction begins? I do not think so. They do have a "book store" close by so you go buy all the stuff you need before you go "back to school"

Same thing. The track has a "shop" that performs all those checks for you! before you go to the track but you pay for it as you would anywhere else...

you miss the entire point but carry on

Nevermind... everyone in this thread has their mind made up.

Last edited:
I've seen plenty of riders out on the streets that should take more courses. Heck I've seen maybe 3 riders this season that I thought "that guy knows what he's doing". The amount of km's ridden doesn't mean squat when talking about skill level. Taking a advanced riding course will teach you how to control your bike better so that in a situation where you need to apply more lean angle or trail brake your not going to hit a guard rail or lay the bike down because you thought you were at the bikes limits.

Everyone has something to learn no matter what skill level you think you have and by thinking you're learning everything by racking on km is ignorant.

just an observation
fork seals
chain slack

you miss the entire point but carry on

Oh F%$^! I beleive I did miss the point...your first sentence threw me off...

Some one throw a facepalm pic now! :p

Had a lady that was taking the sheridan college bike course ask me if I push steered(counter steer) I said yes it is the only way to steer a motorcycle. Her husband who had been riding for 20+years said he did not do that. When asked how he steers he could not explain how. When pressed on the issue of how he turns he got angry and left. Some people don't want to know they have no idea what they are doing. How has he survived on the street? By riding very slowly holding up traffic for miles. Can't fix stupid.

Had a lady that was taking the sheridan college bike course ask me if I push steered(counter steer) I said yes it is the only way to steer a motorcycle. Her husband who had been riding for 20+years said he did not do that. When asked how he steers he could not explain how. When pressed on the issue of how he turns he got angry and left. Some people don't want to know they have no idea what they are doing. How has he survived on the street? By riding very slowly holding up traffic for miles. Can't fix stupid.

what's the point in pressing other then trying to embarrass the guy because you "know more" ? You know and I know and many others here know he is counter steering, he just doesn't know it. He would never make it around a bend if he didn't. Courses should be to educate, and teach skills that students can use some of which they may or not be consciously aware of.

I have seen who some of the the course trainers are and I will pass thank you very much.... I am talking street related courses, not track
This times a million.....

This can be a problem. But it is not an all encompasing one. I know a doctor who is a quack. Does not mean all the others are and so I should not see a doctor if I am ill. I do however agree it is yet another reason why somone might not take training. And if there is a bad instructor out there make sure the organization he or she works with knows. That is something that can be fixed.

Back
Top Bottom