Waiting for pedestrians to cross entire road before proceeding? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Waiting for pedestrians to cross entire road before proceeding?

The changes to the HTA refers to a specific type of crosswalk specifically referred to and specifically defined in the HTA as a "pedestrian crossover", which is different from an ordinary "crosswalk" as also specifically referred to and defined in the HTA.

If the signage is not there for a given crosswalk, that crosswalk does not meet the stated definition of a pedestrian crossover to which the new legislation refers, period.

Do you have any google streetview links to some? I'm just curious to what kind of crossings you mean.

Do you have any google streetview links to some? I'm just curious to what kind of crossings you mean.

Here is one in Paris. https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.1935...b6hJYhh4lO4jJd2J7Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

In Toronto these things are limited by transportation department policy to streets with two-lanes or less in each direction, and even those are being more and more replaced by pedestrian-activated red light signals at mid-block crossing points. http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2001/agendas/council/cc010724/wks12rpt/cl016.pdf

They are still common in smaller towns where traffic densities are not as high and speeds are low.

Last edited:
That's right.

Ah, I see. Thanks. I initially thought it was for ALL crossings.
I drive past a couple daily. One is on a 4 lane road without a central island. Glad theres not many pedestrians there.

Ah, I see. Thanks. I initially thought it was for ALL crossings.
I drive past a couple daily. One is on a 4 lane road without a central island. Glad theres not many pedestrians there.

The ones with a center island is where the new law may be vague and need clarification.

If the center island is considered a place of safe refuge, then there is an argument to treat that pedestrian crossing as two separate crossings, one for say westbound lanes, and a separate one for eastbound lanes on an east/west route. In that case you in westbound traffic would need to stop only until the pedestrian has reached the center island. That would be a question worth posing to the Minister.

The new law has been updated into the Highway Traffic Act: http://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90h08#BK227

Riding in pedestrian crossover prohibited
(6) No person shall ride or operate a bicycle across a roadway within a pedestrian crossover. 2015, c. 14, s. 39 (2).

What's the over/under police will actually enforce this section? :lmao:

The new law has been updated into the Highway Traffic Act: http://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90h08#BK227

Riding in pedestrian crossover prohibited
(6) No person shall ride or operate a bicycle across a roadway within a pedestrian crossover. 2015, c. 14, s. 39 (2).

What's the over/under police will actually enforce this section? :lmao:

That's not new. It may have been updated, but bicycles have not been permitted to be used in crosswalks for years.

There are jaywalking laws?
I've seen a lady wander into traffic, stop all 4 lanes, two cop cars were in the vicinity and they both looked at each other and had a chuckle but never did anything. At the least this older lady probably could've used some help as she seemed lost.

Why not move over or slow down for ALL cars stopped on the shoulder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do that on major highways as no one wants someone blazing past them within inches at 140 kph but pretty much anywhere else I won't bother unless I'm going to stop and ask them if they need help.

You amateurs... Worried about pedestrians obeying the lights... I think we should start by having pedestrians not use the roadway as their walking path... I can scarcely get out of my driveway and not see them do it. If we can achieve that we can hope to start getting them to start obeying the lights..

On that topic: While this was on private property, it's a good illustration of their mentality.. I was at a plaza. Now, in front of the store, there is a roadway that can be used to access the parking lot. Directly in front of the doors, there is a large pedestrian crossing area where they have absolute right of way so they can cross over into the parking lot. Well, I was in the driving lane, but about 50m away from that crossing area, trying to make my way to that lot. Two "ladies" were waddling right down the middle of the driving lane without a care in the world. After about 30seconds of driving behind them, I honked my horn. One of them punched the hood of my car. Classy :cool:

On the topic of lights: I'm making a right turn on red (after making a full stop, of course - that's one of those laws I'm very anal about mostly to avoid becoming an easy mark for highway robbery). A jaywalking pedestrian runs right in front of my car, I barely stopped in time not to give him the Darwin award (or a hefty insurance payout). For some reason, he got upset at me for saving his worthless life.

