5 Day Ontario Trip Itinerary - Help needed | GTAMotorcycle.com

5 Day Ontario Trip Itinerary - Help needed

kurtrules

Hi All,

I needed some help in creating an itinerary for a 5 day/4 night trip, preferably within Ontario from the 24th-28th July of this year. I have 10 days off, from which I can only spare 5 for my ride. The rest, will be spent on a family trip (need to plan that as well!)

I was keen on doing the Algoma country; have read good things about the area, scenery and route. Also, this would be the 1st time I try out moto-camping. Who knows, I may end up liking it, else, I'll just stick to motels/quality inns.

Day 1: Burlington - Tobermory - Manatoulin Island ferry - Espanola (Overnight at a motel)
Day 2: Espanola - Elliot Lake (leave the Trans-Canada) - go around the deer trail - Sault St. Marie - Lake Superior Provincial Park (Overnight Camp)
Day 3: Provincial Park - Wawa - take 129 all the way down to Blind River - Stay Somewhere (Killarney Provincial Park??)
Day 4: Somewhere - Somewhere else (Overnight at a motel)
Day 5: Somewhere else - Burlington

Idea is to keep it a laid back and relaxed ride of around 500-700kms each day average, filled with explorations, food & photography.
Need help in planning day 4 & 5, or better ideas for the whole 5 days.

Thanks!

Edit: Additional assistance on camping gear also appreciated. I need to buy a tent, sleeping bag etc.

Once you sort out your itinerary and precise timing you should book (or try to book) hotels/motels/campgrounds ASAP. Based on some trip planning I've done for the same area for early June you may find very limited accomodation options and many sold out venues. I'm doing a weekday trip and still had issues getting rooms. You're planning this trip in prime vacation time when there will be huge demand.

Once you sort out your itinerary and precise timing you should book (or try to book) hotels/motels/campgrounds ASAP. Based on some trip planning I've done for the same area for early June you may find very limited accomodation options and many sold out venues. I'm doing a weekday trip and still had issues getting rooms. You're planning this trip in prime vacation time when there will be huge demand.

I got one camping spot at the Lake Superior park. But you're right, I need to sort out accommodation options for other days.

Not sure during these times, however I've never booked anything more than 2-3 hours before arriving at a place, and there is always something in the area, at much cheaper prices since they want to fill rooms. Even when I went across out west last year, everyone told me to book in advance in the Mountains, i didn't, even in peak days, always found rooms or a place. Only place I've had issues was in kenora, and even then it was more a price issue, and still found a campground at 8.30pm.

From Airbnb's, to motels, hotels, and campgrounds, there will always be something. For campgrounds, just type camping in google maps, and so many private one's show up, with hot showers, sometimes free firewood, and under $25.

Not sure during these times, however I've never booked anything more than 2-3 hours before arriving at a place, and there is always something in the area, at much cheaper prices since they want to fill rooms. Even when I went across out west last year, everyone told me to book in advance in the Mountains, i didn't, even in peak days, always found rooms or a place. Only place I've had issues was in kenora, and even then it was more a price issue, and still found a campground at 8.30pm.

From Airbnb's, to motels, hotels, and campgrounds, there will always be something. For campgrounds, just type camping in google maps, and so many private one's show up, with hot showers, sometimes free firewood, and under $25.
FWIW The Squeeze and would do a 5-7 day trip or two each summer into the States. We travel without cellphone or GPS and we never booked ahead. We always found a place to spend the night. Some days we had to travel a bit further since we would pass through a town and not know where the motel strip was. A GPS would help there.
Also some places have a note on the door saying call when you arrive. No phone meant keep on truckin'.

I got one camping spot at the Lake Superior park. But you're right, I need to sort out accommodation options for other days.
That far north you can vagrant camp pretty easy.

They have delayed the start of the season for the ferry to Manitoulin. If there is a huge demand and backlog might be difficult to get a ticket. I would just skip the ferry altogether, as nice as it is, the uncertainty is bothersome on a long trip.

That far north you can vagrant camp pretty easy.

Trying out camping for the first time. I think it's best if I stick to permitted enclosures for now.

They have delayed the start of the season for the ferry to Manitoulin. If there is a huge demand and backlog might be difficult to get a ticket. I would just skip the ferry altogether, as nice as it is, the uncertainty is bothersome on a long trip.

I do see availability for 24th July. You anticipate they'll delay it beyond July?

I do see availability for 24th July. You anticipate they'll delay it beyond July?
Not sure, all depends if we come out of this lockdown. 🤷‍♂️ I guess everyone is waiting for he announcement in June.

The ferry is governed by Transport Canada regs. Given the case count rates that are steadily dropping and the relaxing of regulations, you should be fine.

