Which car. Any car enthusiasts here? | Page 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Which car. Any car enthusiasts here?

Also I'm not sure if this is the normal for these cars, but the mpg gauge is a bit weird. For some reason wen im coming to a stop, the needle says goes to the very end like getting horrible mpg than once I completly stops it goes to the good side lol.

You're burning gas while standing still....the worst type of mileage!

No, like wen I'm off the gas and on the brake braking to stop the mpg goes to the end than once i stop completly its at the infinity reading.

No, like wen I'm off the gas and on the brake braking to stop the mpg goes to the end than once i stop completly its at the infinity reading.
Because your MPG is absolute garbage when you're sitting still. Kinda hard to calculate since you can't divide by zero but your average is constantly climbing while you're stopped unless you shut off the engine.

Lol, no not even sitting still, like wen im "almost sitting still" coming to a stop and braking as the car is slowing down, the MPG is horrible(10mpg), and then once im sitting still, its at the 50mpg reading

Good tdi's ended with the mkiv. It will be interesting to see what the new version is like

My 2006 Jetta Mk5 was the best car I ever owned. Sold it at 430,000 km needing a clutch and a leaking EGR cooler fixed, and a broken front spring. Sold it to another VW enthusiast who could fix the car in his garage, he did so, and it's still on the road.

A lot of the P-D TDI engines of the same generation as that one have camshaft and lifter issues. But ... Not one drop of anything other than diesel rated 5w40 synthetic oil ever went into the crankcase of mine, and I never had any issues with it - and the next owner reports that the camshaft looked pretty much like new.

My gf's dad 05 passat TDI is really growing on me. While the car seems to be ticking time bomb with the high pressure fuel pump/transmission/oil pump it has been reliable up to 300k. I did the gear oil pump mod for him. The original allen driveshaft was very damaged, so we dodged a imminent failure. I love how it pulls at low rpms.

That model is P-D, not common-rail, and doesn't have a HPFP. The biggest issue with those is the one you already fixed ... the balance shaft module. The stock one is a chain drive and is not up to the task. The updated one is gear drive and the problem will not happen again. Only the 2.0 TDI has balance shafts; the 1.9 in Golf/Jetta/New Beetle doesn't have them. See above comment regarding the recommended use of diesel rated 5w40 synthetic oil.

Woo glad to see this thread still going LOL. :D

Well, I guess I'll share what car I ended up going with... 2009 328i xDrive!

First ever German car experience. Car is great. Not a huge fan of the throttle wen your at a complete stop, you gotta mash the gas quite a bit for it to start rolling. Other than that, the car is pretty solid, lets hope I didnt buy a lemon *fingers crossed*

Also I'm not sure if this is the normal for these cars, but the mpg gauge is a bit weird. For some reason wen im coming to a stop, the needle says goes to the very end like getting horrible mpg than once I completly stops it goes to the good side lol.

German vehicles that I've driven (and ridden) all have slightly soft initial throttle response ... and I suspect it's intentional, to make parking lot maneuvering and Alps-hairpin-negotiating easier. Contrast that with a good many American and Japanese cars that have aggressive throttle tip-in to make the car feel faster ... but then it's hard to start off from a stop on snow or gravel without spinning the wheels - and what you've got after 25% accelerator pedal is pretty much all there is. There is method behind their madness. Maneuver the car at low speed in heavy traffic or on slippery roads and the softer response makes sense. If you press the accelerator pedal like you mean it, she'll go ...

Fuel economy gauges all act wierd at or near a stop, it's not just yours. If it's set to "consumption" (liters per 100 km) it will show zero while coasting to a stop (still moving), that's because the fuel is shut off to the engine while coasting. But then when you actually stop, it goes to infinite liters per 100 km because you are using fuel (slowly) but not covering any distance.

I think your 2009 328i still has the naturally-aspirated 6 cylinder ... never owned one with that engine but I've been in cars that have it, and it is nice, very smooth.

