Who has the best BMW service department? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who has the best BMW service department?

What's your objection to the tire pressure monitor? Purely cost, or are there functional negatives to it?

I wouldn't say my TPM is fantastic, but it is a handy data point and I'm glad I have it. I admit though I ride K1300S, not an enduro with potential tire adventures.

My biggest issue is that the sensors on the rim can be damaged or accidentally removed if a non-BMW tech is changing out the tires. The way I look at it is that it's a nice thing to have, but it's really something I don't need that can go wrong. I'm used to checking my tire pressure on a pretty regular basis and don't mind continuing to do so.

I wish I could pay the $150 for the chrome exhaust upgrade as I would if I bought the standard GS, but with the GSA I have to get the comfort package (with completely irrelevant naming) for $370 which comes with the TPM as well.

I'm also slightly bitter that BMW raised the GSA price with the options I want $570 from 2014... which is just ridiculous. :D

I'm used to checking my tire pressure on a pretty regular basis and don't mind continuing to do so.

TPMS came in handy for me on my bike once upon a time, when unknowingly it developed a slow leak while I was riding, and it informed me my rear tire pressure was dropping......

Have you checked the value of the $CDN recently?

My biggest issue is that the sensors on the rim can be damaged or accidentally removed if a non-BMW tech is changing out the tires. The way I look at it is that it's a nice thing to have, but it's really something I don't need that can go wrong. I'm used to checking my tire pressure on a pretty regular basis and don't..
I'm also slightly bitter that BMW raised the GSA price with the options I want $570 from 2014... which is just ridiculous. :D

Last edited:
TPMS came in handy for me on my bike once upon a time, when unknowingly it developed a slow leak while I was riding, and it informed me my rear tire pressure was dropping......

How long do they last for? I heard they eventually malfunction and need replacing.

Have you checked the value of the $CDN recently?

It still doesn't explain the fact they're now charging extra for the same paint colours that were free in 2014 (which is also the case in the US).

The price increase for the base model went up $150 on a $20k+ bike which I get. I don't get how an optional package worth $2100 went up $200 dollars. It doesn't add up.

I have a set of sensors that are over 4 years old, still going strong. Maybe not the best choice for sportbike accessories, but for anyone doing any sort of mileage away from home with no other vehicle, they are a good idea. At least in my twisted opinion.

If the $350 plus paint changes on the +$20k bike is stopping you from purchasing, just go in and see the dealer, I'm sure they will make it right. If you are ready to buy, they are ready to deal. Any of the local dealers,especially at this time of year.

I have a set of sensors that are over 4 years old, still going strong. Maybe not the best choice for sportbike accessories, but for anyone doing any sort of mileage away from home with no other vehicle, they are a good idea. At least in my twisted opinion.

If the $350 plus paint changes on the +$20k bike is stopping you from purchasing, just go in and see the dealer, I'm sure they will make it right. If you are ready to buy, they are ready to deal. Any of the local dealers,especially at this time of year.

Appreciate it, you make a good point about the TPMS. We did buy the bike for the main purpose of travelling with my wife.

I'm already fully committed to the bike and put down my deposit last weekend. I got a nice discount off of list which helped offset the total $570 increase from last year (including the MSRP increase, paint colour charge, and increase to options).

I ordered every option except the gear shift assist (which I'm confident I don't want), and last minute took off the comfort package which includes the chrome exhaust and TPMS. I have just under two weeks to make any changes to my order regarding options, as it will be placed the first week of january for a febraury build.

I'm starting to lean towards adding the comfort package.

Last edited:
Unless you've already ridden with the gear shift assist and know how it works, I would say it's a mistake NOT to order it. They include down shifting too with the 2015's I think? And even if you don't think it's that great, your resale value could really take a dive without it. Just my thoughts after having 4 bikes with that option (sorry no GS).