I've stayed at Green Acres Campground on Manitoulin Island which was kinda nice, especially if you want to stay a day on the island and explore the island at all. There is a big lake there if you want to pitch a tent. I've also stayed in Iron Bridge at the Village Inn Motel which was great and it's really close to the bottom of the 129. If you go anywhere near Timmins, there is a nice place with cabins to stay at or pitch a tent called Cache Campground, and it's right off the Hwy144.

Past Wawa there is a nice provincial park to go hiking in - Pukaskwa Provincial Park. They also have campsites there. Slightly east of there is another Provincial Park called White Lake - they have a few camp sites that are right on the water which are quite beautiful.

Some fun roads for you to check out include:
  • Hwy 6 south of Espanola,
  • Hwy 129 between Thessalon & Aubrey Falls - north of Aubrey Falls is pretty sedate
  • Hwy 638 which loops around the back of Sault Ste Marie
  • Hwy 556 between Sault Ste. Marie and Searchmont Resort - continue on 556 for 80+km of gravel on Ranger Lake Rd, which ends at Aubrey Falls,
  • Hwy 560 between Hwy 144 & Englehart, Hwy 101 (Quebec) from Notre Dame du Nord down to Temiscaming.
Here's a ride report for a trip I did out to Thunder Bay 10yrs ago - there might be some useful info in there for you. Ride Report: North Shore of Lake Superior and beyond

If you need camping gear, I have things I can lend you (tent, thermarest pads, etc)

Make sure you order your ticket for the Manitoulin Ferry before you go. No ticket, no entry and the boat sell out.
I don’t think the ferry is booking passengers yet. A riding buddy tries a few days ago, only transport trailers at this time.

The ferry is governed by Transport Canada regs. Given the case count rates that are steadily dropping and the relaxing of regulations, you should be fine.

I've stayed at Green Acres Campground on Manitoulin Island which was kinda nice, especially if you want to stay a day on the island and explore the island at all. There is a big lake there if you want to pitch a tent. I've also stayed in Iron Bridge at the Village Inn Motel which was great and it's really close to the bottom of the 129. If you go anywhere near Timmins, there is a nice place with cabins to stay at or pitch a tent called Cache Campground, and it's right off the Hwy144.

Past Wawa there is a nice provincial park to go hiking in - Pukaskwa Provincial Park. They also have campsites there. Slightly east of there is another Provincial Park called White Lake - they have a few camp sites that are right on the water which are quite beautiful.

Some fun roads for you to check out include:
  • Hwy 6 south of Espanola,
  • Hwy 129 between Thessalon & Aubrey Falls - north of Aubrey Falls is pretty sedate
  • Hwy 638 which loops around the back of Sault Ste Marie
  • Hwy 556 between Sault Ste. Marie and Searchmont Resort - continue on 556 for 80+km of gravel on Ranger Lake Rd, which ends at Aubrey Falls,
  • Hwy 560 between Hwy 144 & Englehart, Hwy 101 (Quebec) from Notre Dame du Nord down to Temiscaming.
Here's a ride report for a trip I did out to Thunder Bay 10yrs ago - there might be some useful info in there for you. Ride Report: North Shore of Lake Superior and beyond

If you need camping gear, I have things I can lend you (tent, thermarest pads, etc)

Great information, thanks! Re-mapping my route. And let's talk more on this.

The ferry is quaint, but... It ads significant time to your trip.
Burlington to Espanola via Tobermory and the Chi-Cheemaun is at minimum an 8hr 15min trip. the ferry chews up 3 hours if you follow their recommendations and check in 1 hour before sailing. It's a 2 hour sail.
Riding from Burl. to Esp. is less than 5 hours
It'll also cost you $43 and the anxiety of having some weekend warrior Harley dude who's legs are too short try to secure/tie down his bike too ####in' close to yours and then again when it's time to disembark and he drops it... Albeit up against another Harley dude's bike.

I've done the ferry a few times, but... I've also avoided it.

The ferry breaks up the trip, after a long day of riding its a nice break.

The ride through the south of Manitoulin is boring, as is the ride from Tobermory to Owen Sound. I’ve done it a couple of times, not likely to do it again as there is no epic-ness to the route.

The ferry breaks up the trip, after a long day of riding its a nice break.

The ride through the south of Manitoulin is boring, as is the ride from Tobermory to Owen Sound. I’ve done it a couple of times, not likely to do it again as there is no epic-ness to the route.
The last time I rode from Mississauga to Tobermory, it was such a gentle & relaxed pace that I squeezed out 515km from one tank of gas on my VStrom. Normally I get around 350km.

The last time I rode from Mississauga to Tobermory, it was such a gentle & relaxed pace that I squeezed out 515km from one tank of gas on my VStrom. Normally I get around 350km.
That’s probably because you get to draft convoys of Winnebagos at 80kmh for hours.

After Wiarton at the top of the hill, make a right onto cty rd 9. Takes you all the way to Lions Head. Much nicer than 6.

Back
Top Bottom