We Know you Ride, But do you Shoot? | Page 47 | GTAMotorcycle.com

We Know you Ride, But do you Shoot?

Re: We know you ride, but do you Shoot?

It's interesting that most gun clubs I call have crazy waiting list and yet Silvedale does not, is there a reason why that's so? Both Orangeville clubs have 100+ person waiting list, shame since they're 24km closer to Mississauga than Silverdale. Also, can someone go to your club and get a day pass like Silverdale?

On a side note, it shocking how bad some of these club websites!

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep that in mind when I decide to refinish it over the winter.

I don't believe we have a waiting list that long......I don't think we have enough members as is, now mind you I have not checked in recent months, and we are now in the process of renewal so it might be a good time to check and see....

EDIT - I have found out that we actually do have a waiting list of persons wanting to join our club, go figure, I never thought we were that popular, I better make sure that I renew...
150 are on the waiting list....WOW

we do not have a day pass system, guests must be with a member to use the facility

most of the ranges are run by old guys and are not very tech savy so you can understand the lack lustre of the sites....LOL

here is where I am a member, in case you were looking at some different place....

http://www.dnpaha.org/dnphahome.html

Last edited:

It's interesting that most gun clubs I call have crazy waiting list and yet Silvedale does not, is there a reason why that's so? Both Orangeville clubs have 100+ person waiting list, shame since they're 24km closer to Mississauga than Silverdale. Also, can someone go to your club and get a day pass like Silverdale?

On a side note, it shocking how bad some of these club websites!

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep that in mind when I decide to refinish it over the winter.

I think indoor ranges will always have a longer waiting list. I talked to a guy today at my 2nd brob range shoot, and he told me he signed up there because he wants target rail system, and doesn't want to have to walk out in a cease fire to hang targets...for now I prefer to be a member at an indoor range so I can shoot all year round, and I will go to other ranges as a non member for now. After I get a rifle then I will most likely join silverdale also

EDIT - I have found out that we actually do have a waiting list of persons wanting to join our club, go figure, I never thought we were that popular, I better make sure that I renew...
150 are on the waiting list....WOW

Thanks for checking. It seems that most of the northern ranges have full memberships...

I think indoor ranges will always have a longer waiting list. I talked to a guy today at my 2nd brob range shoot, and he told me he signed up there because he wants target rail system, and doesn't want to have to walk out in a cease fire to hang targets...for now I prefer to be a member at an indoor range so I can shoot all year round, and I will go to other ranges as a non member for now. After I get a rifle then I will most likely join silverdale also

How long do you think it would take before there is an opening to join your club? I think it makes complete sense to be in an indoor range when you only shoot hand guns.

personally, the more I read on other ranges, the more I realize that Silverdale fits my needs (lowest yearly membership, has day passes for non members, gun store right on site, etc.).

Thanks for checking. It seems that most of the northern ranges have full memberships...

How long do you think it would take before there is an opening to join your club? I think it makes complete sense to be in an indoor range when you only shoot hand guns.

personally, the more I read on other ranges, the more I realize that Silverdale fits my needs (lowest yearly membership, has day passes for non members, gun store right on site, etc.).

For me it took about 2 and a half months after signing up for the first available range class, that was this past Sat. And after the class I booked my 3 probationary shoots for Mon, Tues, Wed (today). Now it all depends when you sign up though, as there was people in the same class as me that signed up after me, so they didn't have to wait as long.

Just to compare, I originally wanted to be a member at Burlington gun club, because I live in Mississauga, my friend is a member there, and they are open 24 hrs! However I registered online through a link on their site, only to get an email a 2 months later saying they are not even accepting new application till Oct, and the kicker...There is no range class available till the end of 2015! My friend said to sign up anyways in Oct and just show up at every range class and try to catch a walk in, as there is always one or more people that flake out on the class and you can take their spot...

My range is Target sports, after tomorrows final prob shoot I am a full member and will get my key card and membership badge. Some people complain that it is really expensive, and a small range for the price. For me it was good because they offer the full package, I was able to go there for the first time shoot one of their Glock 17's, then buy the same model gun, and sign up for the range membership all in one trip to one place. They have a wide range of firearms in stock, and so far the largest selection of handguns on display. Since I wanted to start with handguns, it was nice to be able to see many different handguns and actually put them in my hand and compare them side by side at one store, rather then one store has this and another has that and I dont remember which one feels better etc. From what I have seen so far guns there are maybe $50 more then another store or online...For example I bought a Glock 19 from AlFlathertys because at the time Target sports didnt have any, it was reg price $774 but on sale for $51 off. Target sports now has them in stock also their reg price is $799 I believe, so if you compare reg prices only a $25 difference really....I bought the 2nd last one they had so the sale was over shortly after I bought it...Online I would get roughly the same prices by the time it got into my hands...

So far Im happy but Im new, so Im just happy to be shooting as soon as possible at an indoor range, in the spring I will most likely sign up to silverdale also as I plan to buy a rifle over the winter...Currently I only own 2 handguns, so target sports will keep me busy for the winter. I will decide later, after I try some other ranges if I want to renew or switch to another range....

Other people I met in the class where moving from other ranges to target sports for different reasons, 2 people so far mentioned wanting a automated target system being a reason to move from their range that doesn't have that... So for as many people that I hear saying TS sucks and is over priced, I hear the same amount saying they have been elsewhere and werent happy even if it was cheaper or just different from TS. I guess I will have to find out for myself also when I get to try other ranges...The good thing is now that I am a member of one range, I can get a LATT and once I hold one at one club I can then go to silverdale and Burlington as a guest with my friends that have memberships there, shoot there a day or 2 and see how I like them and go from there...

Last edited:

It all depends on what you want and what your looking for in the club you are joining....

I don't have 24/7 access, it's not indoor, and no auto retrieval of targets, but what we do have is

almost 200 acres of land, 2 ponds stocked with fish for fishing, a camp ground, trail system, one of the trails is for archery with 3D targets, and archery range, 2 trap houses, a rifle range, an outdoor club house, and an indoor one, rifle range is covered at least the area you shoot from and is heated somewhat so it's possible to shoot even in the middle of winter......

so it offers a lot, even if I don't use all of it

as for the waiting list, I didn't know it was so big, however we have meetings and I have heard they are looking at increasing the member count, will it pass vote who knows, but there is always a chance.....

I have no problem loading up my mags,,,,,5 rounds and or 10 rounds, by hand....

didn't your glock come with a loader ? my 1911 came with one as did my 45ACP

I would have said the same, until I tired this thing...Its not a requirement but why use your fingers at all when you can use this, and it works faster then I can do it without it...It was like $40 and worth every penny IMO

The one that came with the glocks is all plastic and crap compared to this because id just doesn't work as well, its very small so you dont get the same grip on it and its all plastic, where as this one the tang that pushes the rounds down is metal. Also this one is universal and works on almost all semi autos, I forgot mine and the range officer handed me his keys, he had it on as a key chain, and it made life way easier

Also I and my range have all factory Glock 10 rnd mags, I hear people prefer pinned 17 rnd mags because they aren't as hard to load when they get close to 10 rounds.

Im sure everyone already has one and it probably old news to most, but man was this thing money well spent!
UpLULA mag loader
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOaqyvd3LS0

lol
that thing is a life saver

i remember the first time i took my 9mm to the range and i was loading it by hand. though my fingers were gonna fall off by the end of the day when another fella came over and showed me the mag loader.

lol
that thing is a life saver

i remember the first time i took my 9mm to the range and i was loading it by hand. though my fingers were gonna fall off by the end of the day when another fella came over and showed me the mag loader.

Yeah man and I don't have girly hands either lol

Question does anyone every use a Gopro for first person view recording of range shooting? Im thinking of going tomorrow and bringing a friend that is just getting his lic, I want to film first person view and was thinking of picking up the Gopro head mount tomorrow morning at Bestbuy for $29.99 I think that will give a better view rather then a chest mount which will be too low?

I've done courses with 2000 rounds fired in a weekend.... you definitely want an uplula for that kinda thing :lol: lifesaver

I've done courses with 2000 rounds fired in a weekend.... you definitely want an uplula for that kinda thing :lol: lifesaver

I'll make sure not to forget it, as I might try to shoot 2000 rounds tomorrow afternoon lol

I tend to shoot 200-300 on a range trip... but I take my time and alternate between rifles and handguns so its more fun and less $$$$$

2k in an afternoon is work. lol

I tend to shoot 200-300 on a range trip... but I take my time and alternate between rifles and handguns so its more fun and less $$$$$

2k in an afternoon is work. lol

Yeah Im probably going to buy a 50 box of a few different calibers, as I am really enjoying trying the different calibers. So far I have shot .22 SA, .38spl SA/DA, 9mm, .40, and .45
Worst shot for me so far has been the .22 SA, and funny thing lots of people say to start with a .22 personally I hated it. The guys before me had to use a semi auto .22 and it was miss firing every couple of rounds

Yeah Im probably going to buy a 50 box of a few different calibers, as I am really enjoying trying the different calibers. So far I have shot .22 SA, .38spl SA/DA, 9mm, .40, and .45
Worst shot for me so far has been the .22 SA, and funny thing lots of people say to start with a .22 personally I hated it. The guys before me had to use a semi auto .22 and it was miss firing every couple of rounds

I go to my Glock 17 when I want to hate myself at the range, my CZ Shadow when I play IPSC, and my 1911-22 when I want to make tiny groups while blasting away lol

I go to my Glock 17 when I want to hate myself at the range, my CZ Shadow when I play IPSC, and my 1911-22 when I want to make tiny groups while blasting away lol

Next purchase Im going to go with something different, I want to go .45 so most likely a 1911 or a FNX .45, maybe a big *** revolver....My taste is changing fast, not that I dont like what I already have just want to taste more flavors

1911… because eventually everyone has to get a taste. Its an expensive disease.

Depends on the firearm and type of ammo. Have a m&p .22 (pic below) and never had a problem with cci, winchester white box and winchester m22. Now the federal, god help you.

Its almost identical to its big brother 9mm/357/40 and dirt cheap to shoot.

MP22_122000_R-1024x694.jpg

Agreed. .22 is finicky for several reasons but once you find what works well in your firearm, you're laughing. What works well in my son's Savage Rascal (bolt) is not liked at all in my SR22 (multiple FTE's). The SR REALLY likes Blazers... except that I can't find any so Remmy Thunderbolt it is.

Depends on the firearm and type of ammo. Have a m&p .22 (pic below) and never had a problem with cci, winchester white box and winchester m22. Now the federal, god help you.

Its almost identical to its big brother 9mm/357/40 and dirt cheap to shoot.

MP22_122000_R-1024x694.jpg

Back
Top Bottom