Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 94 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

When plugged into L1 power a percentage of the battery will be used as well to accomplish a precondition. Electric grid heaters draw up to 6-8kW, and you’re only getting a fraction of that from a L1 source at 110V - the remainder comes from the battery.

I don't think the heater needs to go that high ... I don't think it's more powerful than 6kW in my car anyway. If it was true what you are saying I should see my range drop, which I never do. Ok, obviously it will make difference to leave the car outside in -10C and have it conditioned from there ... or leaving it in my +4C garage these days and start from there. But he mentioned his garage is heated ..... why I was surprised. I am sure the 110V plug should be OK to around 0C ... but I guess it can vary greatly a car from a car.

I don't think the heater needs to go that high ... I don't think it's more powerful than 6kW in my car anyway. If it was true what you are saying I should see my range drop, which I never do. Ok, obviously it will make difference to leave the car outside in -10C and have it conditioned from there ... or leaving it in my +4C garage these days and start from there. But he mentioned his garage is heated ..... why I was surprised. I am sure the 110V plug should be OK to around 0C ... but I guess it can vary greatly a car from a car.

You aren't likely to see much of a range drop if any for a variety of reasons:

- Parked inside means it's not cold soaked, instead of a 30-40 degree increase needed to reach 20c inside cabin temperature it may only have a 10 or 15 degree swing to contend with.
- The larger battery on a pure EV can absorb a 4-6KW draw for the 10-15 minute precondition without much effect on range in the grand scheme of things.

But trust me, it's using some battery to precondition when plugged into L1. I see it on our volt when I pay attention to the stats via OnStar before and after a precondition - it doesn't show much in range, but you certainly do see it when you look at percentage. ;)

If it didn't, you'd have the equivalent heat of putting a 1500w space heater in the car for 10-15 minutes, as one of those is about the max for a 15A circuit, same as what the L1 can provide. For anyone who's ever tried to heat up a cold car that way, you know it's not effective.

Needless to say a precondition puts WAY more heat than that in the cabin in a short period of time...and that energy has to come from somewhere. On the Volt at the temps we saw last week the precondition uses 6KW for the first 5-6 minutes and then it steps back to about 3-4KW for the remainder of the 10 minute timer - that can really take a chunk out of the battery on a car with only ~11-12KW usable in my gen vehicles - I have seen 8-10% off the top after some of the preconditions during that cold snap last week, even with the engine kicking on in ERDTT mode in addition - the grid heater *still* supplements things.

Anyhow, on another note...I finally got the second Volt tonight. Mine's the clean one - thought about washing my wifes for the pic, but pointless considering the weather on the way.

2volts.png

For those interested, I said I'd post about the saga buying this one. It was somewhat smoother than the disaster that was our first purchase, but still far worse than it should have been, especially since we bought it from a GM dealer as well.

It's a bit of a trainwreck.

See car pop up on Trader.ca last Monday morning afternoon. Price is very attractive and it's loaded to the hilt. Interested. I call the dealer and inquire, ask for pics. Pics come back about 20 minutes later and it looks nice...decide to hop in the car and go see it the next morning.

Arrive at dealer at 9AM prompt..and that was the -20c morning. It was actually -22 there.

Car is parked...and the drive battery is flat...freakin....dead. Memories of our first Volt purchase where it took 3 days to finally get it charged for a test drive.

Now, I didn't exactly have a lot to do as I'm still off work with my shoulder recovery, so I decide to hang out. Car starts on engine but goes into reduced propulsion mode immediately because the battery is cold soaked - expected that. Drive it over to the charging station and plug it in...battery takes about 25 minutes of warming before it even starts charging. Let it charge for an hour or so to get at least 15-20KM in it for a test drive. Mill around dealer, drink coffee, kill time. Kinda frustrated already as they knew I was coming - why can dealers not charge EV's for people??!

Spend some time looking at the car, trying not to freeze. Notice that the previous owner cleaned it out - the charger was gone, the tire inflator was gone, even the floormats were gone. Brought that up to the salesman who calls the previous owner (it had been a trade-in for a 2017 Volt) and he claims his new one didn't come with a charger so he kept his old one. Bunk, but whatever, not my problem - I figure I can use it as a price negotiation tool as I didn't really need a second L1 charger anyways. Tire inflator would need to be replaced for it to pass safety however I learned.

Finally go test drive car, drives nice..everything works...except the heated seats.

