What did you do to your Race/Track Bike today - 2014 | Page 84 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do to your Race/Track Bike today - 2014

Re: What did you do to your Race/Track Bike today - 2015

So what's a reasonable cost to have a stock motor cracked open/refreshed?

Depends on who's doing it but I would expect to pay at least $1500.

Why are you getting a stock motor refreshed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on who's doing it but I would expect to pay at least $1500.

Why are you getting a stock motor refreshed?

No particular reason really other than preventative maintenance. Now it just sounds like a waste of money. Lol

It'd be nice to have a choice. My 600 felt like a 400 in the last few races this year. :(

How many miles? If they're low you can get away with a bottom end refresh but if you've got higher mileage and are concerned with having a good motor you'll be into replacing valves and those alone are $1600.

$1500 gets the bottom end opened +parts same goes with the top unless prices have changed in the last year.

Pick a reputable engine builder with a proven track record for building reliable race motors. There are a number of builders and machine shops in the region who will happily take your money and hand you a tidy little time bomb. Some bikes are more expensive than others, eg. The top end of any bike with Ti valves (GSX-R600/750, R6. etc...) will very likely have a finite service life. This service life will shrink exponentially with the pace of the rider and replacement Ti valves can be very expensive.

Call around and ask fellow racers with similar bikes regarding their builders and see if they were happy and about any possible issues they suffered if they neglected their service schedule.

No particular reason really other than preventative maintenance. Now it just sounds like a waste of money. Lol

IMO with a stock motor it's not worth doing a full rebuild/refresh. If you have a built motor you really should be doing a refresh every year.

Check your valve clearances annually and stay on top of your oil changes (every other day on the track).

A stock motor should last a long time. My 04 ZX10R race bike with 34,000km on it was still making 161hp on the Nat'l dyno and ran fine.

I had windmill motorsports over to take a full geometry and exact measurements with his optical 3D coordinate measuring machine (no idea, i just ride, but its a cool tool). so when the bike goes back together, its in the same set up as it won in

https://www.facebook.com/WindmillMotorsports?fref=ts

IMO with a stock motor it's not worth doing a full rebuild/refresh.
My friend has a YEC intake cam for my bike he'll give me for free but I need to get the YEC valve spring kit. Would it be worth getting the cam installed, engine refreshed, polished/ported, shaved head (if that still work with the cam), etc? Kinda a shame not to do a balanced crank at the same time but $$$ :(

My friend has a YEC intake cam for my bike he'll give me for free but I need to get the YEC valve spring kit. Would it be worth getting the cam installed, engine refreshed, polished/ported, shaved head (if that still work with the cam), etc? Kinda a shame not to do a balanced crank at the same time but $$$ :(

Realistically, I don't think so. Your free cam is going to cost you a few thousand to do the build you describe..... that's a lot of tires and trackdays.

Sounds like that free cam is going to cost you $5k+.

You'd get better results by flying down to the U.S. and going to a good school two or three times instead.

Put it on a dyno first and look for any tell-tale signs that it even needs considering. Agree with the other post, check valve clearances, do a leak down and if it's all good then keep riding as is.

Realistically, I don't think so. Your free cam is going to cost you a few thousand to do the build you describe..... that's a lot of tires and trackdays.
Damn, thanks for the info.

You'd get better results by flying down to the U.S. and going to a good school two or three times instead.
If I was allowed in the USA :)

How many miles? If they're low you can get away with a bottom end refresh but if you've got higher mileage and are concerned with having a good motor you'll be into replacing valves and those alone are $1600.

$1500 gets the bottom end opened +parts same goes with the top unless prices have changed in the last year.

Pick a reputable engine builder with a proven track record for building reliable race motors. There are a number of builders and machine shops in the region who will happily take your money and hand you a tidy little time bomb. Some bikes are more expensive than others, eg. The top end of any bike with Ti valves (GSX-R600/750, R6. etc...) will very likely have a finite service life. This service life will shrink exponentially with the pace of the rider and replacement Ti valves can be very expensive.

Call around and ask fellow racers with similar bikes regarding their builders and see if they were happy and about any possible issues they suffered if they neglected their service schedule.

IMO with a stock motor it's not worth doing a full rebuild/refresh. If you have a built motor you really should be doing a refresh every year.

Check your valve clearances annually and stay on top of your oil changes (every other day on the track).

A stock motor should last a long time. My 04 ZX10R race bike with 34,000km on it was still making 161hp on the Nat'l dyno and ran fine.

Put it on a dyno first and look for any tell-tale signs that it even needs considering. Agree with the other post, check valve clearances, do a leak down and if it's all good then keep riding as is.

All valid points, thanks for the input everyone.

Advantages or disadvantages of running a 5.75" rear wheel instead of the standard 5.5 on a 600?

Advantages or disadvantages of running a 5.75" rear wheel instead of the standard 5.5 on a 600?

Better for running a 190 or 200 rear. Better edge grip but it's a heavier rim and tire combo.

For a track day bike? No. Besides the cost, almost always, "performance" camshafts have longer duration and lift, which will tip the balance towards top end power but cost bottom-end and mid-range. Likewise with the usual "porting and polishing". If you are riding at any place other than Mosport, and maybe Calabogie, having mid-range is a good thing. And, IF you are in a position to take advantage of top end power, it means revving the engine higher ... which will shorten its life by a lot. How much do you want to win a track day at Mosport ... and lose badly at TMP or Grand Bend or Shannonville?

My Fizzer 400 vintage race bike has *smaller* intake ports than stock. Peak power is about the same but the torque curve starts getting decent at 7000 rpm instead of 9000 rpm, which is a big difference on tighter tracks.

New race bike comes home on Saturday.

New race bike comes home on Saturday.

Go on.......

Pics please!

I took the bike out of trailer and put it in garage. Built a shelving unit and organized/labelled "oh ****" bins. Siphoned out gas. Still haven't gotten water or battery out, but battery needs to be replaced this year regardless. It'll be 12.

Back
Top Bottom