What's a good first car? | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's a good first car?

+1. For ***** and giggles, I asked insurance price for a 2000 v6 mustang convertible. It was cheaper than similar year civic.
The price difference is probably due to their typical drivers. Ditzy secretaries vs. wannabe racers.

The price difference has to do with the difference in average accident benefit claim amount. Several civic models don't do very well in crashes, which means that their occupants don't either. http://assets.ibc.ca/Documents/Auto Insurance/hcmu/2014/HCMU_E_2014.pdf
Those aren't collision ratings those are claims indexes. If a car is commonly owned by sedaqte drivers, they do better in the claims index. Look at the ratings for Mustangs. Do you think a convertible Mustang is better in a crash that a coupe, or do you think more ditzy blondes drive them like around trying to look cool?

Those aren't collision ratings those are claims indexes. If a car is commonly owned by sedaqte drivers, they do better in the claims index. Look at the ratings for Mustangs. Do you think a convertible Mustang is better in a crash that a coupe, or do you think more ditzy blondes drive them like around trying to look cool?

If you go back not too many years, some minivans had poor crash ratings, but still had cheap insurance rates, because they were typically driven by people who are demographically least likely to crash (middle-aged parents) and are seldom driven by people demographically most likely to crash (teens and old folks with failing senses) and repair parts were a dime a dozen. The passenger Chevrolet Astro was one such example.

Do you think that all Honda Civics are driven by teenaged street racers? A lot of them, and arguably the majority of them, are driven as family transportation by ordinary mature drivers.

2nd Generation or newer priuses are pretty fuel efficient. 4.7L/100km or less depending on how new it is. The new ones get a lot less. Super reliable also! Cheap maintenance and roomy/comfortable.

I'm sure I read something positive about the Mazda 6 on the internet a while back. If I have enough money in the bank when the wheels fall off the car I'm driving now, I'll probably start looking for a deal on a used one.

I'm sure I read something positive about the Mazda 6 on the internet a while back. If I have enough money in the bank when the wheels fall off the car I'm driving now, I'll probably start looking for a deal on a used one.
When I was looking into them the only real issue that seemed common was the 3.0l v6 had a nasty habit of oil leaks. Not sure if that's been fixed.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

You will not want any Mazda 6 before the current (Skyactiv) generation anyhow, and the current generation is all 4 cylinder.

Reason: Rust.

That's true, Mazda has/had rust problems across pretty much all their cars.

My neighbor has a last gen Mazda 3 hatchback...Krown's it every year, no rust, car is clean.

It's seems that Krown is a decent product and should be part of scheduled maintenance if you plan on keeping your cars longer than 3 years.

btw- What the hell exactly is Skyactive technology? Does the car fly?

Skyactiv is Mazda's name for their latest generation more-environmentally-friendly technologies. Direct-injection gasoline engine with high compression, automatic transmissions with low power loss, bodyshells with less weight, etc. The tech is actually quite good, but the name ... The Japanese come up with some odd ones. Better than Honda's "Earth Dreams" moniker that they use for more-or-less the same stuff!

Mazda's rust issues basically stopped from MY 2010+ as they switched the type of metal that they used in their bodies. When I was looking for a car back then, that was also my concern but my research showed that rust basically became less of an issue after 2009. Could be wrong but that is what I found.

Back
Top Bottom