Ukash virus Ransomeware | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ukash virus Ransomeware

Hawk

I have this virus on one computer, it's completely locked up and wants $100 to release. Does anyone have experience with this, maybe used a company (Staples, Bestbuy or ??) to get rid of it. I used Future Shop years ago to remove a virus and they couldn't do anything. I have no intention of paying the money to some bandit. I would hope to save my files but if need be will format the drive and start over. Thanks for any help/ideas.

download ccleaner and malaware bytes anti malaware programs. i think they should be able to detect and remove it. i had the same problem with one of my computers recently and one of those two programs found and removed a trojan horse, so I'll assume it was the ukash trojan because i haven't had a problem since then.

On the tv show App Central they showed a usb stick that had a virus checker on it. I didn't catch the name of it but you put it into your usb port and turn on your computer and it does the scan and fixes the virus for you. I think it works on boot viruses as well.

I had it recently as well. It's in the startup folder. Boot in safe mode, run the above mentioned software. Also delete the exe file in the startup menu. Run msconfig. Boot startup tab look for the crazy named boot software it implemented. It tries to fake a Microsoft software name
name.

good luck!

I had it recently as well. It's in the startup folder. Boot in safe mode, run the above mentioned software. Also delete the exe file in the startup menu. Run msconfig. Boot startup tab look for the crazy named boot software it implemented. It tries to fake a Microsoft software name
name.

good luck!

This plus boot in safe mode.
While in msconfig try to eliminate which prog is hogging resources

The AVG Rescue CD is a standalone set of tools that can be started from CD or USB flash disk. It can be used to recover computers that are not able to boot or are infected in a way that will not allow normal operation. The whole CD or USB flash drive is a live CD with Linux operating system and AVG preinstalled on it.

On another computer, download and burn the CD image, or create the Bootable USB drive (dump contents of rar or zip file to USB drive).
Boot your infected computer from CD or USB drive.

http://www.avg.com/ca-en/download.prd-arl

Last edited:
I just had this happen to me and I found a way to fix it in about 20 min.... Go to control panel and select restore computer to earlier date.... Restore it to a date before the infection and bam! No more ukash virus.... Even if it doesn't completely erase it it will unlock everything and enable you to run a virus and spyware check .... Cheers!

Never ever pay these guys. You send them money and they don't clean your computer. Follow the above advice or rebuild your computer.

Hey.. boot into safe mode hehehe

Last edited:
3 steps: 1) Pull out hard drive; 2) throw in fire; 3) insert new hard drive

...or Malwarebytes

One of the better way to deal with these types of viruses is to have a Linux CD that is bootable that has a virus checker for windows on it. Boot up in Linux and run the checker.

3 steps: 1) Pull out hard drive; 2) throw in fire; 3) insert new hard drive

...or Malwarebytes

Although malwarebytes is one of the better solutions, it will not always detect or get rid of the virus. If your personal information is at risk, ie you do banking or online transactions, its better to do/get trid of it the right way.

Even though their virus definitions are updated regularly on MB, if it is a unique (not publicly available) RAT, chances are that MB will not detect it.

Last edited:
Although malwarebytes is one of the better solutions, it will not always detect or get rid of the virus. If your personal information is at risk, ie you do banking or online transactions, its better to do/get trid of it the right way.

Even though their virus definitions are updated regularly on MB, if it is a unique (not publicly available) RAT, chances are that MB will not detect it.

That's true, though so far I've been fortunate and Malwarebytes has always come through for me. I don't get infected very often though.

That's true, though so far I've been fortunate and Malwarebytes has always come through for me. I don't get infected very often though.

Yep, thats usually the case, but you wouldn't know if it really got rid of the virus(s) or not if it is undetected. You would most probably have to use netstat to make sure you don't have any unknown open connections to someone/something random.

After being on the other side of the fence at one point, I have somewhat become paranoid of being "RATted" as a lot of the times you(the slave) are sold to many people for them to browse through your information at the cost of an avg of $0.02-$0.04.... If you find yourself getting viruses randomly after knowing that you have not downloaded anything dangerous or gone to unknown Java based websites, this is usually the case of someone selling you to others that don't have an Fully Undetected Virus.

hearing about this quite a bit lately

Because they improved this hustle (using now strong encryption, practically unbeatable), and now it is either pay $$$ or lose your files. I have seen asking prices of up to ~$500 per PC (around 1 bitcoin) and ~$100 per smartphone. Some people will ask for 1.5 bitcoin (around $750-800).

Please make a backup of all your important files, if this happens to you, simply wipe the computer and reinstall everything, the more people who pay, the more this scam will keep happening.

Phishing campaigns: do not click on URL within spam emails!! Be vigilant of attachments. Actually, just make a habit of not even opening the email if subject and sender doesn't seem right.

Back
Top Bottom