need a new cell phone - have no idea... | Page 12 | GTAMotorcycle.com

need a new cell phone - have no idea...

Roam like home works well. It caps at 10 days per calendar month that you have to pay for (potentially pay 100 for a full month of service or 10 days depending on where your trip falls in the month).

How are you getting data to the mini? Hotspot from the wife's phone or local Sims?

Thanks for the replies. Now we only need my wife's phone to stay active. Rogers has a 'roam away from home' plan that allows you to access your home plan for around $10/day I think so she'll just do that or buy a smaller cheap plan for several days throughout the trip. I am buying a iPad mini 2 w/ cellular today that is unlocked, so I will be bringing that with me too, which will be good enough for me to check my emails and use for GPS while on the go.

As an aside, if I decide to unlock my current iPhone, I assume none of the info on the phone will be affected because it's all backed up to iTunes anyways?
Unlocking a phone allows you to use it with any carrier. It has no affect on the data or information on the device.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Not sure if it's taken effect yet but the CRTC has stated that the telcos will have to unlock phones for free.
Not yet...dec or jan 1st iirc

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Went to get my son a new phone finally (renew wife's plan on 2 year term, she is gonna keep her old S4 still exellent condition, and she is a low-phone- user. Had it 2 years, still has not set up her vm lol).
Asked about no charge phones, was down to deciding between Galaxy A5 and LGG4. He decided to get the same as me for many of the reasons that @-D- had posted.
I call back to do the upgrade and I get a pleasant csr that says " well the LGG5 is $50 right now, but I will waive that and the activation fee as well."
So now my kid has a better phone than I do.
Anyway, just wanted to update and also as an fyi for anyone that is also renewing/upgrading with Rogers, and is as cheap, er, frugal, as I am. ?

Can anyone shed some light on the following phones and see if hey are worth it? I've messed up mine and I'm getting one for my brother. These are the options we have narrowed it down to (going by provider). Which ones better or more worth the money? Any experiences with these phones?

Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra - $420
LG X Power 2 - $280
ZTE Grand 4 - $170
LG Stylo 3 Plus - $360

@Rochester for my recent dealings both of those LG phones were offerrd free with a plan, so imo they are priced a little high.
Now this all depends on how dependant you are on your phone. Those all seem to be entry level (slower processors, smaller storage)
If you are set on those, I would lean towards the ZTE. iirc, similar to the others, with a smaller price tag.
I was also going to suggest Blu phones, but I've heard mixed reviews.
Is a used phone out of the question?
For example, my SIL is selling a iPhone 6s 64gb for around $350. Now I am a little weary buying stuff like that off of Kijiji etc, but maybe you know someone that recently upgraded?
I hope this helps a little.

@Rochester for my recent dealings both of those LG phones were offerrd free with a plan, so imo they are priced a little high.
Now this all depends on how dependant you are on your phone. Those all seem to be entry level (slower processors, smaller storage)
If you are set on those, I would lean towards the ZTE. iirc, similar to the others, with a smaller price tag.
I was also going to suggest Blu phones, but I've heard mixed reviews.
Is a used phone out of the question?
For example, my SIL is selling a iPhone 6s 64gb for around $350. Now I am a little weary buying stuff like that off of Kijiji etc, but maybe you know someone that recently upgraded?
I hope this helps a little.

Thanks @Joe_Bass

I'm not much of a gamer and since I'm paying my brother isn't going to get much more than this. My plan is really good $30 unlimited local calling and texting with unlimited data hence the expensive phones. But I essentially get abt $100 credit off of the phones.

Thanks @Joe_Bass

I'm not much of a gamer and since I'm paying my brother isn't going to get much more than this. My plan is really good $30 unlimited local calling and texting with unlimited data hence the expensive phones. But I essentially get abt $100 credit off of the phones.

Unlimited data ??

What carrier? Do you have a link to the plan ?

Sorry buddy it's no longer available. I got it 4 years ago.

Ah, sounds like the same situation we have, fiance inherited my 10 year old Blackberry "unlimited data" plan when I got a corporate device a few years back lol.

Was wondering if a new one one with a loop hole popped up :)

Ah, sounds like the same situation we have, fiance inherited my 10 year old Blackberry "unlimited data" plan when I got a corporate device a few years back lol.

Was wondering if a new one one with a loop hole popped up :)

I know. It's funny how it all changed. Mobilicity, Public Mobile and wind all had these unlimited data plans at one point. Now they are being absorbed by the large corps and once again they are charging more while offering less.

Has anyone tried those Asian brands? Like xiaomi, honor, nuu mobile, etc?

haven't tried those specifically, but have a oneplus chinese phone, fantastic
xiaomi has a cult following in china, bigger than apple
huawei also very well regarded

check out the site banggood for deals on xiaomi...ive bought there before
super fast shipping, 3 days from china, they are an official xiaomi dealer

Been hearing good things about the Huawei P10 and P10 lite not sure if pricing though.

haven't tried those specifically, but have a oneplus chinese phone, fantastic
xiaomi has a cult following in china, bigger than apple
huawei also very well regarded

check out the site banggood for deals on xiaomi...ive bought there before
super fast shipping, 3 days from china, they are an official xiaomi dealer

Thanks! I'm checking out the site right now and saw this one. What do you all think?

https://www.banggood.com/Xiaomi-Red...ore-4G-Smartphone-p-1129991.html?rmmds=search

Will I have any issues with the network and google play stores here?

Last edited:
good specs for the price, qualcomm chip, 3 gigs ram, dual sim, 32 gigs onboard mem, sd card slot, big battery
only real draw back is the display, looks like a dull display, suspect the camera is just passable

if you scroll down the listing theres a will it work link to click on
choose the device, country and provider to see if it works for

for 150 USD seems like a good deal on a budget phone
if you can afford it, their flagship is the mi6, last years is mi5 and a great deal

good specs for the price, qualcomm chip, 3 gigs ram, dual sim, 32 gigs onboard mem, sd card slot, big battery
only real draw back is the display, looks like a dull display, suspect the camera is just passable

if you scroll down the listing theres a will it work link to click on
choose the device, country and provider to see if it works for

for 150 USD seems like a good deal on a budget phone
if you can afford it, their flagship is the mi6, last years is mi5 and a great deal

It seems like none of them will work. I'm with Wind/Freedom Mobile. This is such a bummer.

Back
Top Bottom