The KTM RC390 thread | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The KTM RC390 thread

No they don't, the modern generation of KTM engines are as reliable as anyone else's.

mmmm...not so sure. MCN has two test bikes, the 125 and the Duke 1290. Both suffered major failures in 1000 miles: crankcase porosity, warped brake discs, and a seized transmission on the 125.

Let's hope that the problems bubbling up on the new Super Duke aren't revisited in this much less expensive bike. Indian quality isn't a reliable term at the moment. If KTM avoided the "crap" bin frequented by the Japanese suspension engineers, then the 390 will walk away with a tidy chunk of the market. It would also negate any concerns about a slight price premium. Decent legroom and I'm sold.

It fits 6"3" testers, apparently. Where a bike is made has nothing to do with bad design, the Super Duke issues are due to bad design, not who assembled the bike. India makes some reliability tanks in a country where people put well over 100,000 miles on bikes in a few years.

mmmm...not so sure. MCN has two test bikes, the 125 and the Duke 1290. Both suffered major failures in 1000 miles: crankcase porosity, warped brake discs, and a seized transmission on the 125.

that sucks, link to the article? also, have they fixed these issues since?

Ducati is probably one of the best brands out there, as far as strategy and organization.

Their product is completely different though ...

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

And which bike brand doesn't go through few faulty units, especially when new models are launched. Nothing to worry about.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

that sucks, link to the article? also, have they fixed these issues since?

It's in the print versions of MCN, long term testing the Duke and they could even finish the test of the KTM 125.
Similarly, Motorcyclist could not test the MV triple because of the EFI mapping and clutch.

Do you know how many people have asked me if I'm nuts for looking for a s1000rr because they started out with a couple issues?

Yeah, well, my brother's S1000RR has had issues, all fixed, and a lot of shop time. I'll say a prayer for anyone who buys this bike off warranty.

Year? Early ones were known but several people I know have 12 or 13s with no issues at all.

Back on track, I will bet that for the people who buy the 390 they don't have issues either. I've read a lot of reviews toting their reliability before. Can't see them saying good bye to quality because they bring us a new bike.

'12. He's gone through a few sensors (tip over). The problem is that working yourself on those bikes isn't really an option, and if there are poor quality sensors, they just put the same part back in and cross fingers. Leading edge is bleeding edge.

Fancy electronics are cool and all but I see it as something else that's going to be expensive to fix.

Apparently you can put a deposit for this bike @ GP Bikes. This bike will also be at the February show.

This bike will also be at the February show.

I've never wanted for Old Man Winter to come so bad. I hope RC390 comes in purple. Just so I can say what's small and purple and tingles between my legs? I don't know how I would ever tire of saying that.

Apparently you can put a deposit for this bike @ GP Bikes. This bike will also be at the February show.

So the price is known then? Or are people putting down deposits without a firm OTD? Hope it's not a theft magnet, but with all the buzz that's probably not realistic.

So the price is known then? Or are people putting down deposits without a firm OTD? Hope it's not a theft magnet, but with all the buzz that's probably not realistic.

Price is not known yet. My friend put down a deposit without a firm OTD price.

That sounds a bit disreputable and expensive. The price of being first, I guess.

I love the RC390 but don't like what my research on the Duke 125 (almost the same bike, made in same factory in India) suggests about reliability and durability.

My Thailand-built cbr125 has been bulletproof for nearly 30,000 km of me beating on it.

I will likely hold out for a year to see how the 390 stands up.

Back
Top Bottom