What's for dinner?

found a duck in the freezer
gonna do something with it
orange and ginger based is usually pretty good

was reminded of the time awhile back when I tried to BBQ a duck
some wisdom from an old Scotsman:

if ever you decide to BBQ a duck
have a fire extinguisher handy

Confit that duck, round up some white beans, maybe a potato and some sausage and package a casoulette. Use a good red wine in the sauce.

But today would be a good day to BBQ a duck, the raging fire would keep you warm.

That looks awesome @Robbo. I'm surprised there aren't more posts about charcuterie and cheese boards here. It's an excellent meal and so easy to do. Great minds think alike ;) as I recently had another cheese, cracker and tapenade board. I kept it on the smaller side with no meats since it was only for two and didn't get pictures but here's the contents. I went with Oka cheese, an aged gouda (will get the name when I can and edit this), PC Chia and Quinoa pita crackers, Raincoast cranberry and hazelnul crisps and Brickstone Fine Foods onion, red pepper and nut tapenade.
999999-6740062515.jpg

beemsterAged_1024x1024.jpg

3398319.jpg

L9762550.JPG

The tapenade is like this (and red) but onion, red pepper and nut flavour.
15227728855ac3ab959b660-500x498.jpg

The cheese, cracker and tapenade board was served with Henry of Pelham Cuvée Catharine Rosé Brut.
https://store.henryofpelham.com/prod...rine-rose-brut
attachment.php

It was time for another grill cook as well. I recently went with BBQ as well as chipotle adobo sauce racks of pork back ribs done low and slow on the Weber Summit for ~ 4 hrs. I invited neighbors over and the ribs were very popular, but I forgot to get pics so here's a pic of the same cook I did last time. Both racks were smoked light-medium with hickory, apple and cherry wood chips. The BBQ ribs have a scratch sweet dry rub plus national BBQ competition award winning Misty Mountain sauce. The adobo chipotle ribs are full scratch with a combination of sweet and spicy ingredients. Fresh toasted garlic bread was served as well; it's a simple basic side that works well with the meal in my experience.
a3457b8c3d82757555ffa6eec631042a2fc301d9bc7a7ac2e408a4af3de5dde5.jpg

It's a big picture if you want to click and zoom in.

Have a great Sunday.

Last edited:
Confit that duck, round up some white beans, maybe a potato and some sausage and package a casoulette. Use a good red wine in the sauce.

But today would be a good day to BBQ a duck, the raging fire would keep you warm.

thanks, had to read up on the French terminology
sounds delicious, but also takes a few days to turn out properly

so yeah, gonna get the marinate process going
need to pickup a few ingredients for the later steps

so in the meantime it's Johnsonville brats with mustard
and my daughter made a pretty good pasta salad

not Haute Cuisine, but it'll do on a cold, shytty day

was reminded of the time awhile back when I tried to BBQ a duck
some wisdom from an old Scotsman:

if ever you decide to BBQ a duck
have a fire extinguisher handy
I like to rotisserie duck and collect the drippings for gravy. It's excellent with beautiful crispy skin and no fire extinguisher necessary ;).

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Duck is one of my faves. Torn between confit de canard and Peking duck though. Both are excellent. Lac St Brome does some pretty decent duck confit ready prepared that you can get from Loblaws. It’s pricey but nice.

Did you know duck skin is one of the most toxic food substances you can eat in terms of how bad it is for you...unfortunately crispy duck skin is also delicious. I’m pretty sure it has more to do with the fat content than anything else though.

My wife wont touch duck, except when she doesn't know whats in the pate..... its a moral thing for her, ducks cuter than chickens. I don't try to understand it.

Last night was Gnocci, left over mashed potatoes , bit of flour, pinch of salt, water added by the tablespoon so it doesnt get too moist. Rolled it out into a 1/2" diameter roll and sliced off little 1/2" pieces and used a fork to texture the edge so the sauce had something to stick to.
Made a brown butter and sage sauce, threw in a handful of green peas for color and some sliced mushrooms for texture.

It was like eating .45 caliber bullets, tough and chewy not happy little pillows of fluff. Not every dinner gets a michelin star around here.

That looks awesome @Robbo. I'm surprised there aren't more posts about charcuterie and cheese boards here. It's an excellent meal and so easy to do. Great minds think alike ;) as I recently had another cheese, cracker and tapenade board. I kept it on the smaller side with no meats since it was only for two and didn't get pictures but here's the contents. I went with Oka cheese, an aged gouda (will get the name when I can and edit this), PC Chia and Quinoa pita crackers, Raincoast cranberry and hazelnul crisps and Brickstone Fine Foods onion, red pepper and nut tapenade.
999999-6740062515.jpg

beemsterAged_1024x1024.jpg

3398319.jpg

L9762550.JPG

The tapenade is like this (and red) but onion, red pepper and nut flavour.
15227728855ac3ab959b660-500x498.jpg

The cheese, cracker and tapenade board was served with Henry of Pelham Cuvée Catharine Rosé Brut.
https://store.henryofpelham.com/prod...rine-rose-brut
attachment.php

It was time for another grill cook as well. I recently went with BBQ as well as chipotle adobo sauce racks of pork back ribs done low and slow on the Weber Summit for ~ 4 hrs. I invited neighbors over and the ribs were very popular, but I forgot to get pics so here's a pic of the same cook I did last time. Both racks were smoked light-medium with hickory, apple and cherry wood chips. The BBQ ribs have a scratch sweet dry rub plus national BBQ competition award winning Misty Mountain sauce. The adobo chipotle ribs are full scratch with a combination of sweet and spicy ingredients. Fresh toasted garlic bread was served as well; it's a simple basic side that works well with the meal in my experience.
a3457b8c3d82757555ffa6eec631042a2fc301d9bc7a7ac2e408a4af3de5dde5.jpg

It's a big picture if you want to click and zoom in.

