We Know you Ride, But do you Shoot? | Page 94 | GTAMotorcycle.com

We Know you Ride, But do you Shoot?

Re: We know you ride, but do you Shoot?

Thanks for the offer.

I got an email from Lorrie Orr a couple years ago and she outlined the details.

I think I will go to Silverdale though... as they have a 200 yard rifle range which I need for my 270, and they have an excellent discount for ex military ($200/year instead of $300) -- I think it will still be an expensive first year though, as they require a handgun course and something about an ATT course????

no problem...

almost all ranges are now mandating a handgun course, plus their own safety course so you will probably find that right across the board.

it all depends on what you want out of a club, and what it has to offer besides a shooting range, 200 yards is nice, but I setup my rifles to be 1 inch high from center at 100 yards and that will generally get me 0 at 100 yards

first time members always get hit hard.....unfortunately....

1) you 'need' it when you're buying a firearm. I've simply told them in the past that Im on a waiting list for a club and that was the end of the questioning... maybe its stricter now, maybe not. Try it!

2) yes you can let your membership lapse

When I got my lic I wanted to buy a handgun so bad, online Id get stuck at the payment page where it said gun club. It wouldnt let me go further without imputing a club, and I didnt want to lie. So I called a local shop, they told me I do not have to be a member of a gun club, they could sell me one and state that I plan to join such and such club. And I did, went in bought the gun, got a ATT to only be able to bring it home a few days later, and then when I finally got into a club I got a LATT to be able to bring it from home to my club or any approved range in Ontario. If you let a membership lapse you just cant transport it anywhere, it would be a sage queen from that point until you renew or get another membership elsewhere

I got lots of misinformation before calling that store, everyone saying I have to join a range or club before I could purchase a restricted. After doing more research it seems some other provinces CFO make that a requirement, so people on forums give mixed info based on where they live

Last edited:

When I got my lic I wanted to buy a handgun so bad, online Id get stuck at the payment page where it said gun club. It wouldnt let me go further without imputing a club, and I didnt want to lie. So I called a local shop, they told me I do not have to be a member of a gun club, they could sell me one and state that I plan to join such and such club. And I did, went in bought the gun, got a ATT to only be able to bring it home a few days later, and then when I finally got into a club I got a LATT to be able to bring it from home to my club or any approved range in Ontario. If you let a membership lapse you just cant transport it anywhere, it would be a sage queen from that point until you renew or get another membership elsewhere

I got lots of misinformation before calling that store, everyone saying I have to join a range or club before I could purchase a restricted. After doing more research it seems some other provinces CFO make that a requirement, so people on forums give mixed info based on where they live

These are the new regulations, no gun club membership is required any more....and you get to transport.....

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/n...-09-eng.htm#a2

and even before those, if you wanted to purchase it was not a problem, you just told them you were a collector of firearms and no problem, other than your restricted firearms were more or less safe queens and you would need to apply for a ATT if you ever needed to transport said firearm.

Welp, signed up for the restricted course. April 3rd was the soonest I could get... and going back to the place I got my PAL -- Barrie Gun Club with Dino as the instructor.

Now to start dreaming about which hand guns to get... I think I want one in 22LR for cheap plinking, and then a larger calibre, possibly a revolver.

Do any of you have experience with a Browning Buckmark Camper? Is it a good (and cheap) 22LR pistol?

Silverdale rocks.
They are in process of building a 300yd range, and are planning to build an indoor range as well.

Silverdale rocks.
They are in process of building a 300yd range, and are planning to build an indoor range as well.

If they get an indoor range I just may man up and join there too. I like Silverdale a lot and go in summer with the girls, always good times.

Has anyone here tried plinking on crown land instead of going to shooting range? I know technically it's possible but practically?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone here tried plinking on crown land instead of going to shooting range? I know technically it's possible but practically?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yup, and it can be done with little to no issues, just make sure you are in an area that allows it....

Welp, signed up for the restricted course. April 3rd was the soonest I could get... and going back to the place I got my PAL -- Barrie Gun Club with Dino as the instructor.

Now to start dreaming about which hand guns to get... I think I want one in 22LR for cheap plinking, and then a larger calibre, possibly a revolver.

Do any of you have experience with a Browning Buckmark Camper? Is it a good (and cheap) 22LR pistol?

Don't have the "Camper" - have an older "Nomad" - and some other Brownings. Most of the Brownings I've come across, have been well made - nice fit and finish. They have a reputation for quality and reliability. None of mine have ever been fussy about the brand or type of ammo you feed them. If it fits you and you're happy with the look and price, I'm sure you'll be happy with it. While I'm here - may I suggest that you look at S&W for your revolver. The "586"(blued) or the "686" Stainless are really nice. Very well made, solid HG's, with a really nice trigger. They will chamber .357 Mag., or .38 Spl., if you want a bit less recoil (and a less expensive round). Look around - you should be able to pick up a very nice used one, in the $500 to $600 range - a new one will kick the crap out of $900, with tax.

Scored a mint in box, used Vortex Viper 6.5x20-50mm yesterday for an awesome price.

Btw, a buddy (top-notch IPSC long gun shooter) from the Philippines started a new clothing line - casual wear for gunnutz. Here are my 2 new babies:
1Biq4tu.jpg

Tg28Kzf.jpg

His storefront is at http://dedisdeadeyedesigns.myshopify.com/

Other than Silverdale, what's a decent range near Oakville that allows restricteds, shotguns and rifles and doesn't have a wait list?
I'm already on a wait list for Burlington and Guelph.

Is Silverdale really the "best" range within an hour?

I'd like to find a good option before I throw down 4-500 for memberships + ATT course ********.

Back
Top Bottom