Why your next bike might be electric... | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Why your next bike might be electric...

I havent watched the doc yet but do they go into the question of what will happen to all the batteries once they are dead? I foresee disposal being a huge issue. Nevermind the price of a replacement battery system when it craps out.

All that concern is typically at 2-3X the distance travelled on a ICE vehicle.

As for batteries, they are recycled, like current lead-acids in all cars.

Just done a google on these as I have never heard of them before and it seems that Oakville Yamaha are the nearest GTA Dealer. I may well have a look next time I'm in the area.

I've seen two on the road, talked to one owner. He loved it. Noted that the lack of noise made no difference in traffic.

Peanuts. Actually I believe it around $200 a year. They asked me what the equivalent was in cc and I said it was like a 150. I think I'm paying less than I do for the wife's CBR250.

Sadly, they don't make the XU model anymore. The FX has replaced it. Specs are similar... but not quite.

My 2012 XU has a 3kWh battery, whereas the 2013 XU / 2014 FX come with either a 2.8 or 5.7. So the range with the base model is not as good as mine.

$200 insurance is great, but I just checked the Canadian web site. The FX with 5.7 & a quick charger is going to run $13,200 + delivery, PDI & tax, which is twice what you would pay for a comparable ICE commuter bike. Electric may be coming, but I'm happy to wait until they are competitive.

I havent watched the doc yet but do they go into the question of what will happen to all the batteries once they are dead? I foresee disposal being a huge issue. Nevermind the price of a replacement battery system when it craps out.

These batteries have lifespan in 6-8 years for 80% power maintenance and they do a trade in on cars. Bikes will be similar.
The company just replaces the weak cells. The outer infrastructure is permanent.

$200 insurance is great, but I just checked the Canadian web site. The FX with 5.7 & a quick charger is going to run $13,200 + delivery, PDI & tax, which is twice what you would pay for a comparable ICE commuter bike. Electric may be coming, but I'm happy to wait until they are competitive.

Zero is a tiny company, as is Brammo, honestly, their business plan is not to get rich selling bikes, but get bought out for the technology.

It's still a big secret exactly who designed the LiveWire, but it has nothing to do with Harley, there isn't a single Harley production part on the bike. I'm guessing Mission Electric. The Yamaha PES bikes are looking like 125-like bikes for Asia.

Last edited:

Agreed, price is pretty steep. I paid $5300 all-in for my XU. Would not have paid list price, waited for a sale.

Was purchased at Oakville Yamaha. They still sell the current models.

Back
Top Bottom