On a side-note: I stopped at a stop sign (all way).. Then I proceeded straight through the intersection. One of our fine city's beloved cyclists blew through the stop and I barely stopped 1' in front of him. His reaction was the same as the jaywalking pedestrian's.

And the libtards are attacking the drivers instead? I'm betting 90% of pedestrian fatalities would disappear if the existing laws that apply to pedestrians would start getting applied on a consistent basis.

You amateurs... Worried about pedestrians obeying the lights... I think we should start by having pedestrians not use the roadway as their walking path... I can scarcely get out of my driveway and not see them do it. If we can achieve that we can hope to start getting them to start obeying the lights..

On that topic: While this was on private property, it's a good illustration of their mentality.. I was at a plaza. Now, in front of the store, there is a roadway that can be used to access the parking lot. Directly in front of the doors, there is a large pedestrian crossing area where they have absolute right of way so they can cross over into the parking lot. Well, I was in the driving lane, but about 50m away from that crossing area, trying to make my way to that lot. Two "ladies" were waddling right down the middle of the driving lane without a care in the world. After about 30seconds of driving behind them, I honked my horn. One of them punched the hood of my car. Classy :cool:

On the topic of lights: I'm making a right turn on red (after making a full stop, of course - that's one of those laws I'm very anal about mostly to avoid becoming an easy mark for highway robbery). A jaywalking pedestrian runs right in front of my car, I barely stopped in time not to give him the Darwin award (or a hefty insurance payout). For some reason, he got upset at me for saving his worthless life.

On a side-note: I stopped at a stop sign (all way).. Then I proceeded straight through the intersection. One of our fine city's beloved cyclists blew through the stop and I barely stopped 1' in front of him. His reaction was the same as the jaywalking pedestrian's.

And the libtards are attacking the drivers instead? I'm betting 90% of pedestrian fatalities would disappear if the existing laws that apply to pedestrians would start getting applied on a consistent basis.

Two weeks ago I saw a similar incident. I had whipped over to Best Buy, at Bramalea City Centre, to try and pick something up. As I'm walking toward the store I see a middle-aged couple walking right up the middle of the drive, with about 6 feet between them, thereby blocking the entire access. As I pass them a car comes up behind them and slows. after a few seconds of their obliviousness the driver toots the horn and is greeted with a verbal explosion by way of response. Apparently it's a parking lot and people walk there, so he was creating a dangerous situation for the pedestrians. The male continued on with how he was going to call the police on the driver and made a great show of walking around the back of the car, to take a picture of the license plate, while the still oblivious female remained standing in exactly the same place, in the middle of the drive. I started walking back to explain to the pedestrians how much their reaction showed a complete lack of intelligence but as I did, the incident ended.

I also make a point to stop properly at all signs and lights, but seem to be one of the few left. At this point, in residential areas all over the GTA, stop signs are merely a suggestion.

When I was a kid we were taught to look both ways before crossing the street, always cross at an appropriate spot, and that cars were a dangerous and potentially deadly thing to be respected. Now everything has been flipped on its head and apparently pedestrians have no responsibility for their own safety. I wouldn't refer to it as a "libtard" thing. It's not inherently liberal, nor conservative. It's an issue of entitlement and craven politicking.

The ones with a center island is where the new law may be vague and need clarification.

If the center island is considered a place of safe refuge, then there is an argument to treat that pedestrian crossing as two separate crossings, one for say westbound lanes, and a separate one for eastbound lanes on an east/west route. In that case you in westbound traffic would need to stop only until the pedestrian has reached the center island. That would be a question worth posing to the Minister.

The timing of some crossings dont allow pedestrians to cross the whole length of roadway (Both sides of the island) in one go.

That's not new. It may have been updated, but bicycles have not been permitted to be used in crosswalks for years.

that is correct.. and I see parents and their kids doing this in my neighbourhood. Not the kids fault, as they follow their parents lead.. but I bet the parents dont know the law. Most these people got their licence many years ago, and probably havent kept up with HTA changes over the years.
Its something not enforced unless they are doing a bicycle blitz on the waterfront/martin goodman trail.

