"“It’s not the other vehicle you need to worry about.”" - Halton POlice | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

"“It’s not the other vehicle you need to worry about.”" - Halton POlice

Care to elaborate?

This kicked off on an observation, and everything that's been thrown my way since merely reinforced the comment. I'll be sure to salute next time a track bike laden trailer rolls by.

FWIW, it's an interesting vibe I'm getting. I used to be quite the skateboarder and grew up with a guy who went pro and did quite well for himself. He never once questioned why I still regularly skated the downtown core over dedicated facilities.. again, just observation.

Nobody is questioning why you or anyone else ride a bike. I didn't start riding thinking I was going to end up where I am. I don't look down on people because they choose to cruise around and look at scenery, commute to work, travel, or go on adventures. I'm actually interested in getting a sporty cruiser for quick little jaunts. It's the people that ride like they're invincible, own the road, or blame it on someone else when things go sideways that irritate me. I see them everyday and they're all over social media getting lots of attention from all the other D bag riders that do the same ****.

Your buddy who went pro probably upped his game substantially through competing against others, that's sorta how it works. He probably wanted to pursue his talents and see where it could take him. Side note, I've always wanted to be able skateboard. I admire the amount of skill it takes to man up and throw yourself down a flight of steps.

Last edited:
Re: "“It’s not the other vehicle you need to worry about.”" - Halton POlice

Your buddy who went pro probably upped his game substantially through competing against others, that's sorta how it works. He probably wanted to pursue his talents and see where it could take him. Side note, I've always wanted to be able skateboard. I admire the amount of skill it takes to man up and throw yourself down a flight of steps.

Hey it offends me that you are going around admiring a pro skateboarder..... Do you even know if he is at the front? He could just be a middle of the pack skater ;)

Hope people see how ridiculous that sounded

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Re: "“It’s not the other vehicle you need to worry about.”" - Halton POlice

Hey it offends me that you are going around admiring a pro skateboarder..... Do you even know if he is at the front? He could just be a middle of the pack skater ;)

I don't see sounds especially when typed electronically so yes I don't see it but I got the ridiculous part loud and clear.

Sounds like you saw my point

Sounds like you saw my point

Yes? I think you were drawing attention to the difference between blanket participation respect and admiring one as yet unvetted but probably pretty good skateboarder and one is not like the other but why get hung up on details.

I learn new (to me) stuff all the time.
This year while camping , Hilton trumps Coleman every time.
On an off pavement desert ride, there is such a thing as too slow in deep sand, you fall over, too fast and you fall over as well.
Road riding, dont eat cheap greasy burgers, getting the '30 second warning' on an expressway sucks
At a Pheonix AZ trackday, the ability to go very fast is natural talent+ good coaching and training+ money. The ability to be average is availible to anybody.

I like the dick swinging, its good sport, in the meantime go ride your bikes guys (and middle aged broad) , in whatever fashion makes you happy.

He definitely wasn't a household name. If you were really into the sport you would probably have come across him in a Mag at some point... Thing is, no one was ever made to feel as though they should look up... all I'm saying

I like the dick swinging, its good sport, in the meantime go ride your bikes guys (and middle aged broad) , in whatever fashion makes you happy.

+1

... to the riding; I'll save the show and tell for my lady friends

eh it's not really dick swinging - someone dumb enough to try to argue the point that track riding doesn't make you better on the street - it's a pretty safe bet to say I would be 'better' - I'll admit it would be hard to qualify 'better' in terms of street riding unless we have a competition to see who is quicker making u-turns and emergency stops etc...

Most people in Ontario, at least the ones I've laid eyes on so far since coming back here pretty much suck at riding - they give me the impression they are white knuckling it most of the time, heads locked forward fearfully not truly absorbing their surroundings...basically surviving by luck.

I don't blame them, living, riding, tracking in many places, some of which you can ride year round gave me a unique opportunity to gain experience that people here wouldn't have. I bet that this board though (as in, if you ignore the 'average' rider and focus on the sub-section of people who post here) probably has some competent peeps.

Project Ride Alive focuses on motorcycle safety in Milton, Halton Hills

"The sobering statistics released by police show that, in 2015, 87 per cent of motorcycle-related collisions that resulted in fatal and life-altering injuries in Halton were due to motorcycle operator error."

BU11Sh!T!!!!!

eh it's not really dick swinging - someone dumb enough to try to argue the point that track riding doesn't make you better on the street - it's a pretty safe bet to say I would be 'better' - I'll admit it would be hard to qualify 'better' in terms of street riding unless we have a competition to see who is quicker making u-turns and emergency stops etc...

Most people in Ontario, at least the ones I've laid eyes on so far since coming back here pretty much suck at riding - they give me the impression they are white knuckling it most of the time, heads locked forward fearfully not truly absorbing their surroundings...basically surviving by luck.

I don't blame them, living, riding, tracking in many places, some of which you can ride year round gave me a unique opportunity to gain experience that people here wouldn't have. I bet that this board though (as in, if you ignore the 'average' rider and focus on the sub-section of people who post here) probably has some competent peeps.

lol....and we're back again. Tell you what...Ill bet you that a motorcycle courier that's worked many years in his job and never had a track day is most likely better on the street than your average rider (including track day heroes) here too.

lol....and we're back again. Tell you what...Ill bet you that a motorcycle courier that's worked many years in his job and never had a track day is most likely better on the street than your average rider (including track day heroes) here too.

