Who's still riding? (Fall 2016 / Winter 2017 edition) | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who's still riding? (Fall 2016 / Winter 2017 edition)

Shoveled my driveway out this morning, so no bike, although I did see one yesterday in the snowstorm here. Still some bicycles out. As far as salt goes, unless I was going to ride a bike into the ground, I wouldn't ride it. Won't buy one that has been salted knowingly, either.

I actually left home this morning on my bike to head to work. My driveway was icy but I thought my side-street would be okay so I pressed on. My side-street was icy but I thought 7a would be okay. I get to 7a and it is icy as well. I figured maybe it was just the area near my home. Rode a few minutes and said this is crazy so went back home to get the car. Unfortunately had to go to the shed to get my snow brush/scraper as the car was covered with snow and ice.

Of course 5 minutes away from home the roads were fine and it was a beautiful morning.

Ah well tomorrow looks nice!

..Tom

Good to see a number of others that still plan to ride - I will be doing my 1-2x a week commute to work + weekend rides as I have been all summer until the salt starts. Also plan to ride the trails at least a few more times before they close up. I'll street ride in winter as well if there's days where salt gets washed off the roads and the water dries up. No fun in it for me to wreck the bike in salty / slushy / wet winter conditions.

Feels warmer than it is right now in the city. Gonna go for a 45-60 min loop as soon as I'm done with work.

Took my bike to work today, beautiful fall day out there, just need to bundle up more. I never put my bike away, just plug it in and unplug it when I feel the weather is nice enough to ride. Be it October or January.

Layer of frost covered my seat and top box this morning, but the show must roll on! The main roads were pretty good, side streets damp. Was cautious but the Burg is always curiously composed. I think the only time it ever wiggled was accelerating from a stop on sandy asphalt and sudden braking at an intersection where you could see the frost glittering on the road.

^ Curiously this is a well composed cool feel good story bro.

Commuted 4 days this week on the bike (not yesterday). It goes away December 24, although last winter there were a few days after that I would have liked to ride. Before that, I ride every day I can, but not if its wet and close to freezing. Dry and around freezing is ok in the am if it warms up some in the afternoon.

Layer of frost covered my seat and top box this morning, but the show must roll on! The main roads were pretty good, side streets damp. Was cautious but the Burg is always curiously composed. I think the only time it ever wiggled was accelerating from a stop on sandy asphalt and sudden braking at an intersection where you could see the frost glittering on the road.

So, basically, you're riding an iceburg? :p

Titanic humour effort, lettuce rejoice.

I'll be out till the bitter end. Heated jacket is big help.

Looking good from Tuesday on for a US run ....

realllllly good!!!!

November trend:

The next system tracks into northern Ontario on Halloween. A strong southwest flow ahead of that system Monday night and Tuesday will bring temperatures back to the upper teens and lower 20s in southern Ontario for the first day of November on Tuesday.

"Most of Canada will be mild during the first week of November and the Great Lakes should have several days of milder weather next week, which could then spread east into Atlantic Canada," says Weather Network meteorologist Dr. Doug Gillham. "However, expect a significant pattern change to develop during mid-November (and persist into December) that will likely feature the dominate trough position near the Great Lakes with below seasonal temperatures expected to become more widespread and dominant for the second half of November."

I was thinking about trying to get out for a little scoot for a few hours this afternoon but despite being warm it's also supposed to get really windy. And now tomorrow is looking like a writeoff, rain and crap for the most part, a bit of sun in the afternoon perhaps but cool.

The week looks great...while I'm stuck at work. And cool again by next weekend...but at least sunny perhaps if you trust the forecast a week out.

I guess I'd best at least get my wifes bike ready to go to sleep this weekend as I don't see her riding much more if any...unless we get a weekend with sun, calm winds, and at least 15 degrees or so. I'm not holding my breath.

Back
Top Bottom