Tire pressure, and suspension setup | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tire pressure, and suspension setup

So if I am new and slow riding a Ninja 300, I don't need tire warmers right? If I plan on pushing it to it's limit racing then I should get slicks and tire warmers. I don't accelerate or brake nearly as much as the rest of the guys so will I lose too much heat anyways? Does all this mainly apply to 600's and 1000's? I'm going to leave my stock tires at 30psi front and back cold and see how it goes.

As discussed, your rear suspension and tires should be your expense for your first season.

OEM tire on a CBR250 versus a Dunlop Unbeaten or Pirelli Rosso II has a difference of 1' 28" SMP Pro Track to 1' 23"

Same bike setup. Same rider.

OEM tires on a lot of bikes are pure garbage in terms of performance and shouldn't be on the track, with the exception of the very high end superbikes which come shod in Pirelli SuperCorsa SPs and equivalent. Even then... I wouldn't be surprised to find a difference between OEM spec rubber and aftermarket with the same tire model (usually with a slightly different skew #).

OEM tires on a lot of bikes are pure garbage in terms of performance and shouldn't be on the track, with the exception of the very high end superbikes which come shod in Pirelli SuperCorsa SPs and equivalent. Even then... I wouldn't be surprised to find a difference between OEM spec rubber and aftermarket with the same tire model (usually with a slightly different skew #).

Supernam and I have had the discussion already. I would think that the OEM tires to Moderate performance aftermarket would be more dramatic on bigger displacement bikes.

But I actually had hard data on the 2 types of tires on a small cc displacement bikes so I offered it up.

I have data as well with more aggressive Pirelli SC however the data is not comparable since rider experience and bike setup varied thereby making the results so that they are not conclusive.

Good to go. I don't doubt your data, TBH.

Good to go. I don't doubt your data, TBH.

Supernam and I have had the discussion already. I would think that the OEM tires to Moderate performance aftermarket would be more dramatic on bigger displacement bikes.

But I actually had hard data on the 2 types of tires on a small cc displacement bikes so I offered it up.

I have data as well with more aggressive Pirelli SC however the data is not comparable since rider experience and bike setup varied thereby making the results so that they are not conclusive.

The plan is to run a trackday or 2 on the stock tires, then change over to the Pirelli Diablo Rosso II front and back without tire warmers for now.(as per Bakaboy's recommendation)

Not sure about suspension yet, trying to not invest too much money until I see how many people are going to come out for the 300 Production and Lightweight Production RACE series. If there is no interest, I may need to get a different bike.

So, as a complete newbie in 2015 I ran Dunlop Q3's front & rear on my old '91 ZX7 with stock front suspension & installed a used Penske 2 way shock I bought from Ebay on the rear.
Set the sag as best as I could, front forks were at just under 30mm & I adjusted rear shock pre-load to give around 28mm sag but I had to screw the preload adjuster quite a long way down to get that sag so I'm thinking to get the rear shock serviced & re-sprung over the winter for my body weight.
At some point early in 2016 season my Q3's will need replacing so I'm now pondering on the question of investing in warmers & track tires myself.
I really like the Q3's & they felt rock soild, like on rails through 2015 but they do have a good bluey tinge to them now & show some cold tearing (I think thats what it would be).
Question is:
Stick with Q3's?
or
Make the jump to warmers?
I should say I alreday have an oldish 2500W generator (picked up cheap from someone at work) so I wouldnt have that expense.
What do you think?

Not to thread hijack but since there seems to be some interest was wondering if Mr. Bickle was going to be at the Bike Show this year selling his warmers? I personally would like to pick up a pair for next years track season. I think it would be great to support someone who supports this sport as well.

So, as a complete newbie in 2015 I ran Dunlop Q3's front & rear on my old '91 ZX7 with stock front suspension & installed a used Penske 2 way shock I bought from Ebay on the rear.
Set the sag as best as I could, front forks were at just under 30mm & I adjusted rear shock pre-load to give around 28mm sag but I had to screw the preload adjuster quite a long way down to get that sag so I'm thinking to get the rear shock serviced & re-sprung over the winter for my body weight.
At some point early in 2016 season my Q3's will need replacing so I'm now pondering on the question of investing in warmers & track tires myself.
I really like the Q3's & they felt rock soild, like on rails through 2015 but they do have a good bluey tinge to them now & show some cold tearing (I think thats what it would be).
Question is:
Stick with Q3's?
or
Make the jump to warmers?
I should say I alreday have an oldish 2500W generator (picked up cheap from someone at work) so I wouldnt have that expense.
What do you think?
Rear shock sounds undersprung.

The genny is usually the expensive part so if you already have one I would go with warmers.

Rear shock sounds undersprung.

The genny is usually the expensive part so if you already have one I would go with warmers.

Oh I don't know... there seem to be a lot of very cheap (loud) generators around that were certainly less expensive than a good set of warmers. LOL

Yea Dave............mine might be just a tad loud, maybe a 160' extension cord will help keep the generator far enough away ha ha.

Not to thread hijack but since there seems to be some interest was wondering if Mr. Bickle was going to be at the Bike Show this year selling his warmers? I personally would like to pick up a pair for next years track season. I think it would be great to support someone who supports this sport as well.
No we do not do the bike show but we will be there for a Canadian Rider Safety Meeting ,CRSF,at some time.

Oh I don't know... there seem to be a lot of very cheap (loud) generators around that were certainly less expensive than a good set of warmers. LOL

My $200 chinese genny has lasted 8 seasons now and I've never changed the oil... hahahaha Don't care if it's loud!

You're at a race track so you should have to shout all the time to have a conversation.

People should leave their generators out in plain view so when picking a pit for the weekend you can choose what generator you're going to have to hear for the next 3 days.

Don't get me started on the generator thing!
There are some very good cost effective generators today that are quiet.
It may not bother you to have a noisey generator,,but for the cost of a decent quiet one now,, it should.
And buying a loud cheap one and 3000 feet of cord,,,most likely will not run your warmers at peak heat.
It may move the noise away from you, but it is now closer to some one else.

It's going to be a long winter if we've already started into these kinds of threads. :p

Back
Top Bottom