On return, I mention that, along with the fact that I'm seriously interested in the car and would be interested in making an offer. They decide to pull the car into the shop (it's now 11AM) to see what it needs to repair things, and certify. They say they'll have an answer for me by 12:30 at the latest.

Drink more coffee, mill around some more. 1PM comes and goes...2PM comes and goes. Eventually I'm out of time, I had an appointment and needed to leave, so I told them to call or email me, and I leave, a bit frustrated, but I guess the shop was taking longer than they expected to diagnose the seats.

Get an email with a brief story that it needs rear brakes (same issue as our original Volt, far from worn out, but too rusty) and they will fix the seats, but they don't anticipate that's a big thing.

I offer $1000 less than asking, telling them that I don't need the EVSE...which of course they'd have to replace for any other buyer.

Emails go back and forth, pushed off to the next day as it needs sales manager approval. Thursday morning we work out a deal on the price and he says the car can probably be ready Friday or Saturday. I ask for a bill of sale showing the total due so I can get a bank draft together.

And this is where things start to go sideways.

The bill of sale arrives and suddenly $750 of the $1000 I negotiated off the price has mysteriously reappeared in the form of a bunch of junk I didn't want - window etching, some anti-theft thing, and a huge "administration fee". All of that would have been illegal under OMVIC rules had I paid sticker price.

I send a terse but polite email back to the dealer on the topic and don't get a response for 6 or 8 hours.

Long story short we finally hash out about $700 off original asking price....and apparently news arrived from the shop that the car needed an as of yet undetermined $1000 module to fix the heated seats...and it won't arrive until Tuesday or Wednesday.

Played email tag with the salesman for the last few days, responses are short and kinda terse - I think I've irked a few people...but whatever, I am not a typical sheep consumer when it comes to these sorts of things, I will and DO stand up for myself.

Get email this morning that the car is ready, they send a shuttle - awesome.

Get there, car is plugged in, but plates are not on it yet and it's not gassed up. Ugh, but whatever, I need to do paperwork. Get shuffled off to another office for that, then get told I have to go see the salesman again. He's with someone else and doesn't seem particularly excited to see me. About 20-30 minutes passes of me just standing around before he comes out and gives me the second keyfob and says that's it, have a good day.

I go out to the car..and there's no floor mats in it. I noticed that when I test drove it and commented on it.

I go back in and talk to salesman who immediately sends me to the sales manager who is in the middle of about 250 things it seems and says "We'll get you some!". Stand around for another 15 minutes before someone comes and gets me and takes me to the parts desk.

Another long story ensues, but suffice to say I'm getting a $300 set of nice WeatherTec's but I have to go back to get them some time next week. Will throw a set of my old rubber pantsavers in it for the meantime.

Finally...get in car and start heading home.

Car performs admirably, exceeded rated battery capacity by over 10KM on the way home so that's good, even in -2c temps.

So...it's home. The dual EV ownership experience begins.

BTW, versus my Magnum, I saved about $13 in gas on just this trip home from the dealer. ;)

You aren't likely to see much of a range drop if any for a variety of reasons:

- Parked inside means it's not cold soaked, instead of a 30-40 degree increase needed to reach 20c inside cabin temperature it may only have a 10 or 15 degree swing to contend with.
- The larger battery on a pure EV can absorb a 4-6KW draw for the 10-15 minute precondition without much effect on range in the grand scheme of things.

But trust me, it's using some battery to precondition when plugged into L1. I see it on our volt when I pay attention to the stats via OnStar before and after a precondition - it doesn't show much in range, but you certainly do see it when you look at percentage. ;)

If it didn't, you'd have the equivalent heat of putting a 1500w space heater in the car for 10-15 minutes, as one of those is about the max for a 15A circuit, same as what the L1 can provide. For anyone who's ever tried to heat up a cold car that way, you know it's not effective.

Needless to say a precondition puts WAY more heat than that in the cabin in a short period of time...and that energy has to come from somewhere. On the Volt at the temps we saw last week the precondition uses 6KW for the first 5-6 minutes and then it steps back to about 3-4KW for the remainder of the 10 minute timer - that can really take a chunk out of the battery on a car with only ~11-12KW usable in my gen vehicles - I have seen 8-10% off the top after some of the preconditions during that cold snap last week, even with the engine kicking on in ERDTT mode in addition - the grid heater *still* supplements things.

Thinking about it again, you are right, there must be some energy coming from the battery "helping" the 15A circuit to help, otherwise 30mins would not be nearly enough, unless the garage is like +10C or something.

