Using Uhaul trailer for trackdays. yay or nay? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Using Uhaul trailer for trackdays. yay or nay?

ok you are learning a lil bit...
you are right but.... the greater force broke the stick.. in this case.. your cars framce/hitch/towbar/hitchball.

Sweet so ..
. let me understand your redneck physics. .... Going over the bump will increase the weight..... Because apparently it cause greater force....

Lets look at that fancy formula from our friend above : f = m a. Now which one is changed? M or a?

Lol thanks for the laugh.

Here's a free lesson for you. Maybe you have forgotten this stuff?

When the vehicle hits a bump the Z coordinate changes (Z direction being elevation).

Differentiate the Z coordinate over time to derive your velocity curve.

Differentiate the velocity over one to derive your acceleration curve.

This is pretty basic physics, so I don't know where you became confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet so ..
. let me understand your redneck physics. .... Going over the bump will increase the weight..... Because apparently it cause greater force....

Let look at that fance formula from our friend above : f = m a. Now which one is changed? M or a?

f=m*a
normally "a" would be in reference equal to g(gravity)
a bump would mean f=m*(g+bump)

FmaKinematics3.gif

Last edited:

When the vehicle hits a bump the Z coordinate changes (Z direction being elevation).

I don't understand any of this but the 2x4 and bricks works in my head

Great now explain how that affect the tongue weight. Better yet explain why the force goes to the hitch (based on his reply )

It's time...

FR.jpg

So 450 on the tongue sitting still. How much does it weigh going over a bump?

You dont seem to understand here. Going over the bump has no effect on the hitch as its already class 3. The force will be on your spring.

So you should ask if your spring can handle the load

Maybe re read my damn post. Lol the weight doesnt change. I already acknowledged the force. Keep it coming rednecks

Last edited:
Again it's not me that's confused.

At static equilibrium (ie driving down a perfectly level road with super awesome smooth pavement) the vertical force exerted on the hitch (F gravity) is equal to F=ma. m being the mass of the trailer that is distributed to the ***** and a being gravitational acceleration.

When you hit a bump there is an additional force (F accel) exerted on the hitch equal to F=ma. m being the same mass as previously mentioned but a being the acceleration derived from the change in vertical position.

The force exerted on the hitch, is the vector sum of (F accel) and (F gravity).

Are we done here?

Last edited:
COOL i don't even like caboose.. you are making me actually like this guys patience..
personally i wanna hit you over the head with a stick till it breaks just to say

'T
hats why."

monkeys1_1208243c.jpg

Last edited:
Where did i say about going over the rating.

The weight of the bike is 450lbs so thats your tongue weight. Does that exceed class 3 hitch?

This is actually totally incorrect.

The weight of your load is not your tongue weight. it depends on where your load is in relation to the axles of the trailer, the number of axles, and the height of the load in relation to the hitch if not more and more things. Think about how guys with pickup trucks pull 3000 pound boats.... the tongue weight is not 3000 pounds.

The acceleration that is relevant here is the vertical acceleration of the object. On a smooth road, the force on the tongue is relatively stable since there isn't much vertical acceleration. Going over a bump, the vertical acceleration of the bike and carrier will rapidly increase, which increases the force on the tongue.

Go stick a 2x2 in the receiver and stand on it. It'll support your weight. But it'll probably break if you jump up and down on it.

Last edited:
Math fights on the internts are funny.

cool - drive down a flat road with your hand between the hitch and the tounge. That pain you will experience is the tounge weight from your trailer. When you hit a dip or bump in the road, your bones breaking in your hand are the result of the force on the tounge of the trailer changing.

As an aside, I'd imagine the tounge ratings for a hitch are static weights, and have the additional dynamic forces factored in.

This is actually totally incorrect. The weight of your load is not your tongue weight..

He's not towing a trailer, it's a hitch carrier he's contemplating so it's close to correct (just add the weight of the carrier).

I'm just waiting for him to google "max tongue weight toyota camry" to realize he's been wrong all along.

He's not towing a trailer, it's a hitch carrier he's contemplating so it's close to correct (just add the weight of the carrier).

I'm just waiting for him to google "max tongue weight toyota camry" to realize he's been wrong all along.

Ohhh right, I'd forgotten this had gone on so long! hahaha, I thought it was about the trailer in a bag or something still, but had gone on to hitch receivers. :)

As Buck says, though... in his aside... I'd imagine they have those things factored in, and you don't have to get out your protractor and calculator to know what your 450 pound load weighs in a negative vertical acceleration. :)

So 450 on the tongue sitting still. How much does it weigh going over a bump?

Again it's not me that's confused.

At static equilibrium (ie driving down a perfectly level road with super awesome smooth pavement) the vertical force exerted on the hitch (F gravity) is equal to F=ma. m being the mass of the trailer that is distributed to the ***** and a being gravitational acceleration.

When you hit a bump there is an additional force (F accel) exerted on the hitch equal to F=ma. m being the same mass as previously mentioned but a being the acceleration derived from the change in vertical position.

The force exerted on the hitch, is the vector sum of (F accel) and (F gravity).

Are we done here?

Good but one thing: The F accel is on the whole car not at the tongue point. Your spring will absord most of the energy

Back
Top Bottom