Anyone into gardening here? | Page 15 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone into gardening here?

I am amazed at how well my watermelon vines are growing in the hot sun. I don't see any fruit yet (unfortunately) but the vines grow on an hourly basis

I am amazed at how well my watermelon vines are growing in the hot sun. I don't see any fruit yet (unfortunately) but the vines grow on an hourly basis

Put one plant in a bed I was going to add to at a later date..can't now, thing has taken over. It's a monster. Hope we get something off it.

Garden is producing like crazy now. So much food. Fresh peas are ending soon, but had tons. Have cucumbers, dill, cherry tomatoes, onions, chinese veg, lettuce, potatoes, raspberries, all coming out right now. Only recently have I taken some extra effort to try new options in ways to eat all this food. And it has been eye-opening goodness. Some garden veg pics for me will be in the what's for dinner thread.

No cukes but lots of tomatoes. Luckily my BIL garden has plenty of them. Had a tomato cuke onion salad for dinner.
Oh, and just so no one freaks, this is dessert:
9d4733f50f693302666a951eb43bf279.jpg

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

What's a good ios app for identifying plants?
I use @shanekingsley ?

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

My sunflowers are sunny! Yay. And taller than I but let's face facts - that is no big feat.

CG I think one is plant pics or something like that. My MIL has it for her iPhone, take a pic and it gives you three suggestions on what it can be. You narrow it down from there.

My sunflowers are sunny! Yay. And taller than I but let's face facts - that is no big feat.

CG I think one is plant pics or something like that. My MIL has it for her iPhone, take a pic and it gives you three suggestions on what it can be. You narrow it down from there.

In another house I planted sunflowers and put in a drip and spray watering system that watered every day. The things grew to around 10-15ft for some of them.

Got rid of all my weed issues

is been like this now for a week, sod was laid today...

Keep us updated. I thought you're creating a barrier between the new sod and your old soil. Your new sod might have trouble growing through. Grass root need to go 4 inches minimum to be healthy.

The old grass being composted underneath the new soil will create heat and stop any thing to grow through. This is why youneed to use sod cuter to remove old sod completely, letting new soil and old soil contact well for microorganism to live.

I'm very curious to see how this turns out

well here we are 5 almost 6 weeks later and it looks great, has taken root well, a few thin spots under the cherry trees but I expected that since very little sunshine gets to that area, I am loving the lawn, but not so much the mowing,,,,lol

What's a good ios app for identifying plants?
This gets decent reviews and is free: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/garden-answers-plant-identification/id605855033?mt=8
Also check out Plantifier (free), Leafsnap (free) or Like That Garden.
I have colleagues who use these and claim that each has limitations, but all are useful to different degrees. I should really start using some of these - there's so many plants that it becomes tough to remember them all after a while.

The squirrels have totally destroyed my sunflowers. Next year I will be waiting for them.

My squirrels seem selective for only sunflower destruction. Can't grow them at all. They even nabbed all the dwarf ones and left stumps in the container. My dogs are doing their best to scare the living day lights out of them but they are persistent and/or not bothered.

A few pics - starting with the squirrel who sunbathes on the compost bin while scoping out how to best attack my sunflowers.
IMG_4219-X2.jpg

One of my favourite plants - Liatris
IMG_4527-X2.jpg

A giant Elephant Ear plant:
IMG_4538-X3.jpg

A perennial Hibiscus:
IMG_4254-X2.jpg

The back garden as it was just before the sunflower apocalypse:
IMG_4253-X2.jpg

I'm only interested in gardening when it's the first Saturday of May only.

Can somebody explain the state of modern tomatos? What are they supposed to taste like? Road side farm fresh boutique priced tomaters shouldn't taste like No Frills winter tomaters should they? Is it the engineering? I'm going to go back to the farm stand at my convenience and probe for answers. Thoughts in the meantime?

Can somebody explain the state of modern tomatos? What are they supposed to taste like? Road side farm fresh boutique priced tomaters shouldn't taste like No Frills winter tomaters should they? Is it the engineering? I'm going to go back to the farm stand at my convenience and probe for answers. Thoughts in the meantime?

You mean watery and tasteless? That's what I find with hothouse tomatoes and many others in the store. Imported Mexican tomatoes aren't too bad though.

For most major commercial producers, it comes down to economics. It's best to grow the tomatoes that: have the shortest time between planting and harvest; stay the freshest during transportation; have fewest blemishes on finished product; have greatest resistance to pests, disease and environmental stresses; consistently sell well and require the least inputs to grow and harvest.

To mass produce tomatoes, and meet these economic or growing criteria, it dramatically reduces the available species that will work. The same applies to all fruits and veggies really. And if the only species that will do this are genetically modified, then many farmers will go that route to ensure reliable harvests. Most types of common produce at the store will be largely tasteless.

If you are able to grow your own or buy from a local producer, then the time between harvest to table is much shorter, so that the crop can be picked when it is also closest to peak ripeness which in turn enhances flavour. Also there are so many varieties of all kinds of veggies, that growing heirloom or unique varieties is a great way to get different flavours. Last year my favourite tomatoes that I grew (out of 8 types) were called Green Goblin which looked really interesting with stripes and different colours and they tasted awesome! This year I'm doing 7 totally different varieties to see what they taste like - so far soooo good.

I also find that tomatoes that ripen on the vine are tastier. But not store bought vine-ripe tomatoes

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

Well then it appears these local yocal hee haw farmer types are on the profit centre band wagon just like the city slickers they feed. That vender did have a bit of a world weary air about hisself, certainly not from the lack of vitamin D. I thought it was from customers asking stupid questions, not guilt.

Back
Top Bottom