Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 92 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

so I really need an interim solution.

That should be easy enough for a dealership to come up with. Get them to give you a loaner of some sort until they fix yours properly. They will want to get the Volt done ASAP so they get the loaner back.

That should be easy enough for a dealership to come up with. Get them to give you a loaner of some sort until they fix yours properly. They will want to get the Volt done ASAP so they get the loaner back.

It’s a bit of a long story, and like I said the day I posted about having bought the car, I will post the rest of the story once the deal is actually closed and I have the car in my possession. I will not name the dealer.

It has been a bit of a saga, somewhat similar to our initial Volt purchase for those who remember the story of our first one.

At this point I don’t want to piss them off too much for fear that they tell me to take a hike and sell the car to somebody else. There’s been a few rough patches along the road as it is (I’m a savvy consumer and am neither afraid to negotiate nor speak up for myself, let’s just say) and I don’t think they’re particularly pleased with me right now, especially after the purchase was settled on and they then found out the cost of the module to actually complete the necessary repairs.

Like I said, long story.

In that case I agree with you. Take possession with no heated seats function and deal with it later .... hopefully they will not try to wiggle themselves out of the responsibility to fix it, should this not be as easy of a fix as they envisioned.

I won’t leave the dealership until it is clearly documented on the purchase agreement that I am to return at a later date for the heated seats to be repaired. No worries there. ;)

Finally heard back from the dealer, no go on my plan, but they offered a loaner, so kudos to them for that.

My wife ended up arranging a carpool for her for the next few days so the transportation dilemma is no more at least, selling the old wheels this evening.

Parts are due tomorrow. Not sure if it’ll be done in time for me to go get it as I have an evening commitment now, so between that and the question if the parts actually even arrive on time, I suspect Thursday now.

How scary are the part prices?

The dealer said it was a $1000 part. No idea what it was though, I’ll try to get the info at pickup.

Aaaannnd, the Magnum is history. It went to it's new owner this evening.

I will miss that car, that Hemi was addictive in both sound, and performance...but I won't miss the weekly $75 tank of gas when I know the Volt will not use even half that amount of electricity in a full month for my typical driving patterns.

Fingers crossed for an email tomorrow morning indicating the part arrived and I can pickup after lunch...but I'm not holding my breath.

On another note .... this is where Tesla is killing and leaving all other companies in dust. They are quick and aggressive where others seems to be just waiting for the charging companies and cities to come up with something. the problem is these outfits are relatively small with.

https://www.barrietoday.com/local-news/tesla-charging-stations-coming-to-four-downtown-sites-794399

The good thing is that they are installing universal units too (Thank you Tesla for inspiring to do the right thing, even if you didn't have to) .... so looks drive to Barrie and back should be easy from GTA even on 185km range soon.

Last edited:
“Signs will be developed for all site indicating that parking spots with charge stations are not reserved for electric vehicles only. All sites will be sub metered to monitor use of the charge stations.”

I hope that’s a typo, along with the other one.

If they are not reserved for electric vehicles they are completely wasting their time installing these – they will just be completely ice’d in no time flat.

And only a few of them are non-Tesla capable – I agree, still a great gesture nonetheless - Tesla is really working hard on the destination charger infrastructure I agree, but it seems somewhat at the expensive of their supercharger network.

Regardless, good steps forward. One can only hope that when the big three auto makers really start to get serious about EV’s that they will come up with some sort of collective arrangement between them all to support a charging network like Tesla is without fracturing things any further - the last thing we need is more proprietary (IE, Tesla) chargers that only work for one brand of EV’s while leaving the competition dead. At least the big three have got on board with the J1772 standard in this regards.

These are level 2 chargers, so they'd help if you're leaving the car parked for several hours. The really big step would be DC fast chargers, which are supposed to show up at the OnRoute stops.

Seems obvious the universal charging stations were a condition of the Barrie deal. Doubt they would have installed any otherwise. Not to complain, but it's wasn't purely altruism.

Last edited:
They could have walked away ... I am not Tesla fanboy by any stretch, but they are the only company who seems to be living by its motto ... much more often than not, so that is good enough for me.

These are level 2 chargers, so they'd help if you're leaving the car parked for several hours. The really big step would be DC fast chargers, which are supposed to show up at the OnRoute stops.

Many times 30km range pit stop is all you need .. which is roughly 30mins on L2 .... it can bridge many trips to safely get home.

Many times 30km range pit stop is all you need .. which is roughly 30mins on L2
Only Teslas with the higher amp chargers would get 30km from a 1/2 hour on L2. The rest of us will need an hour to get that much range (7kwh charging rate).

But, L2 is definitely still useful when you're going to be parked for a bit. Last week, I had to be downtown throughout the day and was able to get fully charged at the lot where I parked. So, I do welcome any kind of charger installation; it's better than nothing!

They could have walked away ... I am not Tesla fanboy by any stretch, but they are the only company who seems to be living by its motto ... much more often than not, so that is good enough for me.
Of course, Tesla didn't have a gun to its head. That doesn't mean the choice they made was altruistic! It was more likely the choice that best served their own interests.

The credit belongs entirely to Barrie city council for seeing the value to Tesla and taking the opportunity to derive value from it for its citizens.

Only Teslas with the higher amp chargers would get 30km from a 1/2 hour on L2. The rest of us will need an hour to get that much range (7kwh charging rate).

But, L2 is definitely still useful when you're going to be parked for a bit. Last week, I had to be downtown throughout the day and was able to get fully charged at the lot where I parked. So, I do welcome any kind of charger installation; it's better than nothing!

Of course depends what you use in kWh per 100 km on average ... in my case it seems to be about 14 avg ... so 7kW charger would need 1hr to pump 50km into my battery ... so 25km in 30 mins ... close enough ... :) ... using 400hwy from GTA (most likely) would certainly move me to 20kWh/100 territory (considering I drive fridge on wheels) and closer to the 1hr time.

Many times 30km range pit stop is all you need .. which is roughly 30mins on L2 .... it can bridge many trips to safely get home.

L2 is not that fast even at the 32a level. At the 16A level like the Volt charges at on L2 (why, oh why did GM decide 16a@240v is fast enough, battery longevity likely) 30KM takes about 2 hours - this is why most more pure EV’s charge at at least the 32a capacity of L2, with DCFC as a step up again.

Remember, charging rates are seldom linear/maxed out either - the car wil taper rates up and down based on the SOC, and there’s also losses in the process, so 1 hour on a 7kw charger will not yield 7kw in the battery.

Last edited:
Talking km per charge time is a bit of vehicle/drive dependant debate ... so perhaps not the most useful when talking in general. For me and my car, that's what I like to use the most though.

I know they are not linear and involve losses ... although my experience is only with DCFC so far (where 50kW is usually used up to 80% SOC or somewhere there then it drops to 20, 18 and if I stay till 100% it never drops below 10kW) ... we will see what my soon operating Bosch L2 can do at home in 1hr on a battery with less than 80% SOC ... mind you on-board Kia charger is known to be rather "soft" .. on paper 6.6kWh I believe ... but a lot of people report less and with some people having issues with them. So, hopefully they fixed that for 2018 .... but at the end of the day, it's not charging I will use often and a lot.

Last edited:
Talking km per charge time is a bit of vehicle/drive dependant debate

Yes, the best way to describe charging is by kW supplied by the EVSE and the kWh gained by the car's battery; but I guess talking about distances is easier to use and digest.

L2 charging is pretty linear and "gentle", compared to DCFC. I read on discussions where some were wondering if they should lower their charging to L1 at the top end of the battery's capacity; others reasonably pointed out that L2 is pretty much like a trickle charge to EV batteries, especially those with thermal management.

Back
Top Bottom