German vehicles that I've driven (and ridden) all have slightly soft initial throttle response ... and I suspect it's intentional, to make parking lot maneuvering and Alps-hairpin-negotiating easier. Contrast that with a good many American and Japanese cars that have aggressive throttle tip-in to make the car feel faster ... but then it's hard to start off from a stop on snow or gravel without spinning the wheels - and what you've got after 25% accelerator pedal is pretty much all there is. There is method behind their madness. Maneuver the car at low speed in heavy traffic or on slippery roads and the softer response makes sense. If you press the accelerator pedal like you mean it, she'll go ...

Fuel economy gauges all act wierd at or near a stop, it's not just yours. If it's set to "consumption" (liters per 100 km) it will show zero while coasting to a stop (still moving), that's because the fuel is shut off to the engine while coasting. But then when you actually stop, it goes to infinite liters per 100 km because you are using fuel (slowly) but not covering any distance.

I think your 2009 328i still has the naturally-aspirated 6 cylinder ... never owned one with that engine but I've been in cars that have it, and it is nice, very smooth.

hmm that explains a lot.

And yah this is the i6 3.0lt N/A

Actually the issue with your gas pedal is the fact it's drive by wire. There is a delay in the electrical signal. Many programmers can change this the simplest being the "Sprintbooster"

Actually the issue with your gas pedal is the fact it's drive by wire. There is a delay in the electrical signal. Many programmers can change this the simplest being the "Sprintbooster"

Sweet, Gotta look into this. Iv also heard of other ones too, but essentially they all do the same thing?

My 2006 Jetta Mk5 was the best car I ever owned. Sold it at 430,000 km needing a clutch and a leaking EGR cooler fixed, and a broken front spring. Sold it to another VW enthusiast who could fix the car in his garage, he did so, and it's still on the road.

A lot of the P-D TDI engines of the same generation as that one have camshaft and lifter issues. But ... Not one drop of anything other than diesel rated 5w40 synthetic oil ever went into the crankcase of mine, and I never had any issues with it - and the next owner reports that the camshaft looked pretty much like new.

That model is P-D, not common-rail, and doesn't have a HPFP. The biggest issue with those is the one you already fixed ... the balance shaft module. The stock one is a chain drive and is not up to the task. The updated one is gear drive and the problem will not happen again. Only the 2.0 TDI has balance shafts; the 1.9 in Golf/Jetta/New Beetle doesn't have them. See above comment regarding the recommended use of diesel rated 5w40 synthetic oil.

That's good to know. I kept hearing about the HPFP. I don't know much about that car... I just execute when I am presented a bunch of parts and a pdf :)

There's a few versions of what it means :lmao:

Now let's see it
uvusadym.jpg

Very nice! I think with my Civic is a sign that I should also get a BMW! LOL

Enjoy the car!

If maintained properly then not really. There's not some scary million dollar fee for owning a tdi. Oil changes. Timing belts. Water pumps. All the same as any other car you maintain. :dontknow:

My younger brother has a Benz ML350. He's telling me he's had alot of bad luck with that car. Its only 3yrs old. He recently took it to the dealer & they cracked his windshield at the carwash. They had to replace his dashboard & windshield .

My older brother has an x5 which is sitting in his garage useless. The cost of repairs seems to be of equal value to the cost of the vehicle. The x5 was given the worst reliable vehicle in a consumer report, go figure.

If you want I can give you my experience with my 328i & my ex gf's 528i.

Call me crazy but I'm staying away from German

Very nice! I think with my Civic is a sign that I should also get a BMW! LOL

Enjoy the car!

Ahaha, Thanks.

Unfortunately I couldn't keep both cars, I had to sell the Prelude :(
She was my first car, and I already miss her like crazy.

The price in gas you saved is negated by the cost of repairs

Well, yes because we did preventive maintenance. No dealer would tell you the oil pump will fail and cost you a LOT of money to fix the engine. Nooo they just charge you money for maintenance schedule ********, which is basically looking at your hoses for $300. If you don't take above and beyond care of german cars they can bite you in the *** hard... of course that does not apply to the best car ever made audi 90 v6

Back
Top Bottom