Well it happened.... | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Well it happened....

Drivers involved in property damage collisions MUST report within twenty four hours to a Collision Reporting Centre, where a police officer inspects the vehicle damage.

http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/traffic/collision.php

I believe you only have 24hrs or 48 hrs to report a collision to police/collision center. Insurance I'm not sure how long you have. I thought the guy that hit you was in a company work Truck? If that's the case he probably doesn't really care about the damage to the truck. So why would he care about paying you.

First off I'd get to a reporting station a.s.a.p. and report what happened.

Then call my insurance.

Get the bike appraised and hopefully they can tell that the damage was from him backing over you.

Write down everything that happened and date it. People forget over time, and begin to turn things more and more to their own favour.

Last edited:
If you intend to make a claim on your insurance for a repair, there must be a police report.
Go to a Collision Reporting Centre and fill out a report.
Someone who tells you at the time they will pay for the damage will deny ever saying it a week later.
I never needed one for 3 different claims.

Glad to hear you are ok. I agree with the others when they say the truck should be 100% at fault for backing up on a roadway (without checking if the way is clear)...but that said, with no witnesses, it would be easy to blame you are vehicle behind. With no real proof, it might be considered 50/50.

Like someone else mentioned, I'm seriously starting to go the camera 100% of the time route. I have a Drift Ghost that I use in the twisties, but I'm actually starting to use it when commuting now as well, and just deleting the footage if nothing happens. Also looking at putting a dashcam in the car, but haven't done that yet (probably will in the fall).

go to reporting center IMO . If he claims u drove into him, and there's a conflict, it may be a 50/50 claim as there isn't a way to quantify either story. GoPro would of helped in this case.

Don't trust him. U don't have he's policy number and other insurance info.
Go to the police station and make a report.
And then call him and start negotiating.
Be polite and and try to get the most out of him.

Well I tried to be a nice guy and give him a chance to settle, I asked for 500 to cover the issue, he comes back with 300, I say no it's 500 or I report it in the morning, he says he will not just give out 500, and I can get 3 quotes for him and then take it from there, I told him to stuff it, I am not wasting my time with running around to get 3 quotes, and he can have a good night, in the morning I will be reporting the incident to the police and then to my insurance company, and he can deal with the consequences, I was being more than fair, but his mindset is somewhere else...

Ohhhh well, can't say I didn't try, I gave him and I will give most the benefit of the doubt, but it seems it's just not worth it...sad indeed...

I believe it's his truck there was no signs on the truck, his business card shows he is a general contractor, I can only assume he works for himself, but hey I was wrong about him being a descent guy also....

Everything is in emails, including the entire incident as of this morning, so all is fully documented, no need to rely on memory on this one, and this includes pictures of his truck, plate and the damage to my bike.

And I might have a witness, seems a coworker was a few cars behind and saw most of it, he went around us, but he did not realize it was me so he did not stop, but when I started talking about it at work, he goes to me, so that was you at the corner......had I known I would have stopped to see if you needed anything....

that might help me out....

The camera might be a good idea, it's just in close to 30 years of riding on and off, this is my first involvement in an accident....

So basically I am done being a nice guy, I did try, but all he is doing now is insulting me, he can deal with what ever happens after the reports are filed.....

Stay tuned, as I don't know how long this will take to resolve, but I will try to update as things happen....

Once again many Thanks for the support and the advise, and lesson learned, being a nice guy don't get you far......at least not this time........

Your welcome for the advice from everyone. I am a really nice person as well but it doesn't get you very far in these types of matters. I've learned my lessons. If you give people an inch they want a foot.
Good luck with everything. I think the collision reporting centers are open 24hrs. Probably shouldn't have said anything about reporting to the guy. Just agree with him...ya I will go get quotes......then stick it to him by going through insurance.

I probably wouldn't have just given you $500 for a fender and tire, either unless I was really concerned about my rates. Unless I missed a post detailing more damage.

I wouldn't cry over $500 and risk having my insurance increase ..... unless ..... I planned on reporting it and blaming you before you did.

I sent you a PM on how to be prepared. Been there one too many times.

I probably wouldn't have just given you $500 for a fender and tire, either unless I was really concerned about my rates. Unless I missed a post detailing more damage.

