What mistakes am I going to make? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What mistakes am I going to make?

I believe peter lentz was killed a few years back in a motorcycle race. People wanted to charge the parents with abuse if I remember correctly.

I just started riding and I keep forgetting to turn off the signal.. haha .

It's always a good idea to back your bike into a spot, especially if when pulling out it will be uphill. I'm almost 6'3 and 225 and fairly fit so I'm not a small guy by any stretch, and duck walking my r6 up a slope backwards can be slow and tough!

Or do what I do when possible and squeeze between the cars and pull into the spot ;)

Or you could learn to spin it around on the kickstand and park it any dang direction you want and not look like a monkey, duck walking it. I'm 5'10 and never reverse or go a direction the throttle doesn't take me..

Didn't read through the whole thread but this is the most important piece of advice I can give you if you ride with groups:

Never exceed your comfort zone in a turn. No matter what you read or watch, until you practice it at your own pace you it will be unfamiliar to you. A great way to fire off every survival reaction is to enter a turn 30km/h more than you normally would while following friends.

油井緋色;2175835 said:
Didn't read through the whole thread but this is the most important piece of advice I can give you if you ride with groups:

Never exceed your comfort zone in a turn. No matter what you read or watch, until you practice it at your own pace you it will be unfamiliar to you. A great way to fire off every survival reaction is to enter a turn 30km/h more than you normally would while following friends.

I learned that the hard way. Luckily I had leathers on...

I would say responsibility isn't the right word. I'm all for helping people out when I can and all. I'll ride normally and not do anything crazy with noobs but I think the responsibility is a new persons issue. They need to be responsible to either ask questions or make sure they take a course. This whole "I'mma 20 something and I know it all" or the "my buddy started on a 1000 I'll be fine" attitude are a lot of what's wrong. Some can and do start off big but the majority cannot. I'm all for helping anyone or offering any advice I can. We all started somewhere and I'd rather friends or even just new rides would ask anything. When they don't is when things can go wrong.

Your right about responsibility, just don't know what word fits. Being a new rider I do look up to those with experience. I ask some questions, but don't want to look like a complete idiot either. Regardless, I appreciate the words Of the wiser.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spinning it around on the kickstand isn't advised. It's not meant for that

Doesn't seem to to bother any of the kickstands I've done it to a few thousand times.. until they put reverse on a bike, I'll continue to spin er'

Your right about responsibility, just don't know what word fits. Being a new rider I do look up to those with experience. I ask some questions, but don't want to look like a complete idiot either. Regardless, I appreciate the words Of the wiser.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of us would never think anyone is an idiot for asking questions. Better to ask then assume and make a mistake especially if you risk being hurt or worse.

Some of us would never think anyone is an idiot for asking questions. Better to ask then assume and make a mistake especially if you risk being hurt or worse.

+1

Agree 100%

I would say responsibility isn't the right word. I'm all for helping people out when I can and all. I'll ride normally and not do anything crazy with noobs but I think the responsibility is a new persons issue. They need to be responsible to either ask questions or make sure they take a course. This whole "I'mma 20 something and I know it all" or the "my buddy started on a 1000 I'll be fine" attitude are a lot of what's wrong. Some can and do start off big but the majority cannot. I'm all for helping anyone or offering any advice I can. We all started somewhere and I'd rather friends or even just new rides would ask anything. When they don't is when things can go wrong.

+1 to this.

I've met a lot of new riders. One that sticks out to me I met at KC a few weeks ago. The first thing he did was tell us that he got his ZX-6R a few weeks ago and it's his first bike. He then asked what to watch out for. I told him about throttle control, body position for cornering, target fixation, chain maintenance, and recognizing his body's warning signs when going out of his comfort zone. It's really rewarding watching a new rider absorb all that info and apply it; you can see them slowly improve their cornering techniques and their comfort level going up.

On the flip side, I've met some ppl who tell me they just started this year and take the Lawerence ramps at 130km/h entry speed. I just smile, nod my head, and make a mental note to not associate myself with them.

There are no stupid questions...even questions like "how do I wash my bike" =D Everyone has their own ritual.

I just started riding and I keep forgetting to turn off the signal.. haha .
The course I took years ago drilled into my head CANCEL CANCEL CANCEL after every turn, cancel your signals three times. Eventually It will become habit!

Couple things I learned early on (before I took any course or heeded advice)
-if you're on your bike and backing up down an incline, be gentle on the brakes!
-turning into a gas station or off a road, the curb can be mighty slippery if it's wet.
-One thing that scared me the most, I downshifted MID CORNER on a rainy morning in Vancouver. Luckily I was going slow, but I could tell that I could have been in major trouble.
Since learning some of these valuable lessons, I have taken a riding course and now have a few years of experience under my belt. Also, my dad is now an instructor so I watch, learn, and ask whenever we go riding. There's always something to learn from somebody!

The course I took years ago drilled into my head CANCEL CANCEL CANCEL after every turn, cancel your signals three times. Eventually It will become habit!

+1 for this. Driving behind someone with them on makes me postal

You will make mistakes, depending if you took a course(still gonna make mistakes as you learn) or if a friend taught you(probably more mistakes and most likely picked up a good chunk of bad habits).
I have made quite a few since i started riding, most notably, not downshifting to first when stopped or downshifting to a lower gear when slowing down and stalling in an intersection and dropping my bike in my driveway.

I have left my turn signal on too long and i ride the speed limit(or 10 over) depending on traffic around me.

I ride at my comfort zone, not at anyone else's. Don't listen to people who tell you, that you have to speed, lane split etc. Do what is most comfortable for you while you ride, if you ride the speed limit, then do it.
If you take a little longer to shift gears safely, do it. You will get better then more you ride, things will get easier and more natural.

If you try to do it too fast, try to keep up with your friends etc. You won't learn properly and you will most likely develop some bad habits.

I always suggest taking a course(RTI for example). I took the RTI course for my M2, because I wanted to learn to ride the proper way.

It's quite helpful and you learn basic skills and starts you off with good habits.

Shane

Back
Top Bottom