Loud Vehicle Legislation Across Canada | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Loud Vehicle Legislation Across Canada

Agreed, it also comes down to how you ride/drive. Even with a loud bike/car you dont HAVE to shift at redline.

I spent a bit of my break time, today, pointing out to ideological conservatives on the Toronto Sun comments section that pointing to the presumed misdeeds of others, when confronted about your own misdeeds, is not a valid form of debate. Now I'll do the same with you. Wrong is wrong.

Now we extend the debate to the other 'villains.' Trains are required to blow their whistles at certain times, for certain purposes. Engineers have no choice in the matter. Trucks require a certain level of power too, to haul their loads. Their function largely dictates their form. As I've stated previously there are bylaws that govern the use of construction equipment and lawn care tools, stating when they can and cannot be used.

You choose to have a noisy vehicle.

My RC51 is pretty f'n loud. But it's a race exhaust. It's made to be in compliance.
92 at idle. No problem. Loudest it gets is at 8,0000rpm. And then it's still only 96db.

At idle it's only 83.

Agreed, it also comes down to how you ride/drive. Even with a loud bike/car you dont HAVE to shift at redline.

I was out for a walk with the Mrs. one evening and a Harley rode by. He was using a low RPM and low on the power curve. I assume stock pipes. The noise from the lawnmower across the street was more audible.

If you're not wearing ATGATT, then the 'loud pipes save lives' argument is useless. I do feel that Ontario is doing a pretty good job with motorcycle awareness, especially in light of all the recent deaths. Driving home on the 401, every single one of the electronic signs read "give motorcycles space".

I'm very mixed with the exhaust discussion, I myself initially wanted to upgrade my exhaust so that it had deep perturbing fart sound... but changed my mind due to finances.

I understand the freedom of expression, people modifying their small cars so that it has a louder exhaust. But I think this should be an all around noise-bylaw which includes loud music as well.

We always have this idiot who rolls up in his shitmobile with a sound-system that literally rattles our windows. He plays annoying pop top 40 music; the by-laws in Brampton only protect us after 2AM so by-law officers couldn't actually do anything. I asked the by-law officer whether the anti-idling bylaw would apply because he had his engine running... ultimately, he got a warning for idling his car for longer than 3 minutes.

I do feel for the smaller communities, but if you live beside major arterial roads... then it's you're own fault.

I bought my bike second hand and it came with Vance and Hines loud shortie pipes. Back in the day (80s) I put loud pipes on my bike, but I wouldn't do it today, even though I love the sound. There were two reasons to have loud pipes; the first was for better performance, the second was to make an impression on people by scaring or annoying the hell out of them. Just look at that movie, The Wild One to see where that came from.

Do I think there should be a crackdown (cashdown?) on loud pipes? They tried it back in the 1970s without much success. Also, I give cred to the freedom argument because if we outlawed everything that is a nuisance we wouldn't have much freedom left. People need to be more tolerant.

BTW, I ride with earplugs, not because of the pipes but because the wind noise is deafening above 60mph with a half-helmet.

Last edited:
Do I think there should be a crackdown (cashdown?) on loud pipes? They tried it back in the 1970s without much success. Also, I give cred to the freedom argument because if we outlawed everything that is a nuisance we wouldn't have much freedom left. People need to be more tolerant.

The issue is that we all get regulated, because of a few thoughtless and selfish people who refuse to self regulate.

Back
Top Bottom