Who's still riding? (Fall 2017 / Winter 2018 edition) | Page 26 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who's still riding? (Fall 2017 / Winter 2018 edition)

We went from a snowfall advisory to a warning (they were calling for 15-20cm at that point) around 8PM. Went to bed around midnight and it was coming down hot and heavy...then got up this morning, got email of snowfall alert cancellation that arrived at around 12:30AM, and ended up with maybe 5cm at best.

Guess the wind changed directions.

Managed a Christmas Day ride today :)
38eb0eed8e80d60971952edbeae63e8b.jpg

meh 3 wheels

Needs 3 runners .....damn it's cold

Mon Overnight
Mainly clear

Mainly clear-13°C
Feels like -23
Tue Morning
Mainly sunny

Mainly sunny-13°C
Feels like -24

My bedroom is over the garage ....got the electric blanket turned up and the bay window isn't helping ...need a hoodie to keep my head warm.

Saw a guy riding along Dundas and Hurontario today around 5:30pm....Black FZ6R (?) looked like....same guy was riding Dundas and Wolfedale on Christmas Eve before the snow hit....kudos to you dude....slush....ice....snow...my nut isn't large enough to try this weather.

Last edited:
-21 here already. Brrrr..

A few clouds
-22°C
FEELS LIKE -30
just now in Sauga ...notched up the electric blanket. New to me electric snowblower is all the two wheel fun I'm having :(
Actually needed my heated insoles to do the driveway.:rolleyes:

urk

Mainly clear-22°C
Feels like -31

http://digg.com/2017/freezing-bubbles

Tom you'll need to fly the bike to BC for some above freezxing riding weather

Not many spots in Canada rideable even for the hardy ..

wocanmap0_e.jpg

right now

-21°C
Feels like -28 have not heard snow squeak like that since I was a kid.

Last edited:
Calling for -28 before windchill on Friday. I think that will certainly be the coldest I'v experienced.

Fort Erie where I grew up showed -31 in 1979 but I was not there then.

Hamilton broke a 134-year-old cold temperature record on Tuesday morning, set way back in 1881.

Tuesday’s low was –24.8 C, set around 1 a.m. at the Hamilton airport.

Sir John A Macdonald
Hamilton broke a cold record set in 1881 when Canada's Prime Minister was Sir John A. Macdonald. It's also the same year Picasso was born and Billy the Kid was shot. (Library and Archives Canada)

The previous record was –23.3 C, which was set at a lower city weather station, said Peter Kimbell, a meteorologist with Environment Canada.

The coldest temperature recorded at Toronto Pearson International Airport was −31.3 °C (−24.3 °F) on January 4, 1981

I would have been in the region then ....so -28 will certainly nudge my extreme.

I spent a lot of time as a kid in the north so temps in the -30's and below are not foreign to me, but it's unusual to see them down this far near the lakes.

Looks like tomorrow and tomorrow and Friday nights we may nudge towards -30 here. Nice little warmup for Sunday/Monday though, thankfully - we have a horse show Sunday and I wasn't looking forward to doing it in frigid temps like the last one.

I saw a guy riding a dual sport on Wednesday....... BRAVE MF if you ask me

Sheesh, -18C now with a windchill of -27C in the big smoke? My car's rear view mirror was partially covered in *frost*. The LCD parts of the instrument panel flickered. Clutch and stick were stiff too. Almost warmed up by the time I pulled into work.

Low of -25C tonight pushed down to -36C with the windchill. Yikes. Most non-winter tires must be hockey pucks at this point. Stay warm and non-crashed, GTAM.

The temperature in Port Perry this morning was -27°c/-17°f before Wind Chill and very windy. I draw the line somewhere around -18°c/0°f temperature wise as that is about as cold as my gear keeps me warm without adding too much bulk. The real no-ride factor is the possibility of snow streamers or ice and snow on the roads which there has been plenty of over here.

I think the brine that is on the local roads has all frozen. Although the roads were mainly dry looking this morning I cold spin the (snow) tires on my GTI in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th even at 1,500 to 2,000 rpm. A car in front of me almost spun out at the left turn from Goodwood Rd onto 47 but managed catch it in the extra lane on the right (and then proceeded to tailgate the car in front of her. Doh.)

..Tom

On the plus side, jan is the coldest month, after which things only improve, albeit slowly

Back
Top Bottom