For those interested, I said I'd post about the saga buying this one. It was somewhat smoother than the disaster that was our first purchase, but still far worse than it should have been, especially since we bought it from a GM dealer as well.

Honestly, sounds like standard operating procedure for a dealership which has been around for a while and is rather forced to sell EV's than really want to sell them. They keep going like that, and they will be wondering in a few years where is their revenue gone ... LOL

On another note, just tested my Bosch L2 box. seems to be working fine, 15km of range in 30mins which makes sense and more less indicates 6kW draw. I wish the car would tell me number of kWh charged, but it just doesn't ... I hate the % SOC number for some reason ... :)

Honestly, sounds like standard operating procedure for a dealership which has been around for a while and is rather forced to sell EV's than really want to sell them. They keep going like that, and they will be wondering in a few years where is their revenue gone ... LOL

This dealership sells a LOT of EV's and actually likes having them on the lot both new and used as they know they are quick movers. The guy who traded in my new Volt upgraded to a Gen2, and I bought his old Gen1 within 36 hours of him walked away from it. There were several other new Volts sitting there waiting for pickup as well.

It's been my observation that used EV's are actually quite coveted by dealerships as when priced right they don't sit around.

I wish the car would tell me number of kWh charged, but it just doesn't ... I hate the % SOC number for some reason ... :)

Need a fancier EVSE like a Chargepoint or FLO with the smartphone app that provides all sorts of telemetry. I'd love to have one of those but can't justify the $$$, and in the end, OnStar gives me a connection point to the car that lets me monitor charging and such.

Does your Kia have something along the lines of OnStar that offers any connectivity to the car?

This dealership sells a LOT of EV's and actually likes having them on the lot both new and used as they know they are quick movers. The guy who traded in my new Volt upgraded to a Gen2, and I bought his old Gen1 within 36 hours of him walked away from it. There were several other new Volts sitting there waiting for pickup as well.

It's been my observation that used EV's are actually quite coveted by dealerships as when priced right they don't sit around.

I think it's because the Volt is a car which sells by itself ... even the dumbest and laziest dealer will not have it long time on the lot (except for low mileage Gen 2 without any rebate left, the prices make no sense .... ton of those out there) ... reason is, it has niche market for itself because there's no other car like that. Try selling 30-40kWh EV like that come next spring/summer .... there will be 4-5 cars ... seriously, the Volt is easy right this moment.

Need a fancier EVSE like a Chargepoint or FLO with the smartphone app that provides all sorts of telemetry. I'd love to have one of those but can't justify the $$$, and in the end, OnStar gives me a connection point to the car that lets me monitor charging and such.

Does your Kia have something along the lines of OnStar that offers any connectivity to the car?

Not worth the money they are asking for, I agree ... it's just novelty/curiosity at this point.

The main issue is that Kia ****ed-up one thing and that is lack of any app (or connectivity) available for Soul EV (even though they offer it currently on Rio, Optima in Canada) ... they have one every where else, but not in Canada. They make excuses because of wireless agreements blablabla ... but that's OK, I knew there's few compromises I will have to accept when buying the Kia ... but that one negative is outweighed by pretty much everything else. The car drives so well in traffic and is comfortable ... just effortless and practical with the box in the back ... LOL

So...yesterday I went to the "Electric Vehicle Discovery Centre" with my sister and BIL. As mentioned, they're looking for a new vehicle soon and an EV is in the cards after seeing our savings and realizing it works for them too.

So, we get there. Took my Volt, plugged in when we were there to scoop some free electrons. ;)

Several Bolts in the lot, a BMW i3, A Smart Electric, a second gen Volt, a Ford something or other, and inside (not available for test drives) a Tesla Model S, and an EGolf. Not sure why the Golf was "look only, no drive", but whatever...the Tesla I guess I can kinda understand, but at least I finally got to sit in one and check it out.

So, we wanted to test drive the Bolt and the Volt mainly.

"Sorry, neither are available for test drives today" was the response from the admittedly very cheery lady who was helping us.

Turns out because there was a little snow in the parking lot (REALLY?) and the Bolts and Volt didn't have snow tires, nobody could drive them. The explanation was that because EV's have a lot of regen that without snow tires it's too risky for people to drive them as they're "not used to regen". Ok, arguably a valid point, but really...first time experiencing regen or not, driving 5KPH out of a parking lot to otherwise clear and mostly dry roads should be something anyone with a G licence could accomplish without crashing and dying in a ball of fire - kinda ridiculous IMHO.

