Watch out Novice Drivers. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Watch out Novice Drivers.

justride

What the definition of Novice Drivers ? M2?
Most likely applies to Novice Riders as well. Surprised about getting license suspension for 30km over.

Novice drivers.​

Novice drivers will face at least a 30-day licence suspension and possible licence cancellation when convicted for the following offences:
Police officer pulling over driver

• Speeding 30 km/hr or more over the speed limit

• Following too closely

• Careless driving

• Fail to remain at the scene of a collision

• Stunt driving

Last edited:
I am not familiar with this use of the term "novice driver". At first I was wondering if it was maybe an AI-generated article, but the language appears on the MTO's website here: Speeding and aggressive driving

I haven't found a formal definition of the term, but it does appear to mean G1/G2/M1/M2

I haven't found a formal definition of the term, but it does appear to mean G1/G2/M1/M2

Formal definition is here: Ontario Regulation 340/94

Section 29 is a huge section, this is part of it:

29. (1) A driver of a motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or a motor assisted bicycle, on a highway shall be classed as a novice driver in Class G1 or G2 unless he or she,
(a) is a fully licensed driver who has held at any time in the last three years a valid driver’s licence, other than a Class G1, G2, M, M1 or M2 driver’s licence, issued under the Act;
(b) is the equivalent of a fully licensed driver in Ontario, other than in Class M, and has held for at least 24 months in the last three years a valid driver’s licence, other than a driver’s licence equivalent to a Class M1 or M2 driver’s licence, issued by,
(i) another province or territory of Canada, Canada Forces Europe, a state of the United States of America or Japan, or
(ii) a jurisdiction which is a party to a valid and subsisting agreement with Ontario respecting the reciprocal exchange of driver’s licences; or
(c) is a member or former member of the Canadian Armed Forces who meets the requirements of section 6 of Ontario Regulation 341/94 (Driver Licence Examinations) made under the Act. O. Reg. 340/94, s. 29 (1); O. Reg. 671/98, s. 1 (1); O. Reg. 337/00, s. 1 (1); O. Reg. 83/05, s. 16 (1); O. Reg. 205/10, s. 11 (1); O. Reg. 145/15, s. 2.

(2) A driver of a motorcycle on a highway shall be classed as a novice driver in Class M1 or M2 unless he or she,
(a) has held at any time in the last three years a valid driver’s licence in Class M issued under the Act; or
(b) is the equivalent of a fully licensed driver in Ontario in Class M and has held for at least 24 months in the last three years a valid driver’s licence in a class equivalent to Class M, M1 or M2 issued by another province or territory of Canada, a state of the United States of America or Canada Forces Europe. O. Reg. 340/94, s. 29 (2); O. Reg. 205/10, s. 11 (2).

Goes on to to list other qualifications as well as exceptions... like you are automatically not a novice if you're these kinds of government officials:

(5) Subsections (1) to (4) do not apply to,

(a) the Governor General;
(b) the Lieutenant Governor;
(c) a representative of a foreign government who has taken a post in Ontario in the capacity of,
(i) ambassador, high commissioner or chargé d’affaires,
(ii) head of delegation or head of office,
(iii) minister-counsellor or minister,
(iv) counsellor,
(v) first, second or third secretary,
(vi) attaché,
(vii) military, air or naval attaché or advisor,
(viii) assistant military, air or naval attaché or advisor,
(ix) consul-general, consul, vice-consul or consular agent;
(d) the spouse of a representative referred to in clause (c);
(e) Canadian counterparts of the persons referred to in clauses (c) and (d) who return to Canada as residents of Ontario from assigned duty abroad;

LOL...

Interesting! I had no idea it was such a significant term

What a pile of horse$#!+. A 30 day suspension for something as subjective as following too closely? My son has spent his entire life racing, I'd trust him at 3" off the bumper in front of him way, way more than 70% of the @$$hats on the 401 at 30' from the car in front. And he's 15.

And why novice drivers? You hand a 30 day suspension to a kid that's following too closely and doesn't cause a collision, but let the dumb@$$ that does cause a collision off because they have ..... tenure? Winston Churchill is giggling in his grave right now.

What a pile of horse$#!+. A 30 day suspension for something as subjective as following too closely? My son has spent his entire life racing, I'd trust him at 3" off the bumper in front of him way, way more than 70% of the @$$hats on the 401 at 30' from the car in front. And he's 15.

And why novice drivers? You hand a 30 day suspension to a kid that's following too closely and doesn't cause a collision, but let the dumb@$$ that does cause a collision off because they have ..... tenure? Winston Churchill is giggling in his grave right now.
While I doubt this will have any impact, nice to see any attempt to reinstate that driving is a privilege not a right.

Not sure why Winston Churchill is giggling though...

That is fine on the track, not cool on public roads. People seeing other drivers doing that kind of behaviour is partly why we have the stupidity on our road, because they all think they can do it.

Maybe novices need to learn better habits instead of following into a bad pattern. Either way some attempt to curb this is better then none.

That is fine on the track, not cool on public roads. People seeing other drivers doing that kind of behaviour is partly why we have the stupidity on our road, because they all think they can do it.

Maybe novices need to learn better habits instead of following into a bad pattern. Either way some attempt to curb this is better then none.
So punish everyone the same! My point is that one gets a suspension for NOT causing an accident and the other doesn't get a suspension when they DO cause an accident. Only an idiot would think this is a logical approach.

Another CAA stats I found surprising. Thought the numbers would be much higher given the server penalties.

Collision

Speed-related collisions accounted for 16% of fatalities on Ontario's roads (MTO, 2019)

Why an improper lane change is faced with less than speeding 140km on your bike?
My guess would be speeding is easily recognized by all people and also easy to measure in setting the amount of money for each km.

What is an unsafe lane change in Alberta?

How Large is a Ticket for Changing Lanes in an Intersection ...

What is considered an unsafe lane change in Alberta? An unsafe lane change ticket is issued when the officer sees you change lanes, forcing the driver who's already in that lane to brake. There doesn't have to be an accident. That move is also referred to as an improper lane change.
Jul 15, 2020

Some people brake too soon, tool long, too late, too hard, too close, too far etc. What if the other driver in the lane you want to go into sped up and try to block you out? Again etc.

Why an improper lane change is faced with less than speeding 140km on your bike?
My guess would be speeding is easily recognized by all people and also easy to measure in setting the amount of money for each km.

In addition to fines, when speeding, you also have to shop around for the best rates on demerit points as well...

9GZRT79uYiQ5-GDSf0HoKhTfx7Pqf0IrOCNyWO4O13I.jpg

Subjective calls are subjective to road conditions.

The old standard was a car length for every 10 MPH. Try that at 100 KPH (60 MPH) in heavy traffic and you will be crawling as cars cut in front of you.

For fail to remain the driver should lose his citizenship rights as well.

Stunt driving AKA HTA 172 and kin are subjective as well. Out accelerate, not in seat etc so subjective call on subjective move in subjective road conditions. If the bar gets set any lower they'll have to dig a trench.

The old standard was a car length for every 10 MPH.
Would that be about the same as the 2 second rule. (2 second gap between you and car ahead)

This is gonna be more of a "if you're driving like an asshat, we have a reason to eff you over if you act like a little $hit"

Or at least thats how i read it

Back
Top Bottom