Yamaha MT10SP | GTAMotorcycle.com

Yamaha MT10SP

Blackfin

Site Supporter
Am seriously considering moving up to a Tuono Factory in the spring but the FZ10 has been lurking in the back of my mind as a potential alternate, especially in light of what I've read of Aprilia reliability online as well as the dearth of dealerships.

But now Yamaha has made the bike much more compelling to me with the MT10 "SP":

2017_YAM_MT10DX_EU_BWM2_STU_005_03.jpg

I've not heard if this is coming to Canada (where it would presumably be named the "FZ10 SP") but, damn, it's a sexy beastie. Ohlins electronics suspenders, TFT display, quickshifter and even that clear-coated swingarm (as opposed to black-painted on the standard FZ10). I've sat on the FZ and on the Tuono and have to say that the FZ feels much more "familiar" to me (guessing because I've got the FZ8 now and the ergos aren't that different...).

I'm having a hard time getting past the Tuono -- I feel like if I didn't go that path I'd regret it forever -- but now Yamaha has made the choice even harder by making the FZ that much closer...

First world problems eh?

Always liked Yamaha products and the FZ 10 a nice machine.

Canada is a funny market as it sometimes gets euro spec machines and sometimes it gets US offerings. So I'm not sure if the MT10 will make its way here or not.

IMO, throw caution to the wind and go with the Tuono. Be damned with internet reports of questionable reliability and limited dealer network/support.

It's a bike you can look at parked and stir your emotions. Not sure if the Yamaha would have the same effect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No real bragging rights with the Yamaha. Face it, everyone has an ego that gets stroked by marketing. It's a high end Japanese super naked, not an Italian exotic. Japanese styling isn't as nice in general and tends to age worse than Italian stuff (visually). Home of the Renaissance and all that. An old Ducati 996 still looks sexy. An old Gixxer? Meh, it has it's charm but no comparison. Good luck.

Last edited:
Japanese product. I keep a rotation of old bike mags running thru the out house and if there's one thing to be learned it's that Japanese product doesn't age well imho. Cycle World Sept. 08 shows a 14 bike SS shootout. By any measure they're all great bikes. Fast forward 8 years. what's the appeal of these bikes now? For character and uniqueness besides still being damn fine bikes, it's the European bikes hands down. Triumph Daytona 675, MV Agusta, Ape RSV1000R Factory, BMW HP2 Sort and KTM RC8, of the 14 these are the "interesting" bikes. If you're into that sort of thing. Interestingly, except for the Daytona 675, these bikes did not top the shoot out. I'd buy the Tuono Factory over Japanese product.

Form vs. Function
Reliability vs.

Buy what you like, most riders will stop riding in 3 years and or change bikes in 3 years.

If it were my money I'd buy the Yamaha every time, hands down. Yes, you can make the argument that the Aprilia has more "character", but in the end there is a lot to be said for ease of maintenance and the piece of mind that comes with Japanese reliability. Have a disagreement or falling out with your Aprilia dealership or service department and then where do you go? Not many shops specializing in servicing exotic bikes. Have a disagreement or falling out with your Yamaha shop and you still have LOTS of options. As far as the whole "how will the bike compare 8 years from now?" thing, who cares? A bike that was a rocket ship 8 years ago is still a rocket ship today. There may be faster ones but it doesn't make it any less fast. Yes, the more exotic bikes may be more "desirable" 8 years down the road compared to their Japanese counterparts, but how many times has that "desirable" bike needed service or broken down?

By all accounts and reviews by professional riders around the world, the MT-10 or FZ-10 is literally one of the most if not the most bad-a** road bikes on the planet. It is literally a comfortable R1! How does it get any better than that?

I want to like the MT10, I really do. But in person it's a hard bike to look at. Way too much going on there. I wouldn't trade my 2014 Tuono straight up for a new MT10 if that tells you anything.

The worst part of owning a V4 Tuono is I don't know what bike I could replace it with. More power then anyone needs, great electronics package, comfortable yet still very sporty and the SOUND!!! The sound keeps me from looking at other bikes on it's own.

If it were my money I'd buy the Yamaha every time, hands down. Yes, you can make the argument that the Aprilia has more "character", but in the end there is a lot to be said for ease of maintenance and the piece of mind that comes with Japanese reliability. Have a disagreement or falling out with your Aprilia dealership or service department and then where do you go? Not many shops specializing in servicing exotic bikes. Have a disagreement or falling out with your Yamaha shop and you still have LOTS of options. As far as the whole "how will the bike compare 8 years from now?" thing, who cares? A bike that was a rocket ship 8 years ago is still a rocket ship today. There may be faster ones but it doesn't make it any less fast. Yes, the more exotic bikes may be more "desirable" 8 years down the road compared to their Japanese counterparts, but how many times has that "desirable" bike needed service or broken down?

By all accounts and reviews by professional riders around the world, the MT-10 or FZ-10 is literally one of the most if not the most bad-a** road bikes on the planet. It is literally a comfortable R1! How does it get any better than that?

I agree fully. My post was just a humble opinion. Whether aging like milk or wine is just one consideration.

Paging Shaman...paging Shaman.

IIRC, Yamaha has had it's share of recalls lately (most notably the R1), so the old cry of Japanese Reliability (TM) is not as true as it once was. Aprilia is not MV Augusta either.

Just one man's opinion, but I know where concerns over practicality and reliability lead: THE LAND OF MAXI SCOOTERS.

Blackfin, you deserve a sexy beast that others will envy years from now. Pick the Yamaha and people are gonna shrug: "Oh, those ratty bikes that squids crash? I didn't realize those ugly body panels were OEM. Always thought they were aftermarket junk. And what's that colour? Blurple? Bleh."

You know what you have to do! Ciao bello!

PS: That Honda looks chubby, not cool and has a silly name. Fireblade? What are you people, Larpers?

Last edited:
It isn't that difficult, for me its about the ratio between bike specs, feel and price

Things I look at are:
HP, Torque, Suspension components, Braking components, electronic Aids as well but not that important to me
Seat height, Look of the bike and How I feel when I sit on it.

If all or most of those things are a yes on my books, then I start looking at price between comparable models and start talking to Dealers etc, if the price is out of reason then I move to choice B.

I don't care if it is an Aprilia, a Yamaha or whatever, I currently own a Kawi, a GSXR and 2 Yamahas.

Form vs. Function
Reliability vs.

Buy what you like, most riders will stop riding in 3 years and or change bikes in 3 years.

Function? They hung a heat exchanger and primary pipes where the skid plate normally goes. Probably just as well, with the oddball wheel sizes, this beast will surely be a handful on gravel roads. Me thinks Yami should clearly delineate it's departments. Music equipment, forks, bikes and who knows what else does not a happy stew make.

Tuono Factory all day long

because character

I really dislike the big-*** aprilia slapped on the sides of the bikes. That said, I agree that that FZ10 is even less likely to age well than the average Japanese bike.

Would come down to price for me. I'm too old and too married to peacock.

YMMV.

My FZ is getting on for 6 years old now and has been absolutely reliable for over 40,000 KMs. Not a single failure, not even a lightbulb.

The stuff I read on the Aprilia forums about the Tuono -- valve guide issues, stator failures, coolant leaks, a master cylinder recall, fading/failing instrument displays to name some -- spooks me. I don't know if these apply to certain model years (e.g. did any of this stuff affect MY15-16 bikes?) Then again, the R1 had that awful gearbox recall so who's to say?

Pulling up to a light on the Ape would be the equivalent of having a Ferrari cage -- exotic Italian etc -- and would be sure to garner more oos and aahs from motorcycling-appreciating onlookers than the GT-R-esque FZ10. I can't deny that's worth something. But I'm trying to resist getting sucked into that "sexiness" trap and ending up with a bike that spends more time at the one dealership in the area waiting weeks or months for parts. :(

Paging Shaman...paging Shaman.

lol

Since he doesn't seem to be around, 30000+km on my '13 RSV4 and one failure. The Mikuni manufactured exhaust valve actuator; Japanese reliability.

I've never ridden the yamaha but I think it looks great. I borrowed a tuono factory for a couple days this summer from Corsa. It's a fantastic bike, sounds incredible, more power than I will ever need though and it drinks gas like a z06 lol. The only things I didn't like we're the digital gauge but that changes with new model, and the angle of the handlebar would make my right wrist go numb. I don't have problems with my wrist on my monster.

If money is no object then get the tuono you won't be disappointed. You can't always base things on forums because most people post on there to solve issues with their bikes. There aren't people always posting about how great/reliable their bikes are.
I think I will be getting the 2017 model tuono factory. Nothing wrong with the yami either. I wouldn't be able to ride either bike at 60% of its capability anyway.
In the end it's an emotional decision for you that none of us can make.
Do you buy a z/28 or a gt350? At that point it's a passionate emotional choice.

Back
Top Bottom