Here? You're basically a car in terms of riding dynamics. If he was a courier in a major US or EU city where filtering is legal maybe but you don't get good at riding just from clocking miles.
I'm not really a "track day hero" either - in my younger days there was a time where I went every other weekend but that time is gone, I'm a slow A group guy on tracks I know well.

My statement stands, come up with a metric for skill measuring and we'll wager a small amount of money on it for fun - then you guys can meet this 'forum loud mouth' in person.

Here? You're basically a car in terms of riding dynamics. If he was a courier in a major US or EU city where filtering is legal maybe but you don't get good at riding just from clocking miles.
I'm not really a "track day hero" either - in my younger days there was a time where I went every other weekend but that time is gone, I'm a slow A group guy on tracks I know well.

My statement stands, come up with a metric for skill measuring and we'll wager a small amount of money on it for fun - then you guys can meet this 'forum loud mouth' in person.

I have friends that are/have been couriers in the UK. That clocking miles also applies to tracks though doesn't it? Or ar you saying you have to attend 2.68 track days before you are "better on the street". How about comparing someone who has 5 track days a year vs someone who spends every day on their bike on their street for their job? Do you not see how this gets to be a dumb argument very fast?

Yeah, NO.

Every 2 wheeled courier that I have encountered is insane. One of the girls I ride with used to be a non motorized one....yes they can get through traffic breaking a bunch of laws fast, but does that make them a better rider? No, but they are willing to take more risks than I am.

Hence the track. This is where I go to develop my skills. Controlled environment with less chance of "oh ****" moments that you can't control. IF something happens then my outcome may/may not be as dramatic than the street, but that is my risk management.

Saying couriers are more skilled is like saying taxi /truck drivers having more skill. Flat out no from my experience and my opinion.

I have friends that are/have been couriers in the UK. That clocking miles also applies to tracks though doesn't it? Or ar you saying you have to attend 2.68 track days before you are "better on the street". How about comparing someone who has 5 track days a year vs someone who spends every day on their bike on their street for their job? Do you not see how this gets to be a dumb argument very fast?

Look dude, I'm not saying anyone who tracks is automatically a better rider - but what I AM saying is inarguable is that riding at the track will make you a better rider unless you really try your best not to gain anything from it.

Yeah, NO.

Every 2 wheeled courier that I have encountered is insane. One of the girls I ride with used to be a non motorized one....yes they can get through traffic breaking a bunch of laws fast, but does that make them a better rider? No, but they are willing to take more risks than I am.

Hence the track. This is where I go to develop my skills. Controlled environment with less chance of "oh ****" moments that you can't control. IF something happens then my outcome may/may not be as dramatic than the street, but that is my risk management.

Saying couriers are more skilled is like saying taxi /truck drivers having more skill. Flat out no from my experience and my opinion.

Then we are back to what's "better". My original argument before we got all dick swingy (other posters, not you) was that "better" on the street means safer, absolutely nothing to do with speed. If it's faster, getting from A to B ON THE STREET, then a seasoned courier would probably win that one in traffic and congested streets although it's a dumb comparison and a dumb argument.

Oh, and yes...I agree, they are insane.

I'm going to book me a couple of days at trailtours and then hope that the sharp rider/total control courses come a bit closer to me. A track day has zero appeal to me and those other courses would appear to teach everything necessary for street riding and off road riding of the kind that I like.

Some of the comments in this thread make no sense to me. I'd also like to come in with a flat out yes or no based on my opinion but I can't do it alone.

I'm going to book me a couple of days at trailtours and then hope that the sharp rider/total control courses come a bit closer to me. A track day has zero appeal to me and those other courses would appear to teach everything necessary for street riding and off road riding of the kind that I like.

Is there anything I can say to change your mind? I did one in 1988. I still talk about it today like it was yesterday. I think that's good value.

Without a proper motorcycle decathlon rating system, we can't argue properly. The categories are:

Street
Track
Dualsport
Motocross
Trials
Stunting
Gymkhana
Posing
Ice Cream
Grom

That way we can instantly judge the value of posted opinions, leading to useful threads and hopefully less measured/swinging genitalia. Everyone starts with one point per category as long as they have watched a motovlogger explaining the subject.

Is there anything I can say to change your mind? I did one in 1988. I still talk about it today like it was yesterday. I think that's good value.

If I can have an empty track and I don't have to dick about with my bike then yes.

Im just not that interested in going round and round the same old bits of road. Life's too short.

If I can have an empty track and I don't have to dick about with my bike then yes.

Im just not that interested in going round and round the same old bits of road. Life's too short.

You need to put tape on the headlights/mirrors/tail light.....not too hard. Empty track, that'll cost ya.

Going "round and round" is for a different reason then what you normally ride for. It's not an adventure, there's no sights to see. You focus on riding and that's it. We know you think track days or track riding in general is pointless but that doesn't mean it's a useless way to learn valuable skills. Same as riding in the dirt, you learn bike control in an invironment that is less likely to get you killed from someone other then yourself.

I'm very sure I can confidently navigate city traffic while riding a bike and not get into trouble. Actually I'd have an easier time then trying to drive my 3/4t truck around the city core which I did daily for longer then I care to talk about.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom