need a new cell phone - have no idea... | Page 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

need a new cell phone - have no idea...

LOL. Quite the spin move again. Talk about moving the goalposts. The subject I've been commenting on was not the title of this thread, rather it was what you posted. Here it is again to remind you what it says,
Seems Microsoft is about to bail from the mobile market, if anyone was looking at their phones.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/microsoft-to-complete-windows-phone-wind-down-by-june-515245.shtml

I simply provided some well-known and published information to interpret that article and your (misleading) blanket statement in that post. It was "you" who then decided to debate my post and for a bonus added in an ad hominem attack.

It's not rumour no matter how you try to weasel it. The article you linked to yourself even says "[MS] is targeting to complete the Windows Phone wind-down by the end of this current quarter." Here's one of many news articles from a year ago stating that MS had literally sold their mobile phone hardware division. And there are many other news articles around that time discussing MS's mobile actions and what it meant.
https://news.microsoft.com/2016/05/...le-ltd-and-hmd-global-oy/#IZV7cUy7YJjhSphk.97
http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-memo-reveals-shifting-mobile-strategy

Last edited:
Maybe I'm just stupid, but I don't see how anything you contributed adds anything to what I said, other than "pfft, that's OLD news!"

I should probably just pack up and go to Zoomer/ Freedom etc

But I still have some coverage fears when I am in Muskoka. + with a small child I want the school to be able to reach me no matter where I am. I've never had connectivity issues with Rogers.

Zoomer is Rogers, isn't it?

via Tapatalk

Zoomer is Rogers, isn't it?

via Tapatalk
Sorry yes, it is. But I've heard rumours that they don't give their lesser brands the same "care" as they do the mothership. But iirc they are offering 2gb for what I am paying now. Tempting.

Sent from my purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

@kwtoxman I enquired about that very plan. The only issue for me atm is that I am not in NEED of the 4gb, and would rather have the subsidized phone. This has what has been at the root of me lacking to commit to a plan as of yet.

Decided that right now I would stick with my current plan. Locked in today for 2 years. My LGG4 should be here by week's end. They didn't charge connection fee (as if I would pay that!) And they said that I get a one time $25 credit. I'll take that.

Looks like @SunnyS is about to get excited:
https://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2017/08/23/official-samsung-reveals-galaxy-note-8/?amp=1

It’s finally here. After months of rumors and speculation, Samsung*has revealed the Galaxy Note 8 at an event in New York.

It’s has a lot to live up to after the Note 7 – a would-be excellent phone with a disastrous launch. But with so many leaks, Samsung didn’t exactly have much left to surprise us with. The basic specs are pretty much what we expected:

Snapdragon 835/Exynos 88956 GB RAM64/128/256 GB SSD6.3-inch qHD+ display with HDR suppprtmicroSD expansión3300 mAh batteryDual rear cameras: f1.7 normal and f2.4 wide angleIris scanner and poorly-placed fingerprint scannerIP68 water resistanceS-Pen stylus with 4,096 pressure levelsBlack, Gold, Orchid Grey and Deep Sea Blue (only first two in the US)

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Note 7 was an excellent excellent phone, I could likely say it was the best phone I ever owned and I've been through a few. I dearly missed it and wasn't happy about having to return it 2 times. They gave me a S7 Edge as a replacement and although good, felt like a downgrade. The amazing screen, large size, and waterproofing were all great featuers.

I went back to BlackBerry "for now" with the KEYone. The physical keyboard is simply amazing and this phone suits my needs as a workhorse communications machine more than any other phone I've ever had.

The touchwiz and samsung bloatware was a real turn off and the lack of and slow updates is really disappointing.

The BlackBerry marries the best of Android with the best of Blackberry so if you are a BB10 hold out and still enjoy the BB experience, I highly recommend switching over. 100% Android and 100% Blackberry. Love the extra security features with monthly security updates, its pretty much stock android so no crappy bloatware, excellent BB software and features, and its confirmed that we will be getting the new Android Oreo OS as well.

Having said all this, the Note 8 will be my go to phone on the next upgrade when I tire of this BB and/or I dont like what the next gen keyone offers.

Edit... *cough* Note 8 $1300 cdn plus tax to buy one outright? holy moly..... can't you buy a high end laptop for that price?

Last edited:
Edit... *cough* Note 8 $1300 cdn plus tax to buy one outright? holy moly..... can't you buy a high end laptop for that price?

I saw that and almost choked as well. Bell and Rogers are ballsy enough to charge even more (1350) and presumably lock it for you too. Then I checked the price of older phones, they have been keeping the price high for a while. Current rough prices are S7 700, S7 Edge 750, S8 900, S8+1000. That amazed me, I figured S7 should be <500 by now.

They haven't announced what they will do to placate N7 buyers in Canada yet. My guess is something useless (and cheap for them) like a Dex station.

They haven't announced what they will do to placate N7 buyers in Canada yet. My guess is something useless (and cheap for them) like a Dex station.

In the US they are offering up to $450 for previous Note owners to upgrade their current phone to the 8.

having seen the cdn promotions yet.

In the US they are offering up to $450 for previous Note owners to upgrade their current phone to the 8.

having seen the cdn promotions yet.
...was just about to post the same thing. Although I wonder what would get you the full $450 (or was it $425?)

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Basic question about international usage:

My phone is an iPhone 5s, locked to Telus. My wife's phone is an iPhone 5, locked to Rogers.
Our current provider allows an international roaming at $10/day and for both of us to use these plans every day, it would cost over $300 combined for our trip.

Would it make more sense for each of us to have our phones unlocked and just put in a SIM card that is local to the country we are visiting?
Would this allow us to access local cellular plans in that country or a pay as you go?

We want to be able to make calls/texts and access emails/internet while there.

Many thanks!

Whenever I travelled to Europe or anywhere else Telus had a decent plan for $50 that would allow me 150 (or so) text messages, 50min of calling, and 1GB of data or so. Haven't used it in a while but it's on their site. Alternatively I had unlocked phones where I would swap out the SIM card before I started using the Telus plan.

There are a few phones you can find online that are dual sim which will allow you to keep your phone, and the local phone number of wherever you are. Just go on kijiji and type in 'dual sim' and there are options.

Basic question about international usage:

My phone is an iPhone 5s, locked to Telus. My wife's phone is an iPhone 5, locked to Rogers.
Our current provider allows an international roaming at $10/day and for both of us to use these plans every day, it would cost over $300 combined for our trip.

Would it make more sense for each of us to have our phones unlocked and just put in a SIM card that is local to the country we are visiting?
Would this allow us to access local cellular plans in that country or a pay as you go?

We want to be able to make calls/texts and access emails/internet while there.

Many thanks!

Do you need both phones active? I always encourage people to forward one phone to the other and just pay for roam like home on one phone. Turn on the second in case of emergency. Instantly cuts your cost in half.

In past trips I have thought about buying sim cards but the amount of time and effort spent unlocking phones, finding compatible carriers, finding a place to buy the card and then the cost of a pay as you go plan just didn't make sense.

It's not that complicated really. Buy a Sim at a convenience store. Pop it in. Top up pre pay account and you're off.

Your phone must be unlocked so it can work with any carrier Sim.

For example

https://www.2degreesmobile.co.nz/mobile/prepay/

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. Now we only need my wife's phone to stay active. Rogers has a 'roam away from home' plan that allows you to access your home plan for around $10/day I think so she'll just do that or buy a smaller cheap plan for several days throughout the trip. I am buying a iPad mini 2 w/ cellular today that is unlocked, so I will be bringing that with me too, which will be good enough for me to check my emails and use for GPS while on the go.

As an aside, if I decide to unlock my current iPhone, I assume none of the info on the phone will be affected because it's all backed up to iTunes anyways?

Back
Top Bottom