What did you do OR have to do to your Race/Track Bike 2016 | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do OR have to do to your Race/Track Bike 2016

When I was buying wheels for my bike at $500ea used, I was starting to think "It's too bad we're not allowed to use aftermarket wheels." After seeing the cost of those (I know not all are the same) I'm more then happy about it.

I'm sure you'll feel a difference, 9lbs is HUGE!

When I was buying wheels for my bike at $500ea used, I was starting to think "It's too bad we're not allowed to use aftermarket wheels." After seeing the cost of those (I know not all are the same) I'm more then happy about it.

I'm sure you'll feel a difference, 9lbs is HUGE!

I hope so, OEM rims have become much better lately but the cost of them becoming lighter and better has also gone up. R1M OEM rims... $4800.00 I was told. I haven't actually confirmed this but a friend quoted a set from a dealer and that is what he claimed they were listed at... Ouch!!!

Thank you ; Mikey Moto, RotoBox CF, Blue Streak Racing, JT Sprockets, HiFlo Filters, Champion Cycle, Kennedy Motorsports, Dyno-Jet. For your help and support.
www.cementheadracing.ca

I hope so, OEM rims have become much better lately but the cost of them becoming lighter and better has also gone up. R1M OEM rims... $4800.00 I was told. I haven't actually confirmed this but a friend quoted a set from a dealer and that is what he claimed they were listed at... Ouch!!!

Thank you ; Mikey Moto, RotoBox CF, Blue Streak Racing, JT Sprockets, HiFlo Filters, Champion Cycle, Kennedy Motorsports, Dyno-Jet. For your help and support.
www.cementheadracing.ca

The new R1 wheels are pretty damn nice but I've heard they're quite heavy. $4800 for wheels from the factory is insane.

Of all the OEM wheels I've changed tires on, 2009 R1 wheels are the lightest. Especially the rear. Even KTM Marchesini wheels are heavier.

Goddam that's a lotta money. Nice wheels but.... Damn.

It is, I looked at an engine build or rims.. Rims cheaper and don't require race fuel...lol
I'm scared to see race fuel prices for 2016 with the dollar the way it is.

www.cementheadracing.ca

It is, I looked at an engine build or rims.. Rims cheaper and don't require race fuel...lol
I'm scared to see race fuel prices for 2016 with the dollar the way it is.

www.cementheadracing.ca

Engine builds don't require race fuel - fact.

I could gain another 8-9hp running MR12 but I don't need 190hp or the $300/weekend fuel bill.

You'll probably drop more off your lap time with the wheels.

Engine builds don't require race fuel - fact.

I could gain another 8-9hp running MR12 but I don't need 190hp or the $300/weekend fuel bill.

You'll probably drop more off your lap time with the wheels.

Your correct , a good top end comes close to my cost of rims. But at my age I'll be heading towards just doing endurance soon... A lot of fun, less cost.
As for power I'm getting beat by 600's so growing balls is far more beneficial...lol

www.cementheadracing.ca

Did you already get a lightweight battery?

Yup, anti gravity. 8 cell...

www.cementheadracing.ca

Sounds about right, both the R1 and R1M come stock with magnesium wheels.

What will this do for the ride? What difference do you expect to feel? I know lighter wheels can improve acceleration and lower unsprung weight makes suspension behave differently but I've never known anyone to make such a huge change. I'm curious :)

I have Dymag wheels on my 400. They cost about the same as the bike did when I bought it ... but ... there are no good tires available in 18" sizes any more, so something had to be done. Legal in vintage (and I got this in writing) because they are a type and style that were available in the period. (Carbon fiber isn't allowed)

The suspension works better on choppy pavement, having less unsprung weight lets the wheels follow the pavement better. One of the reasons I dismissed the more common approach, of adapting 17" wheels from some other bike to fit, is that all of the other viable choices are heavier than the stock fizzer 18" rear rim.

It also made it easier to change directions. The fizzer isn't a heavy-steering bike to begin with, but it's even better now. It helps the olde phat rider finish a race ...

On the bad side, the "cush drives" supplied with these wheels are totally inadequate - FAR too stiff - and may have contributed to a broken transmission that I had in the first year using them. I re-engineered these so that there is decent compliance in the cush drive.

Your correct , a good top end comes close to my cost of rims. But at my age I'll be heading towards just doing endurance soon... A lot of fun, less cost.
As for power I'm getting beat by 600's so growing balls is far more beneficial...lol

www.cementheadracing.ca

Could just lay off the chips for a 9lb reduction:D

Still looking for a steering damper for a 03 R6, if anyone hears of one please let me know. I think I may just have to buy new

Installed new (lighter) fork springs and fork oil flush/fill. Rerouted the rear brake hose through the new hose guide (old one was broken for years). Removed brake side rearset and disassembled the brake pivot because it's always had some play even though everything was tight. Going to get a wave washer to take up the wiggle so I don't have to explain it every time at tech inspection.

Anybody wear a mouth guard?

My gf does when she sleeps because she grinds her teeth. She said if she gets a matching guard for the bottom teeth I get a gummer!

But in regards to on the track I don't (it would make my in-helmet cursing sound funny).

Back
Top Bottom