when did you start racing? | GTAMotorcycle.com

when did you start racing?

mbroyda

To those of you who race, when did you start? did you do a few seasons of track days before? if so, what pace were you running before you decided to start racing?

Cheers

Max

2016 was my first season racing. I did two years of track days prior. Don't worry about pace, just get out and start racing...you'll be hooked.

Just over a season of track days, almost all in beginner. First race was 2012. I knew my laptimes from day 1 but only to see my own progress and set personal goals.

I knew I wanted to race after my first 3 track days. Just do it if that's what you want to do and don't worry about your pace, it'll come.

did the fast school 123. went racing. never did a td before racing. got a piece of wood my first weekend.

did a lot of dirt biking when I was younger - BEST school ever

Last edited:
1995, crashed twice in the same spot, same way, same day. hooked from there, did last race of the year, finished 23rd. Did full 1996 season, got turned PRO and thrown to the sharks. the rest is history.

Raced first at age 47. Did 5 track days prior to racing. Did FAST 1/2 prior to first race.

As for your pace etc. My opinion varies. If you start on a Lightweight bike I wouldn't care about your pace.

If you are planning on lining up on a 600 cc I4 then I would hope that you have experience with passing/being passed etc.

You don't get that exposure running green group track days.

Did 1 track day, then started racing in 2012

Did maybe 5 track days in 2009, started racing in 2010

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Wow, these are not the responses i was expecting. Not a whole lot of track day time before you all decided to start racing it seems.

I have a question, how old are you guys?

Completed FAST 1,2,3 in 1992. Did a few track days then started racing in 2001, turned Pro in 2014. I will be 46 next week.

Wow, these are not the responses i was expecting. Not a whole lot of track day time before you all decided to start racing it seems.

34. Started racing at 27. Turning pro next year.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Did my ever first track iniciation in 1995 in the ASM school (Québec)
2 weeks later did my first race in Amateur with the CSBK crowd.

Stopped for my many reasons and got back on to the horse in 2009...
2015 won the National Amateur SportBike
And this year, 2016, finished 2nd in my rookie Pro year in SportBike...

I turned 44 last October ! ;)

32 now, did my first 3 races at the end of the season 2012 and turned pro at the beginning of this year.

I will be 52 when I grid up in 2017

27 years old

Grew up on dirt bikes. Dad bought me a PW50 at age 4.

Started road racing in 2002 ( 14 years old)

Road a borrowed RS125 (Mark White lent it to me) and I was setting mid pack times right off the bat. Turns out at 14 you have no fear.

That Christmas I got a 1995 RS125 and started in the Can Am series.

Raced 125s and 250s until 2005, parents divorced and I lost my main sponsor lol.

restarted racing at 2014 On an RD400....had a terrible year.

Bought a Bandit 400 in 2015... Had a great year, until I blew the motor.

2016....we dont talk about 2016...

**Edit....Ive never done a trackday**

I got my R.A.C.E. License in 1986 at age 23. There were no trackdays then. I've been racing off and on ever since. It is a very expensive addiction!
Started on a 1981 Seca 550, Then an 86 FZ600, then a 91 CBR600 and a 94 CBR600, took 5 years off from 95-2000 picked up another CBR F2, then a CBRF3, then a 99 R6 and now a 2001 GSXR. In 2014 my Son started racing and the last two years racing with him have been some of the most fun and most trying times of racing.

Back
Top Bottom