Who's still riding? (Fall 2017 / Winter 2018 edition) | Page 37 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who's still riding? (Fall 2017 / Winter 2018 edition)

Saw the trucks pointlessly dumping tons of salt on the roads this morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You fail to see the point that rain turns into ice when it drops below freezing, which is fine by me considering we are still in winter lol

Fresh brine on the roads here last night/this morning, but didn't see any salt in the neighbourhoods/main streets anyways, it stayed just warm enough.

Not far too the north though, sheets of ice. 35/115 was closed in one direction for a few hours at one point today because of it.

The weekend looks like it has a few opportunities for riding. I'll probably go out tomorrow (5 degrees and sunny, light winds) in case Sunday (9 degrees, but breezy, and chance of showers) doesn't pan out.

SO looking forward to backing the scoot out of the garage and gearing up. Haven't ridden since late October after my shoulder surgery.

Whispers starting about a possible "significant impact" winter storm next Friday/Saturday.

It ain't over yet.....

Whispers starting about a possible "significant impact" winter storm next Friday/Saturday.

It ain't over yet.....
Oh sweet. I'm heading from Barrie to North Bay and back on Saturday to pick up a new bike for a friend. Should be a good trip.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

It ain't over yet.....

a lot of rain next thursday/fri

That just means there wont be any salt afterwards

I went for a ride monday in the rain, I couldn't help it. I'll probably ride this monday and tuesday too, sunny and double digits.

Sounds like there’s a round of freezing rain coming again tonight. Decent chance the roads will be salted again by the AM, so I guess today is the day for me at least.

Just rode into the office, new cold weather gloves worked well. After 30 minute commute the finger tips were still 'cold', but not to the point where i would feel it inside the glove (if that makes sense). If i were doing a tour/long trip around this time id invest in some heated gear, but for commuting/short jaunts this seems adequate.

Happy with the results over the summer gloves for sure.

fyi i hear tomorrow will have gusts of 60km/hr

Just rode into the office, new cold weather gloves worked well. After 30 minute commute the finger tips were still 'cold', but not to the point where i would feel it inside the glove (if that makes sense). If i were doing a tour/long trip around this time id invest in some heated gear, but for commuting/short jaunts this seems adequate.

Happy with the results over the summer gloves for sure.

Better check your chain bro, every time iv ridden in the winter (200km on bike now) put lube and clean bike after, still
Found a bit of rust building up on it.... spend the weekend cleaning and relubing chain/front sprocket

It might also be possible the bike came like that but who knows

Don’t believe all that “it won’t melt with a little salt on it” ********

Last edited:
This is AFTER cleaning it
ac0037c7f86cc2cd8982532f3be15cfe.jpg
03021367a4cdfc8c57728dab20d3894f.jpg

Last edited:

Yeah, that's why I'm aiming for today still...just waiting for the forecasted sunny conditions to show up - starting to wonder if that's going to happen, looking at the satellite imagery.

It won't. Any rust on your chain is gonna be surface rust easily taken care of with either a little pre or post ride maintenance, and a bit of surface rust isn't going to instantly result in chain failure so long as it's been maintained correctly.

And ultimately, chains are wear/replacement items anyways.

Better check your chain bro, every time iv ridden in the winter (200km on bike now) put lube and clean bike after, still
Found a bit of rust building up on it.... spend the weekend cleaning and relubing chain/front sprocket

It might also be possible the bike came like that but who knows

I won't ride my stuff when there is still salt out there so I'm with you but dude the pics of the chain you posted....ride the bike for about 3 minutes and that tiny amount of surface rust will come off.

but dude the pics of the chain you posted....ride the bike for about 3 minutes and that tiny amount of surface rust will come off.

My thoughts exactly. Your chain probably gets just as rusty riding in the rain in the summer, assuming you're not someone who never rides in the rain.

Yeah, I guess I might have overreacted, but on a new 2017 model with 200km that I put on, you don’t expect it

The rust is transfer from the sprocket - salt is not going to hurt your bike but you can sit home and miss riding while hanging on tight to your mythical belief. :rolleyes:

Ride,lube and repeat.Surface rust is not a problem.The bike in this pic has 167km on it.
P2240023_zpsqbijuzww.jpg

Back
Top Bottom