vancouver for a few days | GTAMotorcycle.com

vancouver for a few days

iblastoff

gonna explore the sea to sky highway, despite all the recent moto crashes on there.

any other spots or areas i should hit up?

S2S is nice, but since they built the divider and made it two-lanes, it's kind of a weak-sauce version of what it used to be.

Most motorcyclists ride the S2S from Van->Squamish/Whistler and then back, but if you have the time, try the Duffy Loop instead. It's Van->Lillooet->Lytton->Van.

It's about a 7-8 hour ride, but north of Pemberton, you'll get an idea of what the S2S used to look like before the Olympics. Less traffic north of Whistler and you can really let loose on the throttle without fear of popo. Be respectful and bring your speed down as you enter the reservations on the north and east sides of the Loop, the rez police don't take kindly to speeders in their community. Hwy 12, the east side of the loop from Lillooet down to Hope, is a lot smaller road with interesting curves the further south.

Some pics of the Duffy Loop north of Pemberton to whet your appetite.

DSCN2912-X2.jpg

DSCN2918-X2.jpg

DSCN2928-X2.jpg

for sea to sky highway i'll probably just do the ride to squamish and then back like most others.

im in van for 4 days but will only have a bike for 2. bike rental is expensive there (at least compared to riders-share type deals in the US) and the place im renting from (BC Cycles) only allows 300km per day and then they make you pay per km lol.

so yah i probably wont be able to do the duffy loop but it looks sweet! i'm just after nice scenic rides or stops. will be my first time in vancouver!

Van to Squamish is quite short, about 45 mins one way. Make it a real ride and go to Whistler at least. Then you can walk around the Olympic village a little bit, take the peak2peak gondola for some nice views of the mountain before hopping back on the bike.

Maybe it's just me, but if I was renting a bike and paying for 300 km/day, I'd try to get all my money's worth and aim for 300 km/day.

Duffy Loop is 577 kms and you can do it over two days. Just sayin'...

Last edited:
Another nice ride is on Vancouver Island. You can take a ferry over there and they can meet you with the bike close to the dock.

The place you're renting from, CycleBC has a Victoria location, and Vic->Tofino is about 300 kms one way. We've rented from them several times at both the Van and Vic locations. A respectable outfit.

Tofino:

tofino-X2.jpg

thanks for the suggestion! although im already home now haha.

i just ended up doing the sea to sky highway! i thought it was fun! at least compared to what im used to (toronto commuting).
saw some sweet wildlife.

i also love the clutch lever on this bike. incredibly light.

67116b6dddb64a3c5368411d9fb00358.jpg

7a07e053c3c27845e5964fd95195630c.jpg

ea03113bda68a2e82f2a83b1bac07aed.jpg

a11c9ca79f302e2cf0c801214e5de516.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thanks for the suggestion! although im already home now haha.

i just ended up doing the sea to sky highway! i thought it was fun! at least compared to what im used to (toronto commuting).
saw some sweet wildlife.

i also love the clutch lever on this bike. incredibly light.

67116b6dddb64a3c5368411d9fb00358.jpg

7a07e053c3c27845e5964fd95195630c.jpg

ea03113bda68a2e82f2a83b1bac07aed.jpg

a11c9ca79f302e2cf0c801214e5de516.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Very nice. Thanks for sharing. Whistler is nice, but beyond it is awesome. Pemberton and Lillooet and then over to Cache Creek is a fantastic ride.
I was lucky last year. I have family at Shuswap Lake and stayed there for a few days.

Very nice. Thanks for sharing. Whistler is nice, but beyond it is awesome. Pemberton and Lillooet and then over to Cache Creek is a fantastic ride.
I was lucky last year. I have family at Shuswap Lake and stayed there for a few days.

i almost made it to pemberton lol. but i was a cheap bastard and also was keeping an eye on the ODO. i came back to BC Cycles literally at 295km so didnt have to pay any overages haha.

i also had to use a free rental helmet. grosss.

Where did you rent from, and approximate cost?

EDIT - OK, I see BC Cycles.

Where did you rent from, and approximate cost?

EDIT - OK, I see BC Cycles.
yep! and depends on the bike. i picked the triumph for 180$ a day.

you do have to have a credit card authorization hold as well ($2500 at least for that bike. not sure if that changes if you choose another)

That Triumph Street Twin 900 sounds fantastic doesn't it?

i thought it was fantastic! fave thing is still the super feather light clutch haha. compared to my ducati scrambler its night and day.
It's an 800 Scrambler you have right? How do you compare the 2? I've always loved the Street Twin (owned a Speed Twin for a year).

It's an 800 Scrambler you have right? How do you compare the 2? I've always loved the Street Twin (owned a Speed Twin for a year).

honestly my favourite thing about the scrambler is how incredibly light it is for a semi-retro inspired style bike. any time i'm on a heavier bike (like my royal enfield 650) and then go back to the scrambler, it feels like i'm tossing around a bicycle.

the triumph definitely doesn't feel as light to me. i'm probably just more sensitive to weight because i loooove light bikes. i also find the seat height to be a little too cruiser'ish (feels very low) but thats just a preference.
i also expected the gear shifting to be smoother on the triumph but i definitely had bit of an issue finding neutral sometimes. that could just be clutch setup/getting used to it/etc/random rental bike issue though. although tbh finding neutral in traffic on my scrambler has always been extremely tricky.

for some reason i was surprised the triumph tank only has 12L capacity. the tank looks fat from the top and i assumed it could hold at least close to 14L like the scrambler can. i have no idea what the scrambler tank looks like internally but love that the tank feels and looks so small but can actually hold a decent amount of fuel and still not weigh much at all.

other than that though, i loved riding the triumph!

Back
Top Bottom