We could take the Smart or the i3 out though, they had snows.

After some more discussion the employee says she can drive *us* in both the Volt and Bolt instead and we can at least 'experience' them. Argh, well..whatever.

We all pile into the Bolt. Surprisingly not bad even though I'm in the back seat with my BIL, employee and my sister in the front. Start it up, immediately very impressed with how fast it starts to blow heat, and how much of it there is. Employee demonstrates a few bells and whistles and explains EV's in general - we kinda already get that since we drove there in one and I've been explaining things to my sis and BIL for a while now. A few neat surprises though like the fact the rear view mirror actually contain a full sized video screen behind the mirror itself, and the rear heated seats were toasty in no time.

However, turns one NONE of the cars were plugged in over the Christmas break and are all in various states of discharge, with cold-soaked batteries. The snow wasn't even cleared off several of them.

The Bolt goes into "propulsion reduced" mode immediately - wouldn't have happened if they'd even been plugged into the Level1 chargers, much less their Level 2's. Test drive still goes off without a hitch but it took about 10 minutes for the battery to heat itself up and provide normal propulsion...whatever I guess, and that thing does really haul. Test drive is uneventful even though we were only allowed to watch the employee drive it, couldn't drive it ourselves.

Return to the yard to try the Volt. Covered in snow and ice, also unplugged, battery is less than 1/2 charged. Start it up and it takes about 15 minutes to clear all the snow, ice, windows etc etc because the cars hadn't been driven since the 23'rd. Test drive is also uneventful even though we weren't allowed to drive it either.

We COULD drive the i3 though. All 4 of us piled in. Quite tight in the back, but serviceable. It's also stone cold, half dead, and it also goes into propulsion reduced mode immediately and never seemed to recover. My sister drove it as did I. TOTALLY not impressive - felt subpar in interior appearance to even my old Chevy Aveo econobox pop can honestly, and I don't think it ever came out of propulsion reduced mode as it was totally gutless - with the pedal right to the floor with 4 people in it and barely plodded along despite the employee saying it was technically the most powerful of all the EV's they had, short of the Tesla.

Anyhow, return to the parking spot, I pull up to their ChargePoint station and figure I'd plug in the Bolt.

Turns out the 2 chargers on their chargepoint are not working, and haven't in a week or so according to the employee. 'I guess they didn't fix it yet!" is what she says.

The other chargers (A FLO station) is half in use with my Volt, and the other half isn't plugged into anything, despite many of the cars NEEDING power.

We left kinda unimpresed with the whole experience honestly. If I was someone who was even remotely skeptical about EV's, visiting the "EV Discovery Centre" would have had me driving home thinking "Yeah, I'll never buy one of those things", which one might assume is not exactly the goal. Half the chargers were broken, the cars we *could* drive weren't performing to their full capabilities because they hadn't been plugged in, and the employee made it sound like even leaving the parking lot in the EV's without snow tires was a recipe for certain death because of the scary regen.

And if they continued down the path they were going with only 2 functional chargers and about 8 or 9 cars that need charging (with the Bolts taking ~8 hours each from dead on L2) I figure by tomorrow half their cars will be too dead to even test drive anymore.

Anyhow, got 3/4 of a charge in the Volt and made it about 1/2 of the way home on battery - this cold weather is really sapping it's it's battery for heating. Still averaged <3L/100KM for the trip there and back, even with ERDTT and needing the REX a bit each way.

Last edited:
So...yesterday I went to the "Electric Vehicle Discovery Centre" with my sister and BIL. As mentioned, they're looking for a new vehicle soon and an EV is in the cards after seeing our savings and realizing it works for them too.

So, we get there. Took my Volt, plugged in when we were there to scoop some free electrons. ;)

Several Bolts in the lot, a BMW i3, A Smart Electric, a second gen Volt, a Ford something or other, and inside (not available for test drives) a Tesla Model S, and an EGolf. Not sure why the Golf was "look only, no drive", but whatever...the Tesla I guess I can kinda understand, but at least I finally got to sit in one and check it out.

So, we wanted to test drive the Bolt and the Volt mainly.

"Sorry, neither are available for test drives today" was the response from the admittedly very cheery lady who was helping us.

Turns out because there was a little snow in the parking lot (REALLY?) and the Bolts and Volt didn't have snow tires, nobody could drive them. The explanation was that because EV's have a lot of regen that without snow tires it's too risky for people to drive them as they're "not used to regen". Ok, arguably a valid point, but really...first time experiencing regen or not, driving 5KPH out of a parking lot to otherwise clear and mostly dry roads should be something anyone with a G licence could accomplish without crashing and dying in a ball of fire - kinda ridiculous IMHO.

