We Know you Ride, But do you Shoot? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

We Know you Ride, But do you Shoot?

I would understand why those would be illegal, because they are so compact and probably has a high rate of fire.
What I don't understand is why is an AK47 illegal, while some variants of it is perfectly legal. I need to do some research now.

This is what an "AK" has to be to be legal here.

More or less... with 4X 5/30 rnd mags.

CZ858-2-CDN_1000.jpg

A few points of clarification for you guys: centerfire bolt action rifles are NOT limited to 5 round magazines, just semi-automatic rifles. I know of one exception to the semi-auto rule, the M1 Garand, which are allowed to keep their 8-round en-bloc magazines. Yes, all full-autos are competely prohibited, and rightfully they should be.

http://rifles.canadaguns.ca/ak-47-canada-ak-74.html

In Canada since January 1, 1995, the AK-47 and its variants are prohibited under the Prohibited Weapons Order, No. 13.[SUP][3][/SUP] Exceptions to this are the Valmet Hunter, the Valmet Hunter Auto, and the Valmet M78 rifles which are based on the AK action.[SUP][4][/SUP] This order created a new class of prohibited firearms in Canada (class 12.5). This classification makes the AK and its variants ordinarily illegal for purchase, acquisition, or import. Individuals in Canada who possessed and registered those firearms before January 1, 1995 were "grandfathered" into this class and thus can continue to possess (and under some circumstances acquire) the AK-47 and its variants.[SUP][5][/SUP]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_status_of_the_AK-47

Couldn't find anything on the RCMP website

http://rifles.canadaguns.ca/ak-47-canada-ak-74.html

In Canada since January 1, 1995, the AK-47 and its variants are prohibited under the Prohibited Weapons Order, No. 13.[SUP][3][/SUP] Exceptions to this are the Valmet Hunter, the Valmet Hunter Auto, and the Valmet M78 rifles which are based on the AK action.[SUP][4][/SUP] This order created a new class of prohibited firearms in Canada (class 12.5). This classification makes the AK and its variants ordinarily illegal for purchase, acquisition, or import. Individuals in Canada who possessed and registered those firearms before January 1, 1995 were "grandfathered" into this class and thus can continue to possess (and under some circumstances acquire) the AK-47 and its variants.[SUP][5][/SUP]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_status_of_the_AK-47

Couldn't find anything on the RCMP website

Weird... maybe it's because the action could be converted to fully automatic very easily? I found this list http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/rp-eng.htm and it looks like the AR action is also prohibited.

CZ is AK for Canada. The one I posted is $750 from Manitoba. Would be cool if you wanted an AK style rifle.

I went to an empty range and got my own version of 3 gun action on. Nice day, low wind.

2645843070034279181S500x500Q85.jpg

100LBS loadout full. This is the majority of it.

2656880300034279181S500x500Q85.jpg

The rest...

2675707340034279181S500x500Q85.jpg

With Comms and clothing it's just shy of the weight. Too heavy to be long range carry but I estimate I could do 10K with it open terrain.... much less through bush.

2599535010034279181S500x500Q85.jpg

Liking that pack... last I remember, Coretac Solutions were carrying them.

D23, when the zombies come can I stay at your place?

The SKS really has no place in the field for hunting. It can be used for deer if a proper hunting bullet is used, and if shots are kept under 100 metres, but I consider the rifle marginal for this purpose. Its a general purpose range plinker. Ammo is cheap (while available), and its a boatload of fun.
I was afraid of that... I'll just justify it as "fun" to my purchasing department and I shouldn't have any problems clearing up the funds.

^^ Is that the gun range by Niagara Falls NY?

The CZ pictured above is "legal" in canada but only resembles the AK, absolutely nothing is interchangeable between the two except for the magazines which have to pinned to 5 rounds.

The reason the M1 Garant gets exempt from the 5 round rule is that it doesnt use a magazine but a stripper clip to load the rounds. By letter of the law the magazines are limited, not the stripper clips.

Bolt action, pump action and lever action center fires are not limited to 5. If you gotta mechanically load a new round in the chamber before pulling the trigger there is no limit. only Semi Autos centerfires are limited to 5.

There are certain configurations of firearms that are prohibited; full-auto, too short, bull-pup, etc... and then there are specific firearms that are prohibited and each are specifically named. Have a gander through this EXTENSIVE list and note that the only reason many of these are prohibited is because they are named on this list;

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/rp-eng.htm

Edit: I see someone already posted the link... oops.

Last edited:
CZ is AK for Canada. The one I posted is $750 from Manitoba. Would be cool if you wanted an AK style rifle.
]

CZ has absolutely nothing to do with an AK other than slight resemblance, to an untrained eye.

Just putting that out there.

^^ Is that the gun range by Niagara Falls NY?

The CZ pictured above is "legal" in canada but only resembles the AK, absolutely nothing is interchangeable between the two except for the magazines which have to pinned to 5 rounds.

The reason the M1 Garant gets exempt from the 5 round rule is that it doesnt use a magazine but a stripper clip to load the rounds. By letter of the law the magazines are limited, not the stripper clips.

Bolt action, pump action and lever action center fires are not limited to 5. If you gotta mechanically load a new round in the chamber before pulling the trigger there is no limit. only Semi Autos centerfires are limited to 5.

yep in Niagara, that's a genuine Russian AK
Some of the toys we play around with
Love your collection

If bullpups are not allowed. How is it certain people own them?
Is that a TAR by the way?

CZ has absolutely nothing to do with an AK other than slight resemblance, to an untrained eye.

Just putting that out there.

Didn't think I would have to state the obvious, as I made pretty good use of "quotes" and "AK like" and "AK style" rifle.

Didn't catch that hu? Where I said this is what an ----> "AK"<----- has to be to be legal here then I posted a CZ???

I forget where I am.

GTAM

:)

Last edited:
technically Bull pups are allowed in Canada as long as they are not on the prohibited list and isnt a gun thats been modified to be a bull pup.

for instance, Tavor Tar21 is legal, yet a bulpup stock for the M14, 10/22 and SKS are illegal as they are gun modifications...

its stupidity in its biggest form made by paper pushers who know nothing about guns.

What's your personal opinion of the P90? I've heard both good and bad.

yep in Niagara, that's a genuine Russian AK

Love your collection

If bullpups are not allowed. How is it certain people own them?
Is that a TAR by the way?

Glad to know someone kept their 12.5, so they could hold onto that AK, never mind I see it on the US side, unless I am reading it wrong ?

Just to clarify....

the top 3 pics are not my collection, but buddies of mine, the rest of the stuff is mine

I love all firearms that go bang, everything and anything should be tried at least once if you get the chance

and unless it's a prohibited firearm there is lots we can have in Canada, and if you still have your 12.5 you get even more toys to have in your possession.

and it's not hard or difficult to get your firearms license, be it for non restricted or restricted, it's a matter of a 1 day or 2 day course, the only thing you no longer can get is your 12.5

a good place to find unique firearms for sale...

http://www.marstar.ca/index2.shtm

Last edited:
for instance, Tavor Tar21 is legal, yet a bulpup stock for the M14, 10/22 and SKS are illegal as they are gun modifications...

I swear I saw an M14 bullpup on CGN a few days ago.

its stupidity in its biggest form made by paper pushers who know nothing about guns.

Like when they say you can bring a Stoner rifle (7.62) in to Canada as a hunting rifle, as long as it doesn't have a scary flash suppressor, but it has to be a restricted weapon. :rolleyes:

Another Bullpup that is legal here is the Kel Tec KSG. It's just taking a very long time to get here....

Back
Top Bottom