I outlined the cost of the repair to him in my email, it was not just a made up number, I was trying to be fair with him, he has so far rejected this, so in the morning, a report will be made, and lets see what happens, then a full and proper assessment will be made and I can tell you the bill will be more than 500 dollars, but his insurance can deal with it and him.

I wouldn't cry over $500 and risk having my insurance increase ..... unless ..... I planned on reporting it and blaming you before you did.

I sent you a PM on how to be prepared. Been there one too many times.

Thanks, replied to your email, I am a early riser, report will be in by the time the sun rises, unless he did it already or gets up early, he will be 2nd in line...

People here in Toronto don't do the right thing. I'm unsure about the rest of Canada

I'm actually sad that many riders here said to immediately report the crash, as he will not pay, and I'm one of them, and then to be proven correct. This is a negative reflection on the people here in Toronto. You gave him a chance, and that's good on you. Anyway, let insurance take over. Thankfully you were not hurt and only money is required to make things right.

My first accident was last year on my bike, when a older lady backed into my bike also. I went under her bumper also and wedged my tire and front fender. Luckily no tire damage and the fender received a few hairline fractures, noticeable only when you rebend it .
I was at the border crossing at Lewiston and the next in line to see the border crossing agent. She overshot the stop line before the agent , corrected , reversed and backed into me. Agent saw what happened and came out and asked what i want to do. He forced the lady to pull over. She was distraught and scared as a lot was going on.
I told her its an old bike and should only cost $200-300 for fender and to stay cool. exchanged info and we were on our way.
Found a used fender on ebay for $100 US , informed the other party and received a cheque in the mail for $200.
I never did replace the fender as I can live with with but if I ever want to sell will have to replace.
I think it was a fair deal for the both us. Luckily she was nice and accepted her mistake.

I think it was a fair deal for the both us. Luckily she was nice and accepted her mistake.

However... many peeps just tell you what you want to hear after the incident... You give them TBOTD, and a few days later, they completely change their tune.... BTDT!!!

Well to be fair to the truck driver, unless one is involved with bikes, it would seem to most that a 30 year bike fender isn't going to be $500 to repair, (they try to compare it in their mind to hitting a 15 year old civic..lol). So he probably just "assumed" you were trying to inflate the cost, (cause as well all know a contractor would never inflate a cost)..lmao.

When I got rear ended last year by a sport bike on my bike initially I thought it was minimal damage to my bike. The insurance paid out just over $8000 to put the bike back to it's pre accident condition. I would have guesstimated maybe $3,000.

But this is all moot as you have reported already just trying to add perspective.

This is truly a tough one. If he decides to be a dik and not pay for damages, your stuck. If you report it to police without witnesses and/or video it will truly come down to he said/he said. At which point he will, (if he is smart), not go with the "you shouldn't have been there", but rather the "he rear ended me". I he does that and you have reported it to police, and your insurer, there are two potential outcomes niether of which are great. First you get a ticket, (likely for follow too close). second your insurer rules it is an at fault for you.

This is exactly why I now have two cameras, (one on the handlebar mount facing forward and one on the backrest mount facing to the rear). I was basically sideswiped three weeks ago by a guy who came into my lane to pass me on the right. He reported it to police and insurance as I had hit him. His insurer called me for the video as they were declaring me at fault. i said no video for you, MY insurer can have it police can have it but not you. Seems once he discovered he was on video his "story" changed.

Is this not making a false statement to the police? Could the jerk have been charged? Could the victim force the issue?

You should've reported it immediately........ Both of you were on a roadway. You both left the scene of an accident and did not exchange insurance info and did not report to police. I know that sounds harsh ,but here's why I mention it. Few weeks ago one of my truck drivers is pulling out of a narrow laneway btwn 2 houses. Flashing lights and going slow. Gets onto the sidewalk and young man runs into the truck with his bicycle. No injuries but wants us to pay for the bike. Few days later lawyer says go ahead and pay to get rid of him after signing a waiver but the local police phone and demand to speak with the driver as they may want to charge him with the infractions mentioned above,WTF. Didn't get charged in the end but the officer said that ALL incidents,regardless of dollar amount ,should be reported. Even if you only get an incident number you will cover yourself.We've now changed our procedure for any one involved in anything on public property.

Was the cyclist riding on the sidewalk? If so it's illegal in many municipalities. Who then is at fault?

Well Ladies and Gentleman I can't stress enough,,,,call the POLICE......do not go anywhere, do not do anything, do not talk to the person, get the POLICE on scene and proceed from there...

I was being a nice guy, took the guys info and incomplete at that, got a business card and his drivers license number, forgot the insurance info, as he was being nice and said, don't worry, call me and we will work it out....

As I said I sent him an itemized list of possible damage the bike might have, and the costs, I did not try to over price anything and figured in getting a new fender, getting it painted, getting it put back on, and have the bike checked our for any further dame was well within 500 bucks he declined offered me 200, I declined, he said for me to get 3 quotes, I told him he can deal with his insurance company....

That was all on Friday, the next day Saturday I went to make a police report, rode the bike to the Police Station, walked in was told if it's not over a thousand bucks they were not interested and I don't need a report, officer came out, looked at the bike and said that isn't over a grand in damage, I asked him if he was a bike mechanic or a body man, from what I see based on his uniform he is neither, but is a cop and what does he know about costs involved in fixing a bike, he did not like this and asked we go back inside to the station, I asked for what, he said he will get the insurance info from the truck driver if he can reach him on the phone, this much he did, and that was it, I was free to go on my way, I asked if they were going to do anything about the truck driver as this is what happened, I started to tell the story, he stopped me and said he don't want to hear it, it now becomes a he said she said, and why didn't I call the police when it happened, I said OK fair enough, but would you have come out for damages under a grand, NO, we would have told you to go and report it at a collision center, well, WTF do you think I am doing now.....What stupidity.......

So today I call my insurance company, tell them the story and all is great, told it's not my fault no increase in premiums and I should get a call tomorrow from the adjuster, but,,,,,hold on there is more......

Was told if the DINK, says I ran into him, it will be a 50/50 fault, and guess what, my premiums will go up, from 30 to 40 percent and will be slowly coming down over the next 10 years....WTF I did nothing and I am going to get dinged....well too late now to do anything as they have already started a claim.....

So being a nice guy don't get you anywhere but in the poor house, a record on your insurance, and the bike, well fix it yourself would have been the better course....

Truck driver almost, could have, possibly killed me by reversing into me, he gets off Scott Free, and I am left with BS for the next 10 years

What a great system we have, and the people we live with....

Once again.....CALL THE POLICE, get them on scene and tell them what happened....otherwise you will have a headache for years to come......

NO more being a nice guy believe you me....

I will add to this post once I know officially if I am going to get nailed with this 50/50 crap, or will I be at no fault and the truck drive well pay the piper.....

Stay tuned

Was told if the DINK, says I ran into him, it will be a 50/50 fault, and guess what, my premiums will go up, from 30 to 40 percent and will be slowly coming down over the next 10 years....

So let me get this correct... You've been riding for 30+ years without such as a murmer of a claim. This case may come down to a 50/50 end result of a sub 1000$ claim (<500$ for your share) and your Ins. Co. is going to increase your premium by 40% for the next 10 years... gradually decreasing... over that 10 years. Something very, very wrong with that picture dude... How much is your current premium if you don't mind me asking...

Have you been with the same Ins. Co. for the entire 30+ years?

If you don't mind me asking... how old are you? 50> ?

Truck driver almost, could have, possibly killed me by reversing into me, he gets off Scott Free, and I am left with BS for the next 10 years What a great system we have, and the people we live with....

Yup... Doesn't it make you feel all fuzzy and warm inside... ;)

The world's shoelaces are untied...!!!

Once again.....CALL THE POLICE, get them on scene and tell them what happened....otherwise you will have a headache for years to come......

Unfortunately, as you mentioned, the police will not respond to a fender bender sub 1000$. It would come down to he said / he said anyways...so nothing would have been gained... Except for the possibility that buddy may be driving without insurance and this would have been found out and he would be in deep doo-doo!!!

The world is full of dishonest people and retarded legal policies... He hits You, and you get a shaft up your sphincter... Nice eh!!!

Back
Top Bottom