We could take the Smart or the i3 out though, they had snows.

After some more discussion the employee says she can drive *us* in both the Volt and Bolt instead and we can at least 'experience' them. Argh, well..whatever.

We all pile into the Bolt. Surprisingly not bad even though I'm in the back seat with my BIL, employee and my sister in the front. Start it up, immediately very impressed with how fast it starts to blow heat, and how much of it there is. Employee demonstrates a few bells and whistles and explains EV's in general - we kinda already get that since we drove there in one and I've been explaining things to my sis and BIL for a while now. A few neat surprises though like the fact the rear view mirror actually contain a full sized video screen behind the mirror itself, and the rear heated seats were toasty in no time.

However, turns one NONE of the cars were plugged in over the Christmas break and are all in various states of discharge, with cold-soaked batteries. The snow wasn't even cleared off several of them.

The Bolt goes into "propulsion reduced" mode immediately - wouldn't have happened if they'd even been plugged into the Level1 chargers, much less their Level 2's. Test drive still goes off without a hitch but it took about 10 minutes for the battery to heat itself up and provide normal propulsion...whatever I guess, and that thing does really haul. Test drive is uneventful even though we were only allowed to watch the employee drive it, couldn't drive it ourselves.

Return to the yard to try the Volt. Covered in snow and ice, also unplugged, battery is less than 1/2 charged. Start it up and it takes about 15 minutes to clear all the snow, ice, windows etc etc because the cars hadn't been driven since the 23'rd. Test drive is also uneventful even though we weren't allowed to drive it either.

We COULD drive the i3 though. All 4 of us piled in. Quite tight in the back, but serviceable. It's also stone cold, half dead, and it also goes into propulsion reduced mode immediately and never seemed to recover. My sister drove it as did I. TOTALLY not impressive - felt subpar in interior appearance to even my old Chevy Aveo econobox pop can honestly, and I don't think it ever came out of propulsion reduced mode as it was totally gutless - with the pedal right to the floor with 4 people in it and barely plodded along despite the employee saying it was technically the most powerful of all the EV's they had, short of the Tesla.

Anyhow, return to the parking spot, I pull up to their ChargePoint station and figure I'd plug in the Bolt.

Turns out the 2 chargers on their chargepoint are not working, and haven't in a week or so according to the employee. 'I guess they didn't fix it yet!" is what she says.

The other chargers (A FLO station) is half in use with my Volt, and the other half isn't plugged into anything, despite many of the cars NEEDING power.

We left kinda unimpresed with the whole experience honestly. If I was someone who was even remotely skeptical about EV's, visiting the "EV Discovery Centre" would have had me driving home thinking "Yeah, I'll never buy one of those things", which one might assume is not exactly the goal. Half the chargers were broken, the cars we *could* drive weren't performing to their full capabilities because they hadn't been plugged in, and the employee made it sound like even leaving the parking lot in the EV's without snow tires was a recipe for certain death because of the scary regen.

And if they continued down the path they were going with only 2 functional chargers and about 8 or 9 cars that need charging (with the Bolts taking ~8 hours each from dead on L2) I figure by tomorrow half their cars will be too dead to even test drive anymore.

Anyhow, got 3/4 of a charge in the Volt and made it about 1/2 of the way home on battery - this cold weather is really sapping it's it's battery for heating. Still averaged <3L/100KM for the trip there and back, even with ERDTT and needing the REX a bit each way.
I really hope that you plan to post a critical review of the experience.
People like me who are ignorant about EV (before this thread came along) truly will leave that place with a strong desire to avoid owning one. The staff need to know what a disservice they are providing.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I really hope that you plan to post a critical review of the experience.
People like me who are ignorant about EV (before this thread came along) truly will leave that place with a strong desire to avoid owning one. The staff need to know what a disservice they are providing.

The thing is...the lady that helped us (for well over an hour and a half or so) was super nice, and yes, reasonably knowledgeable.

The snow tire thing I understood came back to GM dragging their feet getting nice looking snows on factory alloys (as opposed to steel rims) delivered in a timely fashion.

The charger thing, well, both charge stations (one ChargePoint and one FLO) are run but their respective companies, so when the ChargePoint station crapped out all they could do is call and ask for service I guess...but that didn't happen yet.

