What did you do to your Race/Track Bike today - 2014 | Page 46 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do to your Race/Track Bike today - 2014

Today I finally started working on NAFTA.

- Checked front brake rotors, replaced bent right rotor.
- Removed rear wheel and stored both wheels in the basement for winter.
- Inspected fork lowers for damage, luckily they are fine.
- Removed right side frame slider and replaced with OEM bolt (no more frame sliders).
- Inspected engine mounts for cracks, luckily they are also fine.
- Replaced smashed upper fairing/cluster bracket with a $20 Hong Kong version. It is identical to the OEM bracket except it doesn't have any numbers punched in it.
- Straightened the right side CFM Woodcraft rearset enough that it doesn't touch the swingarm now.
- Removed the tank in prep for Motion Pro Revolver installation :)

15565778848_b1336fbbd0_o.jpg

Last edited:
Started the bike to let the coolant mix with whatever water is left inside, then sat on it for 10 min making vroomm vroomm sounds realizing that I freaking miss racing

Spent 1.5hrs and got the bike ready to drop the motor out. Maybe one year I won't have to do this.

Thought it was this year? What happened dude?

Nothing happened and I'm trying to keep it that way, just new main/rod bearings over the winter. Once this motors out I'll be reassembling my Gsxr finally.

Nothing happened and I'm trying to keep it that way, just new main/rod bearings over the winter. Once this motors out I'll be reassembling my Gsxr finally.
That's the bike you just built this year correct? As a not track guy I'm genuinely curious, are bearings and such something that you do every season to a track bike?

That's the bike you just built this year correct? As a not track guy I'm genuinely curious, are bearings and such something that you do every season to a track bike?

Yup that's the bike. It's definatly not standard practice for most but the more serious you get the more you depend on a bike to run trouble free for the entire season. After having a bearing failure and seeing the cost to fix things I'd prefer to stay a step ahead. There's also been several street riders that have spun bearings on these bikes so I'm not willing to take any chances.

My personal maintenance is bearings and valve retainers every 2 seasons. This way everything is inspected and the two cheap items that can cause a catastrophic failure are replaced.

Put the duc in the basement workshop. Hasn't turned a wheel since my crash in SOAR round 4. Woodcraft 3-part clipons fitted up, more or less. Trying to get the R6 throttle tube working properly. Supposed to be quicker turn (which it is) but it is not very smooth. Probably need to be modified slightly. Have all the repair parts and even paint on hand now so plan to just pick away at it over the winter.

Put the duc in the basement workshop. Hasn't turned a wheel since my crash in SOAR round 4. Woodcraft 3-part clipons fitted up, more or less. Trying to get the R6 throttle tube working properly. Supposed to be quicker turn (which it is) but it is not very smooth. Probably need to be modified slightly. Have all the repair parts and even paint on hand now so plan to just pick away at it over the winter.
How is the finger? have you got one of these yet?
stock-photo-robot-hand-100106294.jpg

It depends on the bike, it depends on the state of tune.

Some engines need to come apart to fix weak points before you race them, some need certain parts replaced now and again that are definitely not on the maintenance schedule in the owner's book.

Engines tuned for max power often have drastic lifetime-shortening things done to them. Stock engines (with weak points fixed as needed) should live a long time, even with track use. High-lift camshafts? Better check the valve springs and retainers frequently. Rev limit extended beyond stock? Rod bearings, and con-rods themselves, may become wear items, and that's on top of potential valvetrain issues. Bottom-end bearings select-fit to reduce friction ... oil pump slowed down to reduce drag ... better replace main and rod bearings frequently, because idling may cook them (not enough oil supply).

R6
- QS ordered
- PC installed
- Master cylinder ordered
- Front and rear sprockets ordered
- Rear shock removed for rebuilt

SV650
- Body parts removed for painting
- New sprockets ordered
- New 1/4 turn throttle ordered

CBR250s
- New sprockets and air filters are in
- Clip ons ordered
- New Header pipe installed

3rd CBR250 going back to street setup
- nothing done yet

What's a fuel injector? :)

Only problem is the bike is getting old like the rider

My fav year, nice :) Only four fuel injectors right? Much simpler for PC and QS (on the 06 and up the PC only cuts four of the eight fuel injectors for the QS, so not the smoothest option).

Yanked out my motor and dropped it off at Z1. I hate that I'm getting good at this.

Today I finally started working on NAFTA.

- Checked front brake rotors, replaced bent right rotor.
- Removed rear wheel and stored both wheels in the basement for winter.
- Inspected fork lowers for damage, luckily they are fine.
- Removed right side frame slider and replaced with OEM bolt (no more frame sliders).
- Inspected engine mounts for cracks, luckily they are also fine.
- Replaced smashed upper fairing/cluster bracket with a $20 Hong Kong version. It is identical to the OEM bracket except it doesn't have any numbers punched in it.
- Straightened the right side CFM Woodcraft rearset enough that it doesn't touch the swingarm now.
- Removed the tank in prep for Motion Pro Revolver installation :)

15565778848_b1336fbbd0_o.jpg

Today I installed the new tail tray. Steady progress...

It looks like you need me to come over and scatter some tools and bike parts around your garage.

It looks like you need me to come over and scatter some tools and bike parts around your garage.

LOL... Maybe. I've got a tool cart and workbench both covered in tools and parts. Only the floor is clean ;)

Back
Top Bottom