What's A Good $5000 Dual Sport? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's A Good $5000 Dual Sport?

Hardwrkr13

Site Supporter
Don't need a single track or paved-twisties weapon as I have those but if I were to spend $5000ish on something (used) I can head out on for a mix of pavement, gravel, and doubletrack trails what would be your go-to? I'm 220ish and want something that'll chug my weight along without being squishy. P:icking up a heavy bike offroad isn't an issue.

Last edited:
dr650?
Milk crate kawis are probably too squishy

Prob used I'm thinking.

I'd say it depends on how skewed you want to be off-road/on-road.

For more off-road prowess, you're looking at a more dirtbike-like dual-sport, along the lines of a WR250R (top choice. but may be slightly more than $5K because they're so rare) or a KLX250 with the CRF250L being the last-place choice due to its poor power-to-weight and suspension inadequacies. Maybe a XT225/250, Super Sherpa for older technology.

On-road bias and small ADVs, you're probably looking at the 390 Adventure for the obvious choice. Runner-ups include the Versys 300X, G310GS for newer technology, perhaps even a 400cc Himalayan for the off-beat choice.

Larger displacement-wise, the DRZ400, DR650, XR650 and KLR650 are heavier, haven't been updated in a while, but proven bulletproof. You might find an older BMW single cylinder G650GS/F650GS (Dakar version preferred) for that price or a 690 Enduro R if you're extremely lucky and don't mind fixing it up.

IMO, the 500cc enduro (EXC500, FE501, RRS500, CRF450L) singles are the holy grail, but good luck at that price-point and having them be in any condition to run.

Last edited:
Would a Wee-Strom make the list?

Not mine specifically, but I may have different criteria for what I consider a dual sport.

Most of the bikes I listed are about 250-350 lbs wet weight, the heaviest maybe around ~400 lbs. The V-Strom is pushing 475 lbs, which IMO puts it firmly into the heavily street-biased Adventure Touring category. If you don't mind that kind of weight, 25lb more and you could get an early-model R1200GS with better suspension and a chit-ton of low-end boxer-torque for around $5K!

But those are my own personal definitions. Any bike can identify as anything it wants to. I don't want to offend anyone, lest of all half of the population of GTAM who actually own a V-Strom.

Any bike can identify as anything it wants to. I don't want to offend anyone, lest of all half of the population of GTAM who actually own a V-Strom.

Like off-roading an r6?

Aka Jamie/Johnscruiser (rip)

Half the people that still post here have had, or still own a v-strom.

Imho, not a dual sport... not at all. Gravel travel, maybe.

Sometimes I still lust after an orange bike. 50 lbs less than my wr would be nice.

The maintenance and price would not...

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
afd4c9d11900f971928682cca2a02364.jpg

Last edited:
For 5K you could pick up a DR650 and have enough left over for a bigger fuel tank and maybe some other stuff you may want. They haven't really changed since around 1996.

The XR650L would also qualify but the prices for those has climbed to the point of ridiculous for the most part.

The decision point is do you want something that you could ride the wide trails or sandy access roads in the Ganaraska if you felt like it. Based on that I'd say the Vstrom wouldn't make the cut.

For 5K you could pick up a DR650 and have enough left over for a bigger fuel tank and maybe some other stuff you may want. They haven't really changed since around 1996.

The XR650L would also qualify but the prices for those has climbed to the point of ridiculous for the most part.

The decision point is do you want something that you could ride the wide trails or sandy access roads in the Ganaraska if you felt like it. Based on that I'd say the Vstrom wouldn't make the cut.
Dr650 is another 60 lbs heavier than a wr250r. Around 360lbs.

Its called a bush pig for a reason.

Decent enough, but exhausting.

My friend sold his. Bought a wr250r, and now wants to go lighter, and twice the price... to a ktm 350 exc-f.

