unexpected passengers and helmets | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

unexpected passengers and helmets

It's legally required gear. If you let them ride without it, you might be held partially responsible for their death or injury.

Unfortunately, if you get in an accident with someone who has a litigious family, you could have them in full race leathers with a top of the line full face, with one of those airbag jackets on, and wrapped in bubble wrap while riding inside a zorb ball, and you're still going to get sued.

I'd be careful. There are different versions of DOT beanies. If you see a real and a fake together, you can quickly tell which is which. If a helmet-less passenger suffers brain damage, you could have more trouble than it's worth.
I would never forget it if I was part of the reason someone got injured. Even a ride around a parking lot can be dangerous. Bikes are more stable at higher speeds. Lower speeds with a novice pillion can make handling tough.

For a short ride around a parking lot a dropped or used helmet wouldn't bother me. On the road, do it right.

Everything is fun until someone gets hurt.

I would never forget it if I was part of the reason someone got injured. Even a ride around a parking lot can be dangerous. Bikes are more stable at higher speeds. Lower speeds with a novice pillion can make handling tough.

For a short ride around a parking lot a dropped or used helmet wouldn't bother me. On the road, do it right.

Everything is fun until someone gets hurt.

One of my pet peeves is seeing a rider wearing better protection than their passenger, mostly because I was guilty of this myself when I was young and dumb. Seeing a rider in full leathers with a passenger in shorts/leggings/jeans and a t-shirt just rubs me the wrong way. Or an improperly fitting helmet.

I stopped carrying passengers somewhere around 1990. There was a regular car/bike hangout at the Zoy's/Tim Horton's plaza at Dundas and Confederation in Mississauga. The younger mechanic at Mississauga Kawasaki (not Oliver) led a group ride headed west on Dundas. After passing Mississauga Road, he changed into the left turn lane for what he thought was the upcoming light, but it was actually the left run lane for the plaza with an island to right after to separate it from the light's left turn lane (see pic). He clipped the island and went down with his girlfriend on the back. He seemed fine, but she was screaming with her hands all bloody holding her face. One of the guys picked up her helmet, looked at us, and mouthed the word "teeth". The next week when I was hanging out with Oliver at the shop, he said that she was in the hospital with her jaw wired shut. That was enough to convince me that I never wanted to be responsible for someone on the back of my bike, even if it wasn't my fault.

1709823047273.png

One of my pet peeves is seeing a rider wearing better protection than their passenger, mostly because I was guilty of this myself when I was young and dumb. Seeing a rider in full leathers with a passenger in shorts/leggings/jeans and a t-shirt just rubs me the wrong way. Or an improperly fitting helmet.

I stopped carrying passengers somewhere around 1990. There was a regular car/bike hangout at the Zoy's/Tim Horton's plaza at Dundas and Confederation in Mississauga. The younger mechanic at Mississauga Kawasaki (not Oliver) led a group ride headed west on Dundas. After passing Mississauga Road, he changed into the left turn lane for what he thought was the upcoming light, but it was actually the left run lane for the plaza with an island to right after to separate it from the light's left turn lane (see pic). He clipped the island and went down with his girlfriend on the back. He seemed fine, but she was screaming with her hands all bloody holding her face. One of the guys picked up her helmet, looked at us, and mouthed the word "teeth". The next week when I was hanging out with Oliver at the shop, he said that she was in the hospital with her jaw wired shut. That was enough to convince me that I never wanted to be responsible for someone on the back of my bike, even if it wasn't my fault.

View attachment 66443
Concur.

I always take the time during in class theory to touch on feeling responsible for passengers.

View attachment 66443
Seeing young girls on the back of sport bikes in shorts and flipflops makes me angry.
I have seen many a cruiser with their kids on the back wearing pretty much the same. I want to beat the living crap out of those guys.

Seeing young girls on the back of sport bikes in shorts and flipflops makes me angry.
I have seen many a cruiser with their kids on the back wearing pretty much the same. I want to beat the living crap out of those guys.

My daughter has only ridden with me maybe 5 times, but I spent the cash to buy her proper gear including a riding jacket and full face.

Yeah, I sometimes ride without my jacket and almost always a half helmet, but not my kids.

My son is almost 30 and has zero interest in riding however. He has been oogling my buddies ZX14R that's currently in my garage however, but I informed him his insurance would be about $2000 a month and he lost interest lol.

I agree with everything except the beating part..
Put those words into action and see where it gets you.. You can't beat the stupid out of people..

Saw this today and thought of this thread.

Best I remember was a few years back when I looping around Superior. I checked into a campground ahead of a guy on a fGS 650 riding to a BMW rally with a 7-year-old passenger. The guy had been riding for 7 hours, the kid had a harness connected to dad and the bike's backrest... it was setup so dad could ride while the kid slept.

The 2005 me put them in hockey helmets that I got from my buddies garage.

Another time, meet a girl at the ttc stop and she wanted a ride, and she was down to go all night, so dialed a friend who promptly delivered me his spare shoei and off we went to the races. If there is a will big poppa, there is a way. ;)

The 2005 me put them in hockey helmets that I got from my buddies garage.

Another time, meet a girl at the ttc stop and she wanted a ride, and she was down to go all night, so dialed a friend who promptly delivered me his spare shoei and off we went to the races. If there is a will big poppa, there is a way. ;)

IMG_3322.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom