5 Day Ontario Trip Itinerary - Help needed | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

5 Day Ontario Trip Itinerary - Help needed

If it was me i would try to spend a day or so touring manatoulin, lots of great riding to be had.

It’s a boring ride south after you get off the ferry. But definitely hit the 129 if you’ve never rode it before

If it was me i would try to spend a day or so touring manatoulin, lots of great riding to be had.

It’s a boring ride south after you get off the ferry. But definitely hit the 129 if you’ve never rode it before
Hwy 6 is boring for sure. Get off it at Lions Head and follow cty rd 9 all the way down to Wiarton.

Thanks. So you recommend the 129 and down from Manatoulin, and not the 11 all the way back from Nipigon?
I would agree - 129 and Manitoulin.

Hwy 11 gets old pretty fast, the scenery doesn't change that much, the roads are very wide open and not challenging at all. Heading down the 129 will be fun on the bottom half, the #6 into Manitoulin is great, you will see a swing bridge in Little Current and then you take the ferry - all things that are far more interesting than Hwy 11. If you gave time, then do explore Manitoulin for a bit.

Thanks! That settles it then. I will keep my ferry booking for the 4th.

Oh btw @shanekingsley, you stopped at the coach house motel in jackfish on your TransCanada ride. Do you recommend it, in case I reach that far on the 1st day? It's looks quite cozy and remote.
Yeah it was a nice place and I would recommend it. Just know that the cell reception there is a bit poor and the wifi was not that great either. Regardless, it was a nice spot with clean and comfortable rooms.

After I got home I showed my Mom the whole trip I did and she told me that a year or so ago she actually stayed in the Jackfish Lake Motel (or something like that) which is just north of the Coach House Motel. She really liked that motel, if you also wanted to look into that as an option.

edit: here's some reviews of the Jack Fish Lake Cottages: Jackfish Lake Cottages - Reviews & Photos (Terrace Bay, Ontario) - Specialty Hotel - Tripadvisor

Yeah it was a nice place and I would recommend it. Just know that the cell reception there is a bit poor and the wifi was not that great either. Regardless, it was a nice spot with clean and comfortable rooms.

After I got home I showed my Mom the whole trip I did and she told me that a year or so ago she actually stayed in the Jackfish Lake Motel (or something like that) which is just north of the Coach House Motel. She really liked that motel, if you also wanted to look into that as an option.
Great. Thank you..

Have
Thanks. I will look up those cottages as well. Unfortunately the coach house motel is closed for a couple of weeks. I just called them and the lady that answered mentioned that her husband is ill and thus they have shut down for a few weeks.
you ever tried camping, Lots of camp spots along the way. Plus it’s a whole other experience when you’re not having to worry about getting a room

Kurt.

Did this route 2 weeks ago.
Greater Sudbury to Wawa

Stayed at this lodge, great place. Bring a Fishing Rod, if you can.

Great riding.

Kurt.

Did this route 2 weeks ago.
Greater Sudbury to Wawa

Stayed at this lodge, great place. Bring a Fishing Rod, if you can.

Great riding.
That's a lovely location. Can consider this on the return trip. I will call them up.

................ I was mapping fuel stops on the way as my target time of departure is around 2am on the coming Wednesday....................

I'm back from a trip to Nipigon a few weeks ago, 3,200 km over 5 nights/6 days.

If you're taking 11 back you do need to map out your fuel stops carefully.

You really need to stay off the roads when it is dark. The roads are teeming with wildlife after dark, in particular late night. I wouldn't feel comfortable on the northern parts of the 400 or 11 to Sudbury after sunset. Is this supposed to be a pleasure trip? Why on earth would you be leaving at 2AM? Get up in the AM when the critters are off the road and enjoy the ride. There is some beautiful scenery and 129 is a great road, relatively speaking.

I'm back from a trip to Nipigon a few weeks ago, 3,200 km over 5 nights/6 days.

If you're taking 11 back you do need to map out your fuel stops carefully.

You really need to stay off the roads when it is dark. The roads are teeming with wildlife after dark, in particular late night. I wouldn't feel comfortable on the northern parts of the 400 or 11 to Sudbury after sunset. Is this supposed to be a pleasure trip? Why on earth would you be leaving at 2AM? Get up in the AM when the critters are off the road and enjoy the ride. There is some beautiful scenery and 129 is a great road, relatively speaking.

Noted.

I just came back from a trip to Sudbury/Killarney last week and the portion of 400 uptill Sudbury is quite mundane. So the idea was to cross the boring part till sunrise. But I have no intention of confronting wildlife on the road, and if that is expected, perhaps 5am departure would be a better time.

Noted.

I just came back from a trip to Sudbury/Killarney last week and the portion of 400 uptill Sudbury is quite mundane. So the idea was to cross the boring part till sunrise. But I have no intention of confronting wildlife on the road, and if that is expected, perhaps 5am departure would be a better time.
Be sure to bring your warm clothing, it was +2 in Sudbury a couple of mornings last week. Unless you’re looking at doing later morning starts.

Back
Top Bottom