What's the BEST motorcycle GPS iPhone app? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's the BEST motorcycle GPS iPhone app?

Yeah that is the killer with NavFree, no routes. For an A-B app I haven't found anything better...but you can't drag out your route from A-B.
Finding your way around in a new city it is great...wanting to stretch out a 70km trip into a 270km trip by dragging it just can't do.

I've been flipping between CoPilot & NavFree, depending on what I want to do. If I want to figure out the quickest way to a particular fry stand in Sturgeon Falls from Sudbury, I use NavFree. If I want to eke out the maximum twisty factor on Hwy 5xx roads between Sturgeon Falls & Parry Sound I used CoPilot...
They both have their place, but the CoPilot search function is just asinine, even after I figured it out.

BTW Sturgeon Falls is a french fry mecca...there is five places there that all make incredible fries in whatever manner you like. The best poutine I've tasted outside of Montreal came out of a CoffeeTime diner in Sturgeon Falls! (real cheese curds in real from scratch sauce...was awesome)

You need TomTom app for the twists.
Search on it here.
One time fee for all of North America
Winding Roads is made for motorcyclists....my go to when riding.
It's car like but Winding Roads makes it worth the clunky interface.

tomtomwindingroads-e1403081787440-174x300.png

TomTom (by TomTom)
The 13 best Motorcycle Navigation Apps reviewed - tomtomEverybody knows TomTom from their satellite navigation devices. Also within the motorcycle community they are one of the few (together with Garmin) that offer a specialized sat nav device for Motorcycle Riders: TomTom Rider. A couple of years ago they started bringing out apps for mobile devices too.

The 13 best Motorcycle Navigation Apps reviewed - tomtomwindingroadsThe TomTom app is a very complete navigation app and offers quite some features for motorcycle riders. They have a scenic routing option which they call “Winding Roads”. When choosing this option you can choose between the level of winding roads that you like: minimum, medium and maximum. You have to remember that TomTom does not know what is a good motorcycle road and what is not, but it can see (calculate) the winding level of roads and based on that propose a route.

In our tests this worked pretty good. It the city with lots of roads and traffic lights the Maximum setting appears to be the best for getting the nicest roads. In the country side medium or even minimum turned out to be the best setting. We recommend to preview your route before starting your ride and if you don’t like the calculated route you can always try a different setting.

Unfortunately it’s not possible to import a route into TomTom and for other apps to open TomTom with a complete itenerary. TomTom does allow you to plan a route upto a maximum of 7 points including start and end point, which is limited compared to MapQuest’s 26. The advantage over MapQuest is that you can select intermediate points by tapping on the map, which makes planning your route a bit easier.

I find the interface on CoPilot annoying but it's very fast.

Forever Maps is a fall back.
http://www.skobbler.com/apps

This is a pretty good overview of what's available and it's pretty current

http://www.motomappers.com/blog/gps...apps-for-iphone-13-of-the-best-apps-reviewed/

thanks for the last link. I have tried Sygic and that has beautiful maps and graphics but no offical .gpx routing.
Will try Skobbler out.

Forgot to mention I am testing on an Android device.

Check out HERE+ Maps (originally Nokia Maps) that have recently been moved over to Android. Full offline routing and maps, one of the largest mapping resources available.

Yeah, I have been testing HERE recently. (Last week on a drive to Ottawa). Its pretty good. I emailed them to request the ability to load .gpx files. If they can add that one feature it would mean you could load routes easier and share them.
The problem with most the smartphones, is that you cant use them with gloves one and that the controls on screen are tiny so manipulating the software while riding is a lot harder than with a dedicated unit like the Zumo 66X range etc
My Velocity kangaroo gloves work my Samsung S4 screen fine, my Bickle gloves not at all :(

Check out HERE+ Maps (originally Nokia Maps) that have recently been moved over to Android. Full offline routing and maps, one of the largest mapping resources available.
Thanks.. On post #60 I mentioned I am using HERE as well a d have msged them to try and add GPX file loading.

Thanks.. On post #60 I mentioned I am using HERE as well a d have msged them to try and add GPX file loading.

whoops! missed that. haha. oh well.

hopefully one day there'll be a one-stop-solution.

Back
Top Bottom