What trade to call. | GTAMotorcycle.com

What trade to call.

nobbie48

Site Supporter
A friend commented that his bathroom vent fan didn't work so I took a look expecting a loose connection or burnt out motor.

In reality the fan worked but didn't draw air. Investigating further I looked into the attic and saw a total F/U.

Two bathrooms are actually involved.

In one the fan dumps the air into the attic space.

With the other the fan exhaust is Mickey Moused to the soil stack.

Who should he call asap, a plumber, roofer (To install a roof vent) or HVAC type or is this a multi-trade venture?

I'm aware of the methane issue so just because he hasn't died yet it doesn't mean it couldn't happen tomorrow.

HVAC will be the guy who covers all the potential issues I'd think, but then again a roofer can probably take care of it as well if it's solely a venting issue..but I'd think an HVAC guy would be more suited in the end being a trade.

Likely won't need any new vents installed, HVAC guy will proabably just route it to the nearest soffit and vent out there.

HVAC will be the guy who covers all the potential issues I'd think, but then again a roofer can probably take care of it as well if it's solely a venting issue..but I'd think an HVAC guy would be more suited in the end being a trade.

Likely won't need any new vents installed, HVAC guy will proabably just route it to the nearest soffit and vent out there.
Agreed ;) They will do the electrical anyways.

@nobbie48 I can send you my BIL's info if you need a guy.

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

Any good hvac guy/girl should be able to penetrate and reseal the roof to vent any hvac appliance or equipment. If they can't, look for another qualified tech. I was cutting a roof open every second day when I was running hvac, no issues.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

if the HVAC guy wants to route it to the nearest soffit, fire him and get a smart guy, the soffit is an intake for attic ventilation so the moist air gets sucked right back into the attic space.

Its not so much a methane issue, bath fans remove moist air out of a bathroom past the un insulated attic air space where the moisture will re condense and rot out the roof decking and produce mold. putting it into a soil stack is against code and an easy way out. The duct from the bath fan should be insulated (in a perfect world) and vent out through a roof deck or end wall where it will disperse and not get pulled back into the attic air space.

And if you ever have a house re roofed , check that the roofer dudes hooked up the vents since they pull the vents , let the duct fall into the attic and sit the vent back down like its all good. Lazy paid per sq ft roofers.

Got my roof done this year. Gonna check the vents. Thanks for the tip @crankcall

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

or...DIY?

It would be tempting to do that if the roof wasn't so high and steep with the vent needing to be near the edge.

As always much good advice from the GTAM community. I've passed on your tips and suggestions. My friend knows a general contractor and it is the type of job that a deficiency expert would do well at. There were a bunch of other dumb stunts the original renovator pulled and they need to be fixed up as well.

Thanks guys

HVAC should be able to reroute the bathroom vent to a place that meets code (either roof or exterior wall) and a plumber should be able to help with the plumbing stack that will be left open to vent to the attic.

Back
Top Bottom