When I was a kid we were taught to look both ways before crossing the street, always cross at an appropriate spot, and that cars were a dangerous and potentially deadly thing to be respected. Now everything has been flipped on its head and apparently pedestrians have no responsibility for their own safety. I wouldn't refer to it as a "libtard" thing. It's not inherently liberal, nor conservative. It's an issue of entitlement and craven politicking.

These pedestrians would get a shock downunder. Although pedestrians have the right of way, we are taught the same principles you mention above, and the driving culture down there will also *remind* us of this. ie. We have reasonable aggressive drivers, and as pedestrians we tend to follow the rules and give way to the cars... even if we may have the right of way. Saves a trip to the hospital.

Interestingly enough reading this: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadcode/about-other-road-users/information-for-pedestrians.html
there are recommendations for pedestrians.. and I also see that Courtesy Crossings are not full pedestrian crossings:

Courtesy crossings are not official pedestrian crossings. They provide a place where drivers can stop safely to allow pedestrians to cross.
However, drivers are not obliged to stop at courtesy crossings, so use them with care

courtesy-crossing.jpg

Oh, and in 2002, soon after I arrived here, I was crossing the road on University Ave at the corner but against the lights and had two police officers walking the beat give me a chat about the dangers of jaywalking. Apparently the old lady behind me could have followed me and got run over.

I also make a point to stop properly at all signs and lights, but seem to be one of the few left. At this point, in residential areas all over the GTA, stop signs are merely a suggestion.

I wouldn't mind having many of them replaced with Yield signs assuming today's crop of drivers had the mental capacity to understand the meaning of the sign :cool: Most of them are a waste of time. My motivation in those cases is more along the lines of not wanting to get nailed with a cheap ticket. For the same reason I signal my turns/lane changes even when there are no vehicles/pedestrians around (yes, I know the wording of the law, but a ticket-happy cop, lying in wait, might not or he might try to nail me regardless). Of course, in traffic, I never fail to signal.

Warning: Language NSFW
[video=youtube;ov4JvTiQWUU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov4JvTiQWUU[/video]

Amen... When I was 4-5 years old, I was taught in kindergarten to only cross at pedestrian crossovers, to look both ways and to keep an eye out for cars at all times. We didn't have school buses where I used to live. We were taught to take responsibility for our safety. It saved my life one day (I was 12-13) when a jackass blew a red while going 150 at least. Even though the way was clear when I started crossing, by continually scanning for cars, I noticed him barrelling down on me and avoided a serious injury by a ..... hair (literally took off my right shoe). In Toronto, your typical 12-13 year-olds will just spread out across a driving lane and stroll or just congregate. Loved doing a downshift at high RPM's with the Hindle pipe... Very effective at getting those types back onto the nice, wide, flat sidewalk :cool:

I get honked at about once every 2 weeks for stopping at a red light to make a right. About 100 meters from where I live, there's a 3 way stop sign intersection where I'd say 80% of the drivers do not stop fully, of those 30% slow to 30km/h (40km/h zone), and 10% don't even touch their brakes and blow through doing 40-50km/h. It is also a pickup spot for the school bus in the morning.

Stopping for stop signs or red lights (on right turns) seems to be a thing of the past.

that is correct.. and I see parents and their kids doing this in my neighbourhood. Not the kids fault, as they follow their parents lead.. but I bet the parents dont know the law. Most these people got their licence many years ago, and probably havent kept up with HTA changes over the years.
Its something not enforced unless they are doing a bicycle blitz on the waterfront/martin goodman trail.

Hence why I think that blitzes are a stupid idea. Enforce the law. Every day. Do you only rub your dog's nose in the poop, if he goes on the carpet, just once every 6 months or do you do it when it happens? Is the 3rd Tuesday of the month the day you set out for scolding your child when he writes on the wall? The same works with people.

Back
Top Bottom