Unless you've already ridden with the gear shift assist and know how it works, I would say it's a mistake NOT to order it. They include down shifting too with the 2015's I think? And even if you don't think it's that great, your resale value could really take a dive without it. Just my thoughts after having 4 bikes with that option (sorry no GS).

I demo rode it with shift assist and did not care for it at all. It won't affect resale, I'm not worried about that - It's still a fully loaded GSA (minus that one feature).

Yes it does both down and up shifts, but takes the bike closer to an automatic which is sacrilegious on a motorcycle if you ask me. Reminds me of the DSG system on the VW GTI I was looking into.

I found the computer controlled rev matching felt very weird and unnatural on a bike. I love using the clutch, and shifting old school manual and always will. I get shift assist on a sport bike liek the S1000RR when it's all about the fastest acceleration possible, but on an adventure touring bike? No thanks.

Last edited:
OK, that makes sense. I've only spent about 600 km on a WCGS, and although it had the shift assist I spent most of my spare time messing with the cruise and the dash display, so you're probably right.

Looking at buying a new BMW, but I've heard some nightmares from US owners who've had horrible experiences with authorized dealers ruining their bike when it's been in for servicing, and BMW NA not supporting the customer.

Is there a BMW dealership in the GTA that's best reviewed? Or even any to stay away from? The closest dealer to me is Serpa BMW.Thanks.

Getting this thread back on topic.

I had originally serviced the bike under warranty at Serpa and the service was ok.
But now that they are closed I have taken the bike to Endras and the service was excellent.
I only hope that people who are giving yay/nay views on the various dealers are actual BMW
owners with relevant experience.

There's no doubt you will get better service (or at least the best chance) when you return to the dealer where you bought the bike. Regular service to warranty requirements is one thing, diagnosing issues and rectifying them appears to require a higher level of knowledge and experience. I guess what I'm trying to say is that all the dealers can muddle through the regular service requirements without scratching up the bike too much, but if you have some unusual problem they are quite challenged. Of the existing dealers I would say Budd's is the most competent. We will have to see who appears at Maranello before we know what to think about them.

And yes, I own a BMW and have been to all of the local dealers.

Last edited:
There's no doubt you will get better service (or at least the best chance) when you return to the dealer where you bought the bike.

I dont think it matters in the least... not in my case anyways. Couldnt stand my selling dealer for service, ended up going to Budds instead and John always always looked after me regardless of where I bought the bike. A quick scan of bikes waiting to be serviced showed plate frames from other dealerships. Quite funny!

Its more important to build up a relationship with the service dept that will get you somewhere.

I was referred to a stand-alone shop in Aurora (close to where I live) who will service BMW bikes. It's not a BMW authorized shop, but it is going to be run by the master tech from Serpa BMW (I believe it was)... so the guy knows his stuff. Or at least should in theory. ;)

I have his business card with me somewhere. I'm looking forward to having any non warranty related servicing for my GSA done there if I need/want to take it in to a shop... I'm sure his costs will be less than at BMW and he's super close which is great.

Last edited:
I would be interested to hear who/where this is as I'm just south of you and have bikes out of warranty. Do tell.

I would be interested to hear who/where this is as I'm just south of you and have bikes out of warranty. Do tell.

Just found the business card. It's Ronn at The Motorrad Shop. the motorrad shop (at) bellnet . ca

Not sure if he's operational as of yet, but let me know any details you come across and I'll do the same.

I found the address, 24 Allaura Blvd. Unit 4 905 713 2651. Ronn is an excellent tech, very good at diagnosis as well as repair. There is some activity on Facebook, Andrew Charters gave him the big thumbs up. I'll have to stop in and say hi.

Last edited:
I found the address, 24 Allaura Blvd. Unit 4 905 713 2651. Ronn is an excellent tech, very good at diagnosis as well as repair. There is some activity on Facebook, Andrew Charters gave him the big thumbs up. I'll have to stop in and say hi.

Great. His shop is a 3 minute drive from my place which is awesome.

Back
Top Bottom