1986 FZ600 "Black Yamba" | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

1986 FZ600 "Black Yamba"

A little more.... lol The old tires were like smooth plastic! I can't wait to try these out.... -20 out right now... :(

You cannot put filler on top of painted surfaces, also if that's not rage extreme filler it will not last on plastic.
The correct way is :
Raw plastic, then plastic repair filler, then bondo (only to smooth the finish not to build)

Follow this like a proper foundation for building a house, it all starts with step one.

It's rust check filer, which in my opinion is a lot better than bondo brand. There are no air bubbles and it's a very smooth finish. I've had great success with it on other applications so I figured I'd try it out on here. It'll sure look a ******** better than it did when I got it!

I've been shaping and working the filler with a coarse metal file and it doesn't come off very easy that's for sure lol so I can't see why it wouldn't last, but I guess time will tell! I'll let you know how it holds up, maybe this will be another product you can add to the list of ones that work! Or confirm it doesn't. :D

And it's not really on top of the paint, everywhere it's applied is near a crack that is filled, and has been filed, dremeled, and sanded already. Although I'm no expert, it's not my first time painting! Appreciate the advice from an expert though! :D

What do you think of the ABS glue I used as plastic repair filler? It worked well for me, bonded to the existing ABS and held up strong, even with a flex test it wouldn't crack.

Btw if this doesn't work out, I'm just going to order new fairings. For the amount it costs, it's NOT worth all the body work repair! Took a long time already.

Modified the old ugly square tail light and alien eye signals to an integrated LED unit. Had to use some resistors and relays to get it to function just right but it's working good now and I'm quite happy with how it turned out. The dual round look matches the front end and that's what I was going for!

[video=youtube;BaCsoialr4A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaCsoialr4A[/video]

Installing new bearings:

and got the rims back from the powder coaters, looks much better than the ****** white on black job that was on there!

Yeah man Mike at Caledonia Metal Works is who did them, quick turnaround time too, he told me sometime this week and had them ready this morning! I need to clean up a bit of the powder coat thats on where the brakes will sit but he taped it off pretty good and blocked off the bearing holes perfectly.

I only did the rear sprocket bearing because it came with the rear bearing kit, figured why not put all new ones in while it's out.

No prob!

Here's a couple better shots of the rims for eye candy: :D

and here's what they looked like!

Installed a bi-xenon (high and low beam) 35w a/c HID kit today.... don't really care about your opinion if you think I'm blinding you or others, I'll aim them down a bit and risk being flashed hi-beams occasionally for better visibility for me and for others to see me in the daytime when I'm riding. I don't do much night riding (yet) but when I do if I start blinding people I'll take appropriate actions.

Until then, LET THERE BE LIGHT!! :D :D

Could have got a set of projectors on ebay with a kit for not too much more then you spent on those likely. Then you would not blind people lol

I do not want projectors. What happens when you lean to turn...now you can't see ahead on the curve...

Sweet.....

I purchased a kit last year, single bulb hi/lo beam, I'll be damned if I can find the kit, so I can install it....not sure where the heck I put it....LOL

So I painted calipers tonight instead...

haha it'll be like christmas when you find it again! :D

I do not want projectors. What happens when you lean to turn...now you can't see ahead on the curve...

I had projectors In my r1 with hid's and never had that problem. your not going to be on a road without any streetlights leaning like that at night :)
I have some projectors here at the shop if you want a set.

I had projectors In my r1 with hid's and never had that problem. your not going to be on a road without any streetlights leaning like that at night :)
I have some projectors here at the shop if you want a set.

I live out in the country... so I will be on roads with no streetlights leaning like that, with the added risk of wildlife being on the road with all of the forests around here. I appreciate the offer but I'm gonna stick with these for now. :D

I do need some recommendations for paint though if you'd be willing! I was going to just go by NAPA and pick up some 2 part epoxy primer as a base coat, is that a good start? What would you recommend for a decent black? I don't need anything expensive...this is a "budget" build but I also don't want it to look like ****... lol So is there a good in between that isn't too pricey?

In response to your pm :
To be blunt... if your painting in your garage, the end result will not look good.
I see in your first photos of bodywork, there is filler on top of shiny paint. That is the first problem, if you run your hand across the bodywork, that edge will always feel unfinished. That is due to the bondo trying to chaise back or " find" adhesion. Hell I can even see an old purple sticker under the bondo!
that edge will never go away, my honest advise was what I gave you on my first reply.
All this work your doing will not hold up or last, if you want it to look good, start with my previous advise, take your time, finish your bodywork in 400g.
as for primer, many options, dupont has a 2 part primer that will work well, you will also need some plastic adhesion promoter, with you can get in a spray can.
Also when you factor in - primer kit( at least $180 for the cheap stuff) paint 2 qts ($120 for the cheap stuff) clear ($130 for the cheap stuff) and spray gun, blah blah it ends up being much cheaper to just finish off your work as best as you can, and bring to a bodyshop.

Blunts are good! :D Blunt is good too, as long as you're not a dick, and you're not. lol I appreciate your input and respect your opinion that's why I asked! :D

I'm not going to do a lot more work to these fairings, they were in rough shape when I got them, so the time I would spend to sand them right down to bare plastic and start over I might as well just buy new fairings from airtech streamlining - which makes aftermarket for my bike.

I think I need to find a cheaper primer and paint than what you're suggesting though. I'm not doing the front upper fairing or gas tank, just the 4 side pieces and the small back tail piece, so I'd only need a quart or less I would think (but don't really know)...should I expect to be paying that much still? I wonder if the body shop who quoted me $400 for the fairings + gas tank would knock off a few bucks because I'n not doing the gas tank or upper front...but really, I don't want to pay someone else for something that I'm probably either going to wreck or end up changing up next year anyway. Ah decisions.... guess I have a bit of time to think about this.

Thanks for the advice I appreciate it! Maybe next year when I'm ready to re-do the fairings I'll bring em to you for a professional job. :D

I am Gatekeeper's buddy in Hamilton that he referred to. He used a young painter down in the Falls to do his GS last year. I think the cost for that was cheaper than what you would lay out for paint as carboncat mentions. I'll get GK to send you the details.

Back
Top Bottom