The "can't drive a car without snow tires in a snow covered parking lot" thing is a combination of a crappy plow job on behalf of whoever is clearing their parking lot (not scraped down far enough, and zero salt), and I'm sure a very healthy dose of Cover Your *** liability fear.

The cars are all provided by their respective manufacturers I think, so it's GM's bag for not having snow tires on the Bolts and Volt.

I kinda think that maybe all the issues were perhaps rooted in the fact that nobody is actually getting on the phone and chasing the issues. 6-8 weeks and no tires from GM? Maybe they forgot...did anyone follow up? Half the chargers not working for a week or more? Has anyone called and ripped the service company a new orifice? Same for the snow clearing company.

As for none of the cars being plugged in and actually charged, well...not sure what to make of that. I'm going to venture to guess when closing time arrived on December 23'rd whoever was manning the place was more concerned about getting the hell out of there than they were with actually plugging in the cars before leaving, especially the Bolts.

But yeah, a lot of poor impressions. The reviews for the place were otherwise very positive though, and again, the lady was super nice...so I hate to throw anyone under the bus for just following policy.

I'd guess they'd want to leave the cars unplugged so others could use the chargers, no? If they're going to close for a few days I mean. Were you there bright and early?

But surely they could have planned a bit knowing their schedule .... If they charged all cars up before the break they would not loose that much charge by sitting for few days.

Considering that they are funded by the very manufacturers of the cars, it's sort of bizarre, but I guess not completely shocking.

I'd guess they'd want to leave the cars unplugged so others could use the chargers, no? If they're going to close for a few days I mean. Were you there bright and early?

We were there around 11AM IIRC, so it wasn't super early.

But surely they could have planned a bit knowing their schedule .... If they charged all cars up before the break they would not loose that much charge by sitting for few days.

Ironically, when she started the Bolt (which clearly hadn't moved at all since before the holidays) I saw something pop up on the middle console or the dash about "Energy used for scheduled departures" or something like that. I think someone had setup scheduled preconditions and it had been dutifully doing them through the entire holiday break even though the cars weren't going anywhere, nor plugged in. Would probably explain why the battery was half dead.

We were there around 11AM IIRC, so it wasn't super early.

Ironically, when she started the Bolt (which clearly hadn't moved at all since before the holidays) I saw something pop up on the middle console or the dash about "Energy used for scheduled departures" or something like that. I think someone had setup scheduled preconditions and it had been dutifully doing them through the entire holiday break even though the cars weren't going anywhere, nor plugged in. Would probably explain why the battery was half dead.

Scheduled departures for the Bolt is for charging not preconditioning. It tells the car what time to complete the charging by, mostly for managing time of use billing from hydro. Unfortunately there is no way to schedule preconditioning yet.

Scheduled departures for the Bolt is for charging not preconditioning. It tells the car what time to complete the charging by, mostly for managing time of use billing from hydro. Unfortunately there is no way to schedule preconditioning yet.

Aha, ok - thx. Even worse that they had left these cars for the holidays sitting with less than 50% Charge, while they had chargers that went unused.

Seems to me that most of the EV OEM manufacturers have stuff missing as to what EV functions should do .... Why would GM not let the Bolt be pre-conditioned???

The same way people ask what lead Kia to include pre-conditioning, but with no available app, there's simply no way to tell the car to start pre-conditioning a car now because I am leaving in 20mins (which is not what my preset schedule is). So one has to go to the garage, turn the car on and leave the car keys in the car ..... Obviously very dumb implementation.

This is where Tesla shines ... The others will get it sooner or later.

The Bolt can be preconditioned, same as the Volt...it just can’t be scheduled.

Yup, I precondition the Bolt every day, I just can't set it to do it automatically. I'm sure that it will show up in the app as an option at some point, it's not something they need to change in the car, just a scheduler in the app would do it fine.

On a different note, I hopped in my Colorado this morning to start it since it's been sitting in the cold for over a week and took it for a quick spin for gas. It felt like stepping back in time. Slow cranking to start since it had been a while, the smell from the exhaust, the noise, no heat until it warmed up, no power until the revs rise, shift lag from the tranny. Not used to any of that anymore! And then having to stand in -23c to fill it... Not missing all of that stuff at all.

The Bolt can be preconditioned, same as the Volt...it just can’t be scheduled.

I see ... So it's the opposite of Soul. How do they miss these features is quite a mystery to me always. All it takes is to give the car for a week to normal commuter.

Back
Top Bottom