600cc bikes in Superbike/Open - You can do it! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

600cc bikes in Superbike/Open - You can do it!

Novices and a lot of intermediates are not faster on 1000s. Some tracks are harder to ride on a 1000 than a 600. One second is not negligable. Pros will almost always win on a 1000 vs. a 600.

Done!

Your both 100% correct but I think the whole point of this thread is aimed at the amature level. There were more 600's in the AM superbike class this weekend at shannonville than 1000's. 1st and 2nd were both 600's, maybe that'll change when everyone's here and not split up between a regional/national.

Last edited:
How many recent RACE AM Superbike champions were on 1000cc bikes? How many National AM Superbike champions were on 1000cc bikes? How many SOAR Nov Superbike or Nov Open Sprint champions were on 1000cc bikes? Very few.

Yes, I am talking about Novice/AM specifically.. not Expert/Pro. Yes, Mosport certainly offers an advantage to the big bikes.

Your both 100% correct but I think the whole point of this thread is aimed at the amature level. There were more 600's in the AM superbike class this weekend at shannonville than 1000's. 1st and 2nd were both 600's, maybe that'll change when everyone's here and not split up between a regional/national.

There were only 3 1000cc bikes at the Shannonville national in AM Superbike. Trevor Daley, Tim Robbins (or Robinson? i forget), and one other guy on a GSXR1000. Trevor and Tim are fast, the other guy is decent. Still a lot of 600s at the front though.

How many recent RACE AM Superbike champions were on 1000cc bikes? How many National AM Superbike champions were on 1000cc bikes? How many SOAR Nov Superbike or Nov Open Sprint champions were on 1000cc bikes? Very few.

Yes, I am talking about Novice/AM specifically.. not Expert/Pro. Yes, Mosport certainly offers an advantage to the big bikes.

I agree 100% :)

All that I am saying is that if you have to EQUAL riders, the 1000 wins almost every time. But a 600 can win (and does) but the 600 rider may have to take more risks to win.

NOW, I agree with you that the 600's should come out and play in those SuperBike and Open Sprint Classes, they have a good shot.

As for mosport, the 600's didn't make it past 7th the first dry race last season http://csbk.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=623&Itemid=36 (Jody and Aubrey were on 1000's)

I agree 100% :)

All that I am saying is that if you have to EQUAL riders, the 1000 wins almost every time. But a 600 can win (and does) but the 600 rider may have to take more risks to win.

NOW, I agree with you that the 600's should come out and play in those SuperBike and Open Sprint Classes, they have a good shot.

As for mosport, the 600's didn't make it past 7th the first dry race last season http://csbk.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=623&Itemid=36 (Jody and Aubrey were on 1000's)

IIRC, Mosport is one of the fastest (average speed over a full lap) tracks in North America. A 1m25s lap time (very fast amateur time) gives an average speed of 169km/hr. Mosport is a special case, it doesn't really represent what a mixed field would be like at most other tracks.

IIRC, Mosport is one of the fastest (average speed over a full lap) tracks in North America. A 1m25s lap time (very fast amateur time) gives an average speed of 169km/hr. Mosport is a special case, it doesn't really represent what a mixed field would be like at most other tracks.

I see what you are doing here... your just looking for people to beat up on with your fancy 1000 :D

We had a good sized grid for Open Sprint this past weekend!!! But oddly an even smaller grid in Superbike.... that's too bad, from what I've been told Nov Superbike was one of the best races to watch of the whole weekend.

After reading this and about to get a lot of seat time over the two months. I think I am going to enter in Open Sprint in the September round!

The wife will be making her triumphant return to the track for that round and I can't just sit around so I'll probably hop into the Open sprint too with my old beat up 600.

The wife will be making her triumphant return to the track for that round and I can't just sit around so I'll probably hop into the Open sprint too with my old beat up 600.

Excellent! It's been a while since i've ridden with you, Rob. I have heard that you're doing pretty well this year ;)

If you’re on a 600 and are exploring the options of what classes you could run in, I suggest taking a closer look at Open Sprint and Superbike. Realistically Grand Bend and TMP do not offer any advantage to the big cc bikes. What they gain in horsepower down the straight sections they lose in agility in the tight sections.

Further, if you think about your chances of doing well you’re far more likely to collect some tire money and get on a podium in Superbike or Open Sprint than you are in 600 Extreme even though you’re on a 600. Don’t be intimidated just because you’re on a 600, if you do well in 600 Extreme you’ll do even better in Superbike or Open. For the tires that pay contingency, if you finish 5[SUP]th[/SUP] in either class you’ll pretty much earn back your entry fee so it is almost a free class! ;) If you’re no longer able to run Rookie due to experience there are a lot of guys that choose 600 Extreme and Superbike. As you newer guys graduate from Rookie and perhaps are looking for a 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] class to replace it I would suggest either Superbike or Open Sprint.

I like bigger grids! Come get some tire money! Come play with the big bikes! Actually, at SOAR round 2 this year I was on the only 1000cc bike in Open Sprint and there were only two of us in Superbike.

Discuss? Why? Why not?

Go!
Yes please, move the hell out of rookie so i can finish in a better place ;)

On a serious note, i was surprised seeing guys on Rookie running 1:09, maybe time to move on! I know I would if i was that fast

Sorry, kind of on topic!!

Yes please, move the hell out of rookie so i can finish in a better place ;)

On a serious note, i was surprised seeing guys on Rookie running 1:09, maybe time to move on! I know I would if i was that fast

Sorry, kind of on topic!!

Rookie has championship points and pays out tire contingency. Both of which encourage riders to stay in Rookie.

Rookie has championship points and pays out tire contingency. Both of which encourage riders to stay in Rookie.
yea but as a racer I would imagine you want to compete with better faster riders so you can challenge yourself and get better, I would think so

...which is I guess your initial point

Zx600 ^^ Is that Rick Roberts old bike in your avatar? Also! Come do Open Sprint Round 5!! I looked up grids for round 4 and it was pretty small. It'll be fun!

Back
Top Bottom