Shipping Rates from the US - Online Parts | GTAMotorcycle.com

Shipping Rates from the US - Online Parts

Dresden

I'm looking to get some cafe-racer parts shipped from the US to me. The shipping charges seem to be astronomical.
I'm hoping someone has a better suggestion or else I will just have to suck it up.

Clip-on bars + mirrors = $150 US through Dime City Cycles based out of Florida.
Shipping quote with USPS = $50 US (really?? I shipped a custom seat from the far east for $90)

CBI express is $6 US .. driving down would be $40 in gas, so it really doesn't work in my favour very well.

Any more experienced folks with advice?

Not sure if it's paypal or other issues but most US retailers will now only ship to Canada using the higher priced services. I recently purchased a part from a UK dealer and the shipping was only 2 Euros ($4). If you can't find a good deal (including shipping), look at some of the UK sites.

They charge more to ship to Canada because they are forced to go to the post office or UPS or whatever service they select in person and fill out the forms for export/import. A real pain in the *** compared to just printing a label and having the mail service pick up. The cheapest solution is to get a US address in Buffalo and then drive over and pick the stuff up.

They have warehousing services at most border towns that you can ship stuff too and run over and pick up yourself. You are still obligated to pay duties and taxes if CBSA feels they want to charge you for the items that day. Every officer is different and everyone's experience is different. My only advice is to declare everything, I work in Customs not the Government and I hear the horror stories of people trying to get away with only a few dollars worth of goods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Ship to one of the services on the US side and ride the bike down to get them (bring a backpack large enough) instead of spending $40 in gas for the cage... It is not like these are large parts...

They have warehousing services at most border towns that you can ship stuff too and run over and pick up yourself. You are still obligated to pay duties and taxes if CBSA feels they want to charge you for the items that day. Every officer is different and everyone's experience is different. My only advice is to declare everything, I work in Customs not the Government and I hear the horror stories of people trying to get away with only a few dollars worth of goods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

+1. If it is trying to save money on shipping costs...by all means use warehousing services and pick up at border, then declare everything.

Never ever try to save on duties & taxes.... it's not worth it.

op's first post guys.

op says driving to the border is not an option.

Yes, thank you for the responses. I have looked into CBI express already. It would cost $15 US to ship it to CBI location, + $6 for them to hold it, and $40 in gas for me to travel down there.. not really much of a savings and not worth the hassle.

I'm just really taken aback that it costs $50US to ship a relatively small parcel from Florida to Toronto when it cost me $90 to ship a seat from Vietnam to Toronto just a few days ago. This is via USPS, so I don't get nailed with the UPS brokerage fees.

Looks like I'm going to have to suck it up. Maybe I'll order a few extra things (exhaust etc.) to make it all worthwhile.

If you were a close friend, I'd do the pickup for you.

(Get a group of friends, and take turns making "Goodie" runs). I've got pickups every other month or so between my friends and I. :)

I doubt it costs more than $15. Try contacting Dime city and see if they can work something out. Good companies address this.

I'd expect $15 to be for a pair of shoes via USPS. $50 isn't that much considering the weight. I would have guessed $30 + more if they're shipping with a non-USPS carrier, with insurance, etc etc.

CBI will hold your packages for a long time (I think up to 3 months?). I always just order a whole wackload of stuff and pick everything up at once. Averages out my gas cost with the savings I get from all my separate purchases.

PS, stop by Memphis Fire BBQ in Winona on the way back ;)

I'd expect $15 to be for a pair of shoes via USPS. $50 isn't that much considering the weight. I would have guessed $30 + more if they're shipping with a non-USPS carrier, with insurance, etc etc.

Clipons and mirrors shouldn't weigh that much.
Some shippers look at box size (volume) and some retailers ship in these oversized boxes.

Always avoid UPS (oops),they charge brokerage fees based on percentage of value, not item.

Clip on and bar end mirrors in ebay. Comes with free shipping. Ive seen the clip ons or bar end mirrors they sell at town moto, cycleworld, gp and royal. Youre paying 2-3x the price for the same build and quality.

If any companies out of Hong Kong are selling what you want, shipping is often free or very cheap worldwide. They subsidize international shipping to encourage export.

Clip on and bar end mirrors in ebay. Comes with free shipping. Ive seen the clip ons or bar end mirrors they sell at town moto, cycleworld, gp and royal. Youre paying 2-3x the price for the same build and quality.

I've tried to do a search for these but have not come up with anything of quality on EBay.

These are the mirrors: pretty pricey @ $70
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vinta...ish-triumph-baron-bar-end-mirror-ap-104b.html

Do you know of any other places/ads with a similar build-quality?

I've been warned that although the price is much better on these, they will not fit as well and may have a lot of vibration/loosening issues
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vinta...k-british-triumph-bar-end-mirror-16-0033.html

most things that cross the border suck for rates... I am lucky(?) to live pretty close and work even closer to the border. For me not too big an ordeal to jump over to pick up parts. i use www.parceldonkeyusa.com/ they have good rates and better hours then most of the parcel companies.

granted you are a little further out from the border, but maybe the trip is more worthwhile to use one of the available mail places if you go fo dinner, get gas and have some other shopping or whatever to do?

coming back just be open and declare what you have. We have very rarely been brouhgt ion to pay any duty and this is going over for 2-3 hours coming back with $300 worth of whatrever and sometimes even with a case of beer declared.

Back
Top Bottom