Have a great Sunday.

Thanks @kwtoxman. Appreciate the suggestions/recommendations. It’s a great platform to experiment and try new flavours. I really enjoyed the variety.

Tbh, this was our first charcuterie on one of the boards I made for my wife for Christmas. The one we used was a thick walnut slab and pretty basic.

My favourite is this one (below). It took a bit of work as it had a lot of small imperfections but such great character in the wood.

497827b519b734886df7dd97729d542d.jpg
2c4de495fa250b8243b74c65bdfbb5bd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice @Robbo!

More food pics incoming :). It's been a while, time for another Asian stir fry home cook
happy112.gif
, so I picked up another red sweet pepper and ran with what appealed to me around the house. It included fresh baby bok choy, Chinese broccoli, celery, garden carrots, onion, red sweet pepper, minced garlic, minced ginger, plus shrimp, peas, shiitake mushrooms, basswood black fungus, chili flakes, Chinese red chilis (mortar and pestle ground), cashews, chow mein noodles, Chinese 5 spice, Thai black soy sauce (sweet), Chinese premium dark soy sauce, oyster sauce and fish sauce. Cooked stove-top in a wok with peanut oil and water to steam (with a lid). :agave::agave:

015ae8fe016688e57108e10652f9b94aa0621b01cf84cf799381bbde01285dfb.jpg

Big resolution so you can click to see more.

I also made another Asian instant noodle soup, different flavor and style, with fresh baby bok choy, chinese brocolli and shrimp added again. It's a great winter meal in the cold here. :agave:
attachment.php

Cheers and have a great weekend.

that soup looks really good KW, yum

made a pho pot yesterday
pork, red peppers, baby boks, onions/garlic... etc
tossed in 2 packs of ramen for good measure
used store-bought pho broth
haven't figured out, yet, how to make that flavour
baby boks are one of my faves

found a solution for that friggin duck
it's been a nagging concern
thawed it out then gave up on it
was giving me a dirty look every time I opened the fridge

slow cooked it today with a ginger/paprika/garlic/citrus treatment
will let it firm up up and slice up tomorrow

so it's gonna be duck tacos for the Super Bowl

Last edited:
Not gonna be dinner for a while yet.
73ee50793543e4b4e49e567b0ac6c875.jpg
e64d48b91b838891d320b4a9694cd972.jpg
1867b07f577a9abad7df1a0da9e59fee.jpg
5cb2dd334f20850aec965da0b40ea26a.jpg

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Thx @JavaFan. Sounds great. Looks great @Joe Bass. Do tell, I'm not very familiar with what's going on.

BBQ chicken drumsticks grilled on the Weber Summit.
attachment.php

A basic vegetable stir fry wok cook. I went with baby bok choy, chinese broccoli, shiitake mushrooms, basswood black fungus, black soy sauce (sweet) and oyster sauce. Very tasty :agave:.
attachment.php

Cheers

Last edited:
Joe, that looks fantastic
one thing I'd like to try when I'm done working

tell us more about that?
looks like pork?
what is the sauce/marinate?
where/how long you gonna cure it?
what's it called when you're done?

Made up a charcuterie plate again and took a picture this time ;). It includes smoked shinkenspeck, hot genoa salami, prosciutto, vegetable cheese ball, PC Chia and Quinoa pita crackers, PC Sea Salt pita crackers, Raincoast cranberry and hazelnut crisps as well as tapenade. I could have added two more cheeses and other stuff but it was already a lot of food. :agave::agave:
3a05a7b0a234e7038dc97b481e6de3164526b9429307e3cc406ce4369569e33b.jpg

Big picture and great resolution if you want to zoom in.

Another Asian instant soup here, this one soba noodle style with added shrimp, baby bok choy and Chinese broccoli. Tasty.
attachment.php

Cheers

So let me start with this: I was never good at getting along with my dad. So when the family made sauce and sausage etc., I was somewhere else.
I only recently have started helping with the meats, and only a few times. And I am only a helper. My dad does the buying of all the meat, supplies, orchestrates the entire ordeal, then cures the meats.
He cures them in his cantina (cold cellar) where he keeps it temperature and humidity controlled as to not allow the meat to get moldy.
The sauce is just a picante sauce. To add a little heat.
Those pics of the meat are prosciuttino. I *believe* this is the pig's shoulder or back. If it was the thigh, it would be prosciutto.
The ones hanging are capicollo. They made the sausages before I got there.
The curing is the most difficult part and the one that my siblings are trying to get me to learn, as I have the biggest cantina. Not sure if I have the discipline or patience.
I have brought friends on different occasions to join us in the process. They learned a lot.
But again, the curing is what makes or breaks it.
I have some from last years haul vacpac'd.
Will post sime pics when I slice it up.

National pizza day today. Usually I would go for Nino D'Aversa wood oven Inferno pizza, but probably just gonna order Pizza Nova Diavola thin crust well done so I don't have to go out.
I'm not one for spicy food, but I love these two pies.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom