What are your ***-comfort secrets? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What are your ***-comfort secrets?

I ride with a hydration knapsack all the time. For me, staying hydrated goes a long way to keeping my mind and body alert and this in turn helps me keep my muscles and joints and everything stay proper for the long haul..

I can't tolerate a stock seat for more than 45 minutes. First I tried one of those cheap crappy tire gel seat covers for $10. Then I got a sheepskin seat cover. Then I got a OEM gel seat. I tried all of them together and that would take me to around 2-3 hours. Then I tried a Corbin and now I can do 300-400km before needing to stop. Twisty roads all day no problem, but straight roads are my nemesis.

I also use highway pegs, a throttle lock, a cramp buster and have a set of ATV bars that have less vibration and a higher sweep. It all adds up.

Hey @PrivatePilot I have a pair so I am confident that they come in your size as I don't recall you being bigger than I.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

I can lend you a bead seat if u want to try it out or even take it with you for this trip

Sorry don't have any better pictures

rKCJYKz.jpg

zd3ReKr.jpg

Last edited:
Air circulation is the key.Really long rides are on beaded things cut down from walmart.

I'm with WingBoy on this one. There's a reason cabbies all over the world use wooden beaded seat covers. I too bought cheap one and cut it down/restrung it to the size i needed.

That and a comfy bike are all you need. (my comfy ride is klr650 with fold out highway pegs )

Taking breaks always helps.

Riding the the right bike helps...
Something that has range and power as well as being comfortable to begin with.
I added a taller touring screen and a Sargent seat to my fjr which turned the bike into an all day rider...

You will remember from your equestrian days to "suck it up buttercup" lol. The reality is if your sitting on a couch for 8 hours watching tv, your going to get a sore ***. I remember getting a $800 (with shipping) corbin seat for my zx11 only to find it made little difference. Looking at the zx10r seat prior to buying the bike, I thought it would be murderous. It's easily 1/3 the thickness and twice as hard. It turns out the zx10r seat is much more comfortable as it fits the *** better. 10r seat doesn't squish the 'boys' and offers greater *** contact, making it a far better ride. The seat does make a difference but the shape of it is paramount for comfort. Stand on your foot pegs now and then, shift around with different riding positions, take breaks (short walks help), drag (without actually touching the road) your feet near the road to stretch your legs etc and still end up cramped, sore, semi broken and just a little tougher for your next ride. Happy apexes

Bicycle shorts with the padding are actually not that great on a motorcycle. Yes, the padding is nice for the first while, but the padding still has seems at the edges. On a bicycle this isn't an issue because the bicycle seat is smaller than the padded area on the shorts. A motorcycle seat is wider and you sit much differently on it than you do on a bicycle. You will still come in contact with and be irritated by the seams, just in different spots vs traditional undies.

EVERYONE on the IronButt forum swears by LD Comfort Men's riding shorts. http://ldcomfort.com/Mens-Riding-Shorts.html They are supposed to be the gold standard in comfort for motorcycle riding. Unfortunately I doubt they could get you a pair in the amount time you have left. It sounds like it takes them a few weeks to get an order to Canada. I will be ordering mine when I come back from our family camping trip next week. After my SS1000 ride I am definitely willing to spend the $$ for a pair of these!

Thx all for the pointers, and for those who have PM'd me I'll get back to you at some point today - just got home from a wedding and the last 3-5 days have been a bit crazy.

Bicycle shorts with the padding are actually not that great on a motorcycle. Yes, the padding is nice for the first while, but the padding still has seems at the edges. On a bicycle this isn't an issue because the bicycle seat is smaller than the padded area on the shorts. A motorcycle seat is wider and you sit much differently on it than you do on a bicycle. You will still come in contact with and be irritated by the seams, just in different spots vs traditional undies.

EVERYONE on the IronButt forum swears by LD Comfort Men's riding shorts. http://ldcomfort.com/Mens-Riding-Shorts.html They are supposed to be the gold standard in comfort for motorcycle riding. Unfortunately I doubt they could get you a pair in the amount time you have left. It sounds like it takes them a few weeks to get an order to Canada. I will be ordering mine when I come back from our family camping trip next week. After my SS1000 ride I am definitely willing to spend the $$ for a pair of these!

the Motoskivvies are specifically made for motorcycles rather than pedal bikes, the padding is very different in them (Ive used both).

air hawk I agree with

another thing, seamless clothing

found out by trial and error, most comfortable ride ever

was with no gitch, just my under armor moisture wickers

under the textile riding pants

no seams from gitch or jeans, magic

The seamless thing has been on my mind, but short of jogging pants (yeah, not riding in those) what's seamless anymore? I always ride in jeans, and yes, I've always suspected that the seams (and the resulting pressure points) is what leads to some of my discomfort. Boxers bunching up underneath the jeans probably isn't helping either.

The seamless thing has been on my mind, but short of jogging pants (yeah, not riding in those) what's seamless anymore? I always ride in jeans, and yes, I've always suspected that the seams (and the resulting pressure points) is what leads to some of my discomfort. Boxers bunching up underneath the jeans probably isn't helping either.
Jeans? Seriously? Boxer briefs and riding pants! I mean if you're spending the day on the bike, why the hell would you wear anything else?

That's a facepalm right there.

The only time I am not in jeans is when I'm sleeping, wearing shorts, or at weddings and funerals. All other times are barely negotiable. ;)

Last edited:
LOL! I'd noticed nobody mentioned riding pants (until JavaFan), figured it was too obvious to mention. Guess not.

LOL! I'd noticed nobody mentioned riding pants (until JavaFan), figured it was too obvious to mention. Guess not.
Yes, jeans for the long distance stuff is a recipe for uncomfortable. Boxers and riding pants are best. Fleece liners when it's really cold out.

Will contemplate the purpose built riding pants...but that whole "funerals and weddings" thing is pretty firm LOL.

I know, I know...fail to take the advice, deal with the consequences - I would be the first person to preach exactly that. ;)

I'm going back and forth between an Airhawk (klr_guy PM'd me with an offer I may not be able to refuse, I just need to measure and see if it's a fit) or a cut down bead seat at this point. I've never ridden on an Airhawk (short of around the block on my wifes scoot after an oil change or whatnot) so I don't really have much of a frame of reference, but I do know that most (but not all) people that own them love them.

I guess, as I mentioned before, I could just take both and wing it....since neither take up a lot of space and I have no shortage of storage.

In terms of underwear, I didn't really like bicycle shorts or find them to help much. Mostly the extra foam just made my butt even hotter, which is not what I wanted.

I do however really like the "pouch" style underwear like 2UNDR or SAXX for riding. It keeps the man parts in the right place, which avoids all of the indelicate re-positioning that goes along with unstructured undies.

The only time I am not in jeans is when I'm sleeping, wearing shorts, or at weddings and funerals. All other times are barely negotiable. ;)

I'm almost on board with PrivatePilot on this one. Riding pants over the jeans. But sometimes I just crawl into the tent take off my boots, put in the ear plugs and crash with the jeans still on. On my last trip it was day four before I even broke a clean t-shirt.

Like Wingboy stated, air circulation is key. Chaffing is the enemy and much worse with any moisture so use the listed options to fix that.
I've done 5000km in 8 days on a stock seat GSXR 1000 with no issues wearing padded shorts under JR riding jeans. On my cruiser that distance is even easier. I use the chamois bicycle underwear designed to be worn under regular shorts (thinner material than true bicycle shorts).

Back
Top Bottom