If he does, and I ride it... let's just say, ignorance is bliss.

e0ccd64a23c5a7ef856bb162532d199a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Here's another option from a fellow GTAM'er, but you'd need a set of offroad wheels:

What about a 2010ish F800GS?

A first gen KLR650 - those who like em like em alot
I did do a couple ODSC runs with it but honestly it was a bit much. (that's why I bought the KLX250)

What about a 2010ish F800GS?

Sounds like you're really looking at mid-weight Adventure bikes vs lighter dual-sports.

Poly-cylinder bikes are always going to be heavier and more complex to fix trail-side than thumpers, but they've got better road manners.

IMO, if you're just going on gravel roads, any motorcycle is capable of doing that, from R6s, Goldwings, Harleys, R1200GS. It's just that some bikes are better suited for low-traction environments than others. You don't really need long-travel suspension, 21/18 wheels and full-on knobbies for FSRs.

Weight is still the most important consideration, especially if you're going on twisty or hilly gravel roads. Heavier bikes carry more momentum and inertia will make for more pucker moments when you're trying to turn or slow the bike down on loose surfaces. Lighter is better. With most poly-cylinder ADV bikes, you're typically looking at ~450 lbs.

A neutral seating position is what I'd consider the next important factor. The ability to move around on the bike, stand up on the pegs, shift your weight laterally and backwards/forwards will help counter-balance the bike in low-traction surfaces. A standard bike will be better than a sportbike or a cruiser in this regard.

Both the V-Strom and F800GS are fine for this, the Beemer will have better suspension than the Suzi.

Any reason why you're not taking your S1KXR on gravel roads? Some good 90/10 tires instead of the sportbike rubbers and you should be good to go.

Sounds like you're really looking at mid-weight Adventure bikes vs lighter dual-sports.

Poly-cylinder bikes are always going to be heavier and more complex to fix trail-side than thumpers, but they've got better road manners.

IMO, if you're just going on gravel roads, any motorcycle is capable of doing that, from R6s, Goldwings, Harleys, R1200GS. It's just that some bikes are better suited for low-traction environments than others. You don't really need long-travel suspension, 21/18 wheels and full-on knobbies for FSRs.

Weight is still the most important consideration, especially if you're going on twisty or hilly gravel roads. Heavier bikes carry more momentum and inertia will make for more pucker moments when you're trying to turn or slow the bike down on loose surfaces. Lighter is better. With most poly-cylinder ADV bikes, you're typically looking at ~450 lbs.

A neutral seating position is what I'd consider the next important factor. The ability to move around on the bike, stand up on the pegs, shift your weight laterally and backwards/forwards will help counter-balance the bike in low-traction surfaces. A standard bike will be better than a sportbike or a cruiser in this regard.

Both the V-Strom and F800GS are fine for this, the Beemer will have better suspension than the Suzi.

Any reason why you're not taking your S1KXR on gravel roads? Some good 90/10 tires instead of the sportbike rubbers and you should be good to go.
Because his bmw is pretty nice!

Vstrom is fine to pick up a few times. But some rides on softer or wet stuff I was picking it up 5+ times and then it’s really annoying and people stopped being my friend.

For a true 50/50 bike maybe go a bit lighter as others have said like the DR, XR, KLR and so on…

Like Shane says, I'm rather picky about keeping the XR clean and pretty. I'd mostly be riding with KTM 890ADV or AT so I don't need a true singletrack weapon which is why I'm looking that way. I have the 300XC, don't need a dual sport version of it. I've never ridden a DR650 or KLR650 and I'm sure they're plenty good for the offroad I'd be doing but I want to be decently comfy between trails/gravel roads and not have a sore butt if we do a day ride. I also don't know how they are at speeds over 100kph either and if they're coughing up a lung at 120kph I won't keep it long. For those reasons I'm looking at the heavier/comfier bikes. If I'm wrong and a KLR will do the trick (heck a XR650L will match the garage better so I'd prefer that) then let me know.

Back
Top Bottom