What's for dinner? | Page 35 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's for dinner?

Applewood, orange and ginger planked salmon on the weber summit grill. All the hard work was already done. :)
http://cedarbaygrilling.com/products/cedar-planked-salmon-full-fillet-ca/

So tasty! :agave:
attachment.php

attachment.php

An easy and great side dish; Instant pot risotto with peas, carrots, grana padano cheese (parmesan) and butter, plus a little salt and pepper. :agave:
attachment.php

Cheers!

Last edited:
see the Chicago Trib guy almost gets it.
Risotto is not a product, its a cooking technique. You first toast the rice grains in a oil to seal the outside to slow the cooking and harden the outside of the grain. The gradual addition of stock allows the grain the release the creamy starches yet remain ale dente, the bite back. The wooden spoon is because a steel spoon is a heat sink and will take heat away from the grain.

If you order risotto in a resteraunt and it is served faster than 30 mins, it will be nice, but...

I'm just glad to see people eating real food, made from real food. Uncle Bens risotto , not so much

see the Chicago Trib guy almost gets it.
Risotto is not a product, its a cooking technique. You first toast the rice grains in a oil to seal the outside to slow the cooking and harden the outside of the grain. The gradual addition of stock allows the grain the release the creamy starches yet remain ale dente, the bite back. The wooden spoon is because a steel spoon is a heat sink and will take heat away from the grain.

If you order risotto in a resteraunt and it is served faster than 30 mins, it will be nice, but...

I'm just glad to see people eating real food, made from real food. Uncle Bens risotto , not so much

Thats is very good information on the process. Honestly did not know that.
Never been a big risotto guy so I will concede when cooking instant pot its just rice, and I am ok with that. =}

Re cooking time, .....interesting as Gordon Ramsey has his minions whip it up in minutes. Not 30....Hmmmm..

On a side note Basmati rice takes forever.....I am thinking instant Basmati is the way to go...Any one instant pot it yet?

That Chicago guy with best risotto article that I earlier posted also enthusiastically endorses Instant pot risotto :). It's awesome and uses much of the same cooking steps. Win win win.

In the mean time, I cooked another must-do (for me) recipe and meal. Trinidad doubles! :agave:
Here's Instant pot Trinidad doubles :) .

Very authentic and crazy tasty :agave:.
attachment.php

attachment.php

I had to do this after the awesomeness of the Caribbean chicken roti Instant pot cook. And I wasn't disappointed. This recipe doesn't exist for the Instant pot so I adapted some stove-top recipes over. And this type of cook really excels in the Instant pot.

It's a simple recipe and easy cook :thumbup:. I even had all of the ingredients already on hand. The stuffing was made with the Instant pot, and the shells were made in a cast iron skillet for simplicity. But the shells can also be made in the Instant pot as well if one wants to do that.

These Trinidad doubles are another one of my most favourite cross-cultural meals :agave:. It reminds me of Caribbean chicken roti with some significant similarities but also some notable differences. For example, the shells are very different in the Trinidad doubles.

Cheers and enjoy the weekend!

Last edited:
Love doubles. Though, I can never make that for myself, not that I can't make it, rather when I do make a pot of curry chickpeas usually enough for 10 people, I eat the whole pot myself. In one or 2 sittings.

If I pass Island Foods or Drupati's and I see no line, I will pick up a couple doubles, they are the prefect midnight snack especially after a night of heavy drinking. I add my own twist to it, after heating up the doubles, I add some diced onions and tomatoes, finely diced fresh ginger and a squeeze of lemon.

Plans got cancelled this afternoon, since the SO woke up feeling like a cold coming on. Made some cold fighting comfort food, not my favourite dish to eat but the SO loves it.

Chicken paprikash with spaetzle and garlic chips, steamed garlic spinach, boiled potatoes tossed in chicken fat, sweet and sour beet and cucumber and cheesy garlic bread.

22802818_177315416154693_2940530207947227136_n.jpg

tell me about garlic chips, I seem to go from toasted to burnt in 1.6 seconds. Whats the process for you, please.

@bishop I saw that dish on insta and me and my kid were debating on whether or not that was home made. You do awesome work. (fwiw it looks like I won the debate)

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

I love doubles. I no longer have a local restaurant so I haven't had them in a long time. To be able to now make them is a game changer for me. In a great way. Everyone should try doubles. So good.

A few more cooks.

Stir fry. Was literally a 5 minute prep and 5 minute cook. Chicken, snow peas, orange sweet pepper, garden onion, broccoli, General Tso's sauce and chow mein noodles cooked in a wok on the stove. :agave:
attachment.php

A spin on the caesar salad this meal. I was eating up some vegetables in the fridge. Romaine lettuce, garden onion, snow peas, yellow sweet pepper, radishes, butter croutons, a quality creamy Caesar dressing, salt, pepper and fresh squeezed lemon. :)
attachment.php

A rotisserie chicken done on the weber summit with the ceramic burner. I used a national bbq competition award winning sauce. Perfectly cooked and caramelized sugars. Crazy good :agave: .
attachment.php

Last edited:
Thanks @Joe-Bass, yes, you did win the debate.

I made the dish way more complicated then it needed to be, since I didn't have any real plans for the afternoon. I cooked the chicken 3 ways - seared the pieces, then pressure cooked it and then broiled to get a BBQ style coat on it using the paprikash sauce. The chicken was already tender fall of the bone after the pressure cooker. Even the spaetzle was cooked 2 ways, first the regular way in salted water then finished off in the paprikash sauce while the chicken was broiling.

So for this dish I cheated and used store bought chips.

I do have a go to method that makes perfect chips everytime, I microwave them. Thinly slice the garlic and then coat them with a thin coat of oil, place each chip on plate as flat as possible not touching each other. Then microwave at half power in 1min intervals until golden. Once the color is good, take them off the plate and then put them on paper towel, they will eventually crips up. Works with onions and potato chips as well.

I haven't had doubles or roti since Barb closed her shop on Lakeshore due to, I think, health problems. Haven't located a replacement so might try DIY.

Love doubles. Though, I can never make that for myself, not that I can't make it, rather when I do make a pot of curry chickpeas usually enough for 10 people, I eat the whole pot myself. In one or 2 sittings.
LOL. I know what you mean. I never ate a lot of chick peas growing up and am now making up for that :). I already made notes to double the recipe for more leftovers. Thankfully the shells are very easy and quick to make; a few ingredients and after the prep the cook is about 20-30 seconds per shell.

I haven't had doubles or roti since Barb closed her shop on Lakeshore due to, I think, health problems. Haven't located a replacement so might try DIY.
When was that?

Try the Roti Shop in Brampton on Kennedy if you are ever in the area. https://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Ontario/Brampton/Brampton-Roti-Shop/229797.html
And the earlier Drupati's recommendation is excellent, assuming a few are still around. There is now a food trike selling doubles in TO. Popular tasty stuff. :blob7:
https://www.facebook.com/DoublesFoodTrike/

Such great food. BlogTO has discussed doubles offerings in the GTA. If you want my recipe throw me a PM; it's simple and easy.

A few more cooks.
Here I took some leftover rotisserie chicken, added some red and orange sweet pepper and garden onion on the stove wok, with chow mein noodles and General Tso's sauce. An awesome leftovers meal :agave:.
attachment.php

Another Instant pot baked ziti. I'm really comfortable with this cook and now am switching things up a bit for variety, depending on what I want and have around. Did this one with some of my custom coarse grind beef and pork, large onion, fresh garlic, Paul Newman's tomato and basil sauce, salt, pepper, basil, oregano, marjoram, ricotta cheese and some mixed shredded cheese. A 5 minute cook. Al dente, and soooo good :agave:.
attachment.php

Cheers!

Last edited:
@kwtoxman hold on, the baked ziti took 5 mins to cook? That's meat and all? If so, screw what the wife says I'm getting the instant pot.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

@kwtoxman hold on, the baked ziti took 5 mins to cook? That's meat and all? If so, screw what the wife says I'm getting the instant pot.

Haha :toothy7:. Yup, it's very fast. That 5 minute time period is the pressure part of the cook, but it isn't much more overall. Here's a quick recap of the cook.

1. Prep by dicing onion and garlic (5 minutes) while preheating the Instant pot (saute function).
2. Saute onion and garlic in olive oil in pot for a few minutes and then add the fresh custom ground beef and pork to the mix for a few more minutes of sauteing (5 or so minutes total). Don't fully cook the meat, just 50% or so is fine, even less if you want, hence the 2-3 minute saute of the meat.
3. Add a bit of water, the pasta, sauce and seasonings, put on the lid and pressure cook for 5 minutes. The Instant pot only takes about 2-3 minutes to get up to pressure with this recipe since it isn't a large volume dish and many of the constituents are already warm.
4 Quick manual pressure release when done; this takes about 30 seconds. Then stir in the ricotta and shredded cheese and serve!

One may run out of time setting the table during this cook it is so fast. :)

It's a really fast meal, 15 - 20 minutes even with the food prep. You can skip the sauteing part and just add all the ingredients together for an even faster cook. Many of the Instant pot cooks are very fast. Pressure cookers really knock down a lot time on historically labour and time intensive cooks, like soups, stews, meats, noodles, etc. You can even cook meats from frozen. And it doesn't matter; because they cook with moisture so the food comes out super moist and tender. Even a pot roast cook is only about 45 minutes under pressure.

Get an Instant Pot. With Amazon black Friday coming soon the sales will be excellent.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Had a couple of wicked meals over the week, the perks of been fun employed. A huge batch of fried chicken was one of them. It's such an easy dish to make but so time consuming, messy and smelly. The place smelled like a deep fryer for 2 days. Well this is leftover from the huge batch.

Fried chicken n waffles - Marinated chicken in buttermilk and Nashville hot spices, oat waffles and maple syrup mixed in the leftover Nashville hot spices.

ROraygR.jpg

Last edited:
Looks and sounds great!

Been quiet with me.... oh well, earlier this week the wisdom teeth had to come out :toothy3:.

I can't wait to get back on unrestricted solid food. I'm really missing texture, people don't realize how important it is to taste and enjoying food.

I did get around to trying another new Instant pot recipe. Instant pot lemon chicken orzo soup. An easy recipe and simple cook. Very nice and tasty. :agave:
attachment.php

Cheers and have a great weekend.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom