Who's still riding? (Fall & Winter 2018 Edition) | Page 30 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who's still riding? (Fall & Winter 2018 Edition)

C'mon...out fer a rip...couple o beers...eh!
Oh, never thought of that.

Should have rode yesterday! today :sad5: not a chance,
heavy warm day of rain yesterday followed by 2 inches of powder snow last night,
made a mess of the lake and the woods, very sad.

an internet site posts stats for sled through ice incidents , we run an office pool on sleds through the ice based on geo location and time of year. Rice lake never disappoints.

I made it out for a short loop. Grab a few last minute Christmas items.
cant wait for spring. October is not a good month to buy a new bike yet it always seems the way I do it.

Forecast for next Friday is for 8 degrees at this point.

Here's hoping that holds...and the roads are in decent shape.

If not for errands, this past Saturday was glorious midtown. Nice blacktop, not much ice/salt residue from the rains..
Packed mine up for the winter though, not too trusting on the super old Dunlop tires.

Between the Michelin Pilot Road 5 and Dunlop RoadSmart 3, would one be more suitable for colder weather riding than the other?
Doubt I get close to the limit in the dry, so with an eye on extending the riding season into the colder months, what tire would you put money towards?

Take your pick, both are good. It's unwise to be pushing the limits of traction at this time of year ... there is no tire that provides good traction on pavement dusted with sand. Sport-touring tires are a better choice than DOT race tires, some of which go so hard in the cold that the rubber will actually break.

I have been completely stunned at how well my conti trail attack 2’s stick in the cold and wet.
i have to admit I’ve never considered riding my HD in a this weather but the ktm adv works unbelievably well.

Radial tires :thumbup: makes a huge difference.

No sure what it is but I have noticed my Tourance Next to be as great in cold as the actual winter rated Anlas winter tires I used last winter. I know they are dual compound, perhaps high silicon content?

..Tom

Radial tires :thumbup: makes a huge difference.

I doubt that's the main factor. I'm sure it's advances in tire compounds.

..Tom

I doubt that's the main factor. I'm sure it's advances in tire compounds.
..Tom
Then you would be underestimating the advantages of radial tire performance.

Then you would be underestimating the advantages of radial tire performance.

Yes I am very aware of the benefits of Radial tires and and enough to remember when they became commonly available cars.

Consider this: there are tons of radial sport tires (for both cars and bikes) that lose tons of traction when the tire temperature drops below a certain point and tons of radial winter tires that still have tons of traction in cold.

Is the difference that they are radials?

..Tom

-10 here and the local road is covered in ice and snow, secondary roads in salt, so no I'm not riding.

I was in Toronto last week and was surprised at the mild Spring like weather there.

Try to get that 30 K in by the end of the year..to mark 50K!

Just went out for a short ride and hit the 50,000 km of mileage for 2018. Still more riding to do but I have about 1,700 km to get to 160,000 km total mileage on the bike. I don't see me getting that mileage in 2018.

..Tom

Motorcycle radials provide better traction than bias ply tires because they flex to conform to the road surface better, that provides a larger footprint. Performance of the rubber formulation and tread design is independent of that fact.

Forecasted temperature is still awesome for Friday. Unfortunately, it comes with rain. :/

Oh well. I got my wife some new hard bags for her bike for Christmas so perhaps I'll spend the day installing those instead.

I heard the long term outlook for the rest of the winter is "much the same" as what we've been getting (aside from some cooler temps in Jan and Feb) which in the grand scheme of things has been pretty tame so far. Expected warmup in March as well with an early spring.

Then again, this is from the same people who said we were in for a brutal winter, which to date, has been anything but.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom