California bound on an FJR1300 in April | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

California bound on an FJR1300 in April

What is your distance per day / riding time per day.
My average km per day are around 600. Once I get to California that number will decrease as I plan to stop and smell the roses.

Don't worry about posting Pics, you can do that when you got time. Enjoy your trip.

I am in Palm Springs tonight. Same weather as Phoenix , hot and pukey. However, I am not complaining. I asked a police officer for directions and he couldn't believe how far from home I was. The steep mountains provide a beautiful back drop from any angle. I ran in to a guy from B.C. at my hotel who had a gixer 1000 loaded on the back of his pick up truck. He was riding the prime roads a long the way and doing some track days in California. He was going to Willow Springs next.

Been a long time since I was in Palm Springs but I liked it then....likely big time changed.
WHere you at now??
You doing the PCH?

I am in Southern California. Took mountain back roads from Palm Springs to San Diego. I have been traveling north on the PCH at a leisurely pace. I visited distant cousins in Temecula and Huntington Beach who hosted me over night. I am know in Redondo Beach for the night. Yesterday I visited the Santa Monica Pier, Marina Del Ray and Venice Beach. Venice was not what I expected. While scenically beautiful, it was a bit of a freak show. The boardwalk was filled with street people, buskers, and a retail scene that featured head shops and "Marijuana Doctors" who would write you a prescription for $40. Laguna beach has been the most stunning town along the PCH so far. California drivers are ass holes. Every one is in a hurry and drives with a sense of entitlement. I saw a sobering story on the local news last night. A 26 year motorcycle LAPD veteran was killed by a stoned driver.

Sent from my A1-810 using Tapatalk

I am in Southern California. Took mountain back roads from Palm Springs to San Diego. I have been traveling north on the PCH at a leisurely pace. I visited distant cousins in Temecula and Huntington Beach who hosted me over night. I am know in Redondo Beach for the night. Yesterday I visited the Santa Monica Pier, Marina Del Ray and Venice Beach. Venice was not what I expected. While scenically beautiful, it was a bit of a freak show. The boardwalk was filled with street people, buskers, and a retail scene that featured head shops and "Marijuana Doctors" who would write you a prescription for $40. Laguna beach has been the most stunning town along the PCH so far. California drivers are *** holes. Every one is in a hurry and drives with a sense of entitlement. I saw a sobering story on the local news last night. A 26 year motorcycle LAPD veteran was killed by a stoned driver.

Yep, stay out of their way :) however, they are usually accommodating of lane splitting, which is nice.

I just came to ONT for a month from CA, the opposite. Be sure to ride The Snake, GMR, and Palomar Mountain while you're there, if you need specific directions or links send me a PM. I can probably find some buddies to show you the roads depending on what day also

I feel like a retired person because I forget what day if is ( they all feel the same). Any ways I have seen a lit since I touched base. I rode the wicked P.C.H, I rode through Yosemite, and tomorrow I ride through Death Valley and end my say in Las Vegas.

You are also babbling :D...but I understand.

I assume you are going the fast and steep route into Death Valley??

There are two choices for going down the mountain: the 198 (faster, but curvy and some people think it's too curvy or steep - we use it all the time)

It's a wild ride and hard on the brakes but worth it....but you may not be in that region.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Sorry I sound babbling but those are all embarrassing typo's on small key board. A 90 mile stretch of P.C.H was much more technically challenging than I expected during the stretch south of Carmel. This is to say nothing of the majestic beauty. Yosemite was stunning. There is an endless serpentine road leading in to the park. The high mountain passes were closed but we were allowed into the village at heights of 6000 feet where I encountered wet snow on trees and shoulders of road. Road a great canyon road east of Bakersfield called 178. Death Valley featured lots of elevation changes and predictable sweepers. I just arrived in Las Vegas. I think I'm going to stay a couple of days and be a tourist.

I just arrived in Las Vegas. I think I'm going to stay a couple of days and be a tourist.

I did the exact same mistake lol
Make sure to lock all the debit/credt cards away =)

Be a real tourist, and post some pics!
Sharing is caring =)

Last edited:
I did the exact same mistake lol
Make sure to lock all the debit/credt cards away =)

Be a real tourist, and post some pics!
Sharing is caring =)

Trust me, if it was possible I would have shown every one all my pics. You see, when my riding day is over I post all my pics to my Facebook for my family and friends. By the time I am done that, all I want is a meal and a cold beer.

These are my observations on Las Vegas: People like to let loose here. I soon figured out it is legal to walk around in public with alcoholic beverage in hand. They rent out motor scooters to tourists to ride with out the requirement to wear a helmet. Prostitution is legal and they will marry you at the drop of a hat. I am staying right in the middle of the action near the Harley-Davidson Cafe, but today I walked for some 5 kms to the older part of town. It was there that encountered all the cheesy wedding chapels and the retail store of the popular TV show Pawn Stars. I walked in there expecting to at least see a minor character from the show but it was not to be. There were just half a dozen unknown faces trying to hustle business. The experience was kind of disappointing. On some level I've got to believe the show is not so good for business because the store is constantly filled with tourists rather than serious customers.

Last edited:
Today I rode from Las Vegas to Williams Arizona. This puts me one hour south of the Grand Canyon for tomorrow. The scenery in this town is amazing. The town sits at 6600 feet. The surrounding hills are covered in pine making it look more like Colorado. Hovering over the town in the distance are The San Francisco Peaks. They stand majestically snow covered at 12600 feet. They are truly a site to behold. I had no idea northern Arizona looked like this.

Cool - the Grand Canyon was far more extensive than we thought. The road along the south rim into park is superb.

At one time if the Lee's ferry was out of commission people had to go 850 miles out of their way for another route. !!
Enjoy.

Might be on your route
http://www.nps.gov/glca/planyourvisit/lees-ferry.htm

Isn't it pretty chilly riding?

I have been on the road for almost a month and I have seen many beautiful places along the way. I have been in Colorado for the past two days and I finally understand why this place has such a strong attraction to so many of you on this forum. Colorado is every thing I expected and more.

A very magical place indeed! Can't wait to go back next year!

I was in Telluride yesterday and the place had me spell bound. I lucked out as far as the weather goes. The whole state has experienced summer weather this week. Tomorrow I head to Gunnison. I am in Durango tonight. I am taking my sweet time through Colorado.

In Pagosa Springs you must stop at Pagosa Baking Company, you won't be disappointed!
You are going to burn off a lot of calories riding The Wolf Creek Pass;), so when you get to South Fork, have some Mexican at Ramon's! After lunch 149 to Gunnison via Spring Creek Pass and Slumgullion Pass...make sure to fill up your tank in South Fork! Safe travels!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom