600cc bikes in Superbike/Open - You can do it! | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

600cc bikes in Superbike/Open - You can do it!

yea but as a racer I would imagine you want to compete with better faster riders so you can challenge yourself and get better, I would think so

...which is I guess your initial point

We do compete with better faster riders....being in rookie was where u r meant to start (im guessing) and thats what I did. first round I ran the two classes that I hoped I would be competitive in. As there is money for top three at the end of the year I was hopefull I could do well enough to help pay for my my race year. I also went in Dunlop to see if I could win some tires to help keep costs down.

I won both races in the first round which blew me away so for the next round I raced those two classes and 600 as well (moving into tougher classes). Open sprint and superbike are meant for bigger bikes. Im not saying those with smaller bikes cant do well but there are other classes that are just as much fun and have more people to race with.

Everyone need to let the rookies (fast or slow) have their 6 rounds. instead of saying get out of the class so I can do better why not go pick their brain or ride with them to find out why they r faster. I wanted two race two people that were as fast if not faster than me last round and didnt get the chance. I was disapointed because I want to challenge and be challenged.

What are the bike restrictions in these classes?

Hmmm, on an average weekend how modified are the competitor bikes? What sort of hp figures would you see out of the 1000s, how common are aftermarket wheels/calipers etc etc?

Do it!!

check it out here.
http://soaracing.ca/html/2012_rulebook.htm#Section14

But basically.. Superbike has some cc restrictions. 1000cc inline 4, 1200cc twin, etc, and some modification restrictions. Open sprint means anything goes!

We do compete with better faster riders....being in rookie was where u r meant to start (im guessing) and thats what I did. first round I ran the two classes that I hoped I would be competitive in. As there is money for top three at the end of the year I was hopefull I could do well enough to help pay for my my race year. I also went in Dunlop to see if I could win some tires to help keep costs down.

I won both races in the first round which blew me away so for the next round I raced those two classes and 600 as well (moving into tougher classes). Open sprint and superbike are meant for bigger bikes. Im not saying those with smaller bikes cant do well but there are other classes that are just as much fun and have more people to race with.

Everyone need to let the rookies (fast or slow) have their 6 rounds. instead of saying get out of the class so I can do better why not go pick their brain or ride with them to find out why they r faster. I wanted two race two people that were as fast if not faster than me last round and didnt get the chance. I was disapointed because I want to challenge and be challenged.
I think you misunderstood, I agree that if you start in a class then finish the year in that class, but why start in a class you know you have already been on for a season or two and are to fast for instead of moving on to where you may not be "as competitive" but perhaps get better and faster

Its like Lorenzo staying in moto2 instead of moving to MotoGP because he wanted to win more often

Last edited:
Hmmm, on an average weekend how modified are the competitor bikes? What sort of hp figures would you see out of the 1000s, how common are aftermarket wheels/calipers etc etc?

Haven't seen any wheel/caliper mods other than oem swapping for calipers. Most guys have suspension mods, exhaust/tune mabie more. Not sure on hp #'s either but at shannonville the only time I get an advantage on the 600's is down the back straight really. It comes down more to the rider than the bike at this level. A fast bike will help but in the end it won't win.

I should have started in novice but because I'm on a 1000 I wasn't allowed. Glad I didn't, doing just fine in AM. There was a new rider that was bumped out after the first race to AM from novice as well, why stay in a class that your running away in? 6 rounds in novice when you can clearly ride in AM is a waste of a season IMHO and a missed opportunity for YOU to learn from faster riders instead.

I should have started in novice but because I'm on a 1000 I wasn't allowed. Glad I didn't, doing just fine in AM. There was a new rider that was bumped out after the first race to AM from novice as well, why stay in a class that your running away in? 6 rounds in novice when you can clearly ride in AM is a waste of a season IMHO and a missed opportunity for YOU to learn from faster riders instead.

because there is a rookie title and you can clean up in tire money by cherrypicking in that class. the way its set up i dont blame anyone for running the full season

because there is a rookie title and you can clean up in tire money by cherrypicking in that class. the way its set up i dont blame anyone for running the full season
Exactly my point. Maybe the rules of rookie should be revised, don't know.

Don't get me wrong, I am fairly new racing, as soon as I get any better, I will move on

Last edited:

Pretty standard race bike modifications, nothing too crazy. I.don't know anyone running upgraded wheels or fancy calipers.

I have Attack clamps on my 10R, that's about as fancy as it gets.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

read the whole post....I did move up in the second round and ride with the AM.

I think you misunderstood, I agree that if you start in a class then finish the year in that class, but why start in a class you know you have already been on for a season or two and are to fast for instead of moving on to where you may not be "as competitive" but perhaps get better and faster

Its like Lorenzo staying in moto2 instead of moving to MotoGP because he wanted to win more often

I didnt misunderstand. I have not been racing for one or two seasons. I have race for four rounds....that started at the beginning of this season. If the rules should be changed that you can only race in rookie for your first season whether you race one round or 6 I could go along with that.

I have gotten enough points now and I am done racing in rookie but I will still say that anyone that wants to race in rookie and quailifies to do so, should. new riders that are good make the other new riders better.

read the whole post....I did move up in the second round and ride with the AM.

You said you raced 600, didn't know that meant AM. Not all people are able to move from novice to AM in their first season and there isn't enough new riders each year to have a whole class of them either.

I think contingency is great for all riders but I also think that the pros are entitled to more than the AM and same compared to novice.

This is a thread about open sprint! Who's running it? :)
But really. I've raced two rounds in Rookie. It's a great place to start, if your eligible, run it! The round in July had over 30 bikes in it! Everyone for the most part has someone to have a fun race with. My first rookie race is what gave me the racing bug. It was so much fun. I finished at the back, but being out there with someone who I could change places with every lap made it worth it. BTW Open Sprint next round!

Rookie rules, like all rules are not perfect. You can have ridden trackdays for 3, 4, 5 or more years to the point you're doing 14's and 15's at TMP, or more importantly have some other background in motorbikes, then say "I'm a rookie cause I never raced" and then enter Rookie and slaughter house everyone. Having said that, it's not the riders fault for entering the class. All the power to them.

But, it's the organization should be the one keeping tabs on those running away and bump them up accordingly. When you're some 3,4,5 or 10 seconds faster than people in your class, it's time to go up. When no one mounts the slightest challenge to you, it's time to go up. It's the organizations job to do this, to enforce fairness in the series. Riders will always get what they can (rightfully so), but it doesn't mean it's fair. It is discouraging to new riders when there is no hope to run remotely close to the sharp end, and even more discouraging when you're getting lapped. How does that bring new riders to race?

Therefore Rookie in SOAR or Novice in RACE, it's up to the organizations to make sure that class stays fair, because out of all the classes, that's the one where people can cherrypick (there's no background check on a riders history), and it's also the class that brings new riders to the racing world, it's the gateway class to racing, more or less, so it's important to control.

Now, how about them 600s in Opensprint

Well that's a tangent!! But to some extent I agree.

The easiest way to eliminate the cherrypicking would be to award no points in the class and have no championship. Also eliminate tire money from rookie. And get rid of the 6 weekend rule.

I have a different view of what a rookie class should be than SOAR. I think RACE is closer to what I think it should be.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

The easiest way to eliminate the cherrypicking would be to award no points in the class and have no championship. Also eliminate tire money from rookie. And get rid of the 6 weekend rule.

Agreed.... Some people are running more than 6 rookies just for fun/practice, but if they ever get podium and someone finds out/protests, there goes their fun.

Anyway, I'm running Open Sprint for the first time next weekend (R6)... should be an interesting one!

Back
Top Bottom