Your thoughts on minimum wage | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Your thoughts on minimum wage

In this economy, most people live pay cheque to pay cheque. Only the rich get richer and everyone else is left to survive and feed their greed.

In this economy, most people live pay cheque to pay cheque. Only the rich get richer and everyone else is left to survive and feed their greed.

Yep, the man is keeping everyone down.

In other news... immigrants come here with nothing, they work hard and they achieve great wealth. There are more six figure jobs (no eduaction, certification or trade required, but you may need to work some OT) in Alberta than people to fill them, but you have to work so it is a struggle to fill these jobs. Many people born here to poor families make good choices (right education, delayed purchase of toys, etc.) and like myself and many others achieve great wealth. So on and so on.

Damn the man for keeping us down.

I'm not as schooled as some of you when it comes to political movements and policies, but of course, I have an opinion. Although I consider myself intelligent, and many of my friends from school went on to medical and professional careers, I took the path of least resistance and now work in a warehouse. I was lazy, plain and simple. But I bust my butt to now work hard, pay down the mortgage, put away for retirement, invest, support my family and live in a nice neighborhood. No I did not come from the ghetto, but wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth either. There are single moms, some that I know, without support from baby-daddys/ exes, that work 2 jobs to support their kids. I alao know others that sit and collect social assistance. As far as I can tell, the only differences between the two is one is willing to work, not have a $100/ month cell phone plan, and watches every penny.

I'm not against government help, but I prefer it to be given to the ones that really need it. Heck, I have friends with twins that I think should have some assistance with daycare costs. $24k a year in my neighborhood for 1 year old twins. What do they do? Spend less, and work a little more. It is not always black amd white, but I do believe that we still live in a land of great opportunity. And if you're willing to do the work, you will be rewarded. As has been said, many immigrants come here, including my parents, and do pretty ok.

I also know of a fellow that came here, worked full time at a lube place to support his new wife and young child, got his IT education, new job, KEPT the old job, bought a house, rented the basement, paid it off IN FIVE YEARS, bought a second then a third. Still manages the lube place-- opens it in the morning, works a full day in IT, counts the till and locks up at night.

Now tell me more about this "man" keeping people down?

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

I also know of a fellow that came here, worked full time at a lube place to support his new wife and young child, got his IT education, new job, KEPT the old job, bought a house, rented the basement, paid it off IN FIVE YEARS, bought a second then a third. Still manages the lube place-- opens it in the morning, works a full day in IT, counts the till and locks up at night.

Dumb guy, why does he need a house for himself if he is never there? Furthermore, why does he need a wife if he never sees her -- or maybe she likes it that way. He should just set up a cot in the back room of the lube shop.

Dumb guy, why does he need a house for himself if he is never there? Furthermore, why does he need a wife if he never sees her -- or maybe she likes it that way. He should just set up a cot in the back room of the lube shop.

Just to clarify: Lube shop is 5 minute walk from his house. Approx 30 minute set up in morning on way to regular job, comes home, dinner family time. Goes back for approx 30 minutes after kids are in bed to close up. Owner trusts him and wanted to keep him. Yes, he does this 7 days a week, but is compensated by receiving an almost full-time salary.
Point I am making is that I am not willing to do that, but he is. Therefore his net worth is much greater than mine.
Similar idea: People complain they don't have enough time to ride. Yesterday, I had a choice: Get up early and ride before the kids wake up, or catch up on sleep. I chose the sleep. Now wouldn't it be silly if I complained that I didn't have time to ride?

One other thing. Going back to an earlier post about WalMart employees being paid just around poverty levels-- yes, that bothers me. But, we keep shopping there, right? I'm in a position of choosing to save money so my family can get ahead, at the expense of the workers. I am not a good enough person to take my dollars elsewhere. So I may be contributing to the poverty of that worker by shopping there. But I don't know enough about economics to know if I stopped shopping there, if it would make a difference.
And to the point of WalMart owners making obscene amounts of money while paying employees nothing. Yes, Sam Walton was greedy man. Money was his mistress. Rumour has it that on his death bed rather than spending time with family, he was negotiating deals to make even more money. Again, just my thoughts.

for those that think minimum wage is too high here, Australia's minimum wage is $18.70. That translates to about 18.30 here.
And oranges come from Florida.

Without context that means nothing. What's the cost of living relative to the min wage?

for those that think minimum wage is too high here, Australia's minimum wage is $18.70. That translates to about 18.30 here.

Same as in Norway. Apples and oranges. So many other things would need to change to make the higher minimum wage feasible.

And it works out to be roughly 1.19 in China, 1.09 in Russia, 0.09 in Bangladesh, and around 7.75 in the US (give or take by